KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Chapin International Reviews

Updated Oct 12, 2021

Found 82 of over 86 reviews

3.6
Chapin International President / CEO Jim Campbell (no image)
Jim Campbell
Pros
  • "Great, collaborative work environment(in 4 reviews)

• "pay is good(in 4 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Chapin has high performance standards, but I consider that more of a positive than an negative(in 8 reviews)

• "The lack of training and lack of support from management make it hard for them to do their job(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Opportunities / Recognition / Great Co-Workers

Jun 11, 2021 - Director of Sales in Batavia, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

When you can reflect on having 40+ years at one company you can call it a “career”. It is gratifying to know a company exists where you can work hard and be recognized and rewarded. My success at Chapin International was a result of many factors, but having great co-workers throughout the years and a CEO who acknowledged my dedication and support of the company goals brought me from production worker to Director of Sales. Our business is very competitive, so the expectations are high and the pace is fast. Results are continued growth and success year after year. Chapin can offer you a challenging and rewarding career with great benefits (health insurance, 401k, education, etc.).

Cons

Very busy and fast paced environment leads to long hours and can be stressful at times.

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Shipping Receiving

Oct 6, 2021 - Warehouse Worker
      Business Outlook

Pros

Well established company , with great expectations

Cons

Poor management and the training is very lacking at times

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not a bad Place to work

Oct 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great products, good benefits, updated equipment

Cons

micro-managed, lots of tension management mtgs

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Fast paced growth company with unlimited opportunities

Mar 25, 2021 - Vice President Outdoor Products in Batavia, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I had the privilege of working at Chapin International Inc. for the last 6 years of my career in Sales and Sales Management. You won’t find a better group of highly skilled employees anywhere. Everyone has a “can do” attitude that supports the fast paced, ever changing environment necessary for companies to compete in today’s economy. At Chapin employees make the difference! Your ideas and suggestions are taken into consideration and are often acted upon. The CEO has his hands on the pulse of our day to day operations as well as the long term strategic initiatives. He has high expectations of all the employees and trusts them to deliver on their commitments as agreed upon in the annual operating plan. The compensation and benefit programs are highly competitive for the industry. If you’re looking for a challenging and rewarding career with a fast paced growth company focused on innovation, product quality and its customers, then Chapin would be a great place for you.

Cons

Since this is a fast paced company, at times changes are implemented prior to effectively communicating the change to all involved parties.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Large company with a small company feel

Dec 14, 2020 - Senior Designer in Batavia, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great co-workers. I used to work for a small company that had a very close team. I feared going to a larger team as you can sometimes feel like a cog in a machine. But just about everyone I have encountered has been quite friendly. I even regularly carpooled with some and thats something I never did at my previous job. Great management staff. Again, at my previous job I really did enjoy my team and my boss. They did their best to show me appreciation and I again feared how this would translate with a larger company. However, I don't know why I ever worried. I have felt quite appreciated. And not just financially, but also with words of affirmation/recognition and command of certain projects and tasks. I know how important it is to show employees you care beyond just giving them more money and I can certainly tell they go the extra mile when possible.

Cons

Long commute. This is really the only item that bothers me. However its a more personal issue and I have already started looking at places to move closer to alleviate this issue.

Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you are enjoying your time here at Chapin. I understand your situation with commuting distance. Chapin has its roots here in Batavia and is able to benefit from drawing talented employees from both the Buffalo and Rochester metropolitan areas. That benefit can lead to long commutes for some employees.

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

The reason why unions exist

Aug 25, 2021 - Production Supervisor in Batavia, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pay is good and the medical insurence are good.

Cons

Union members are treated bad and if you are a supervisor you are expected to treat them bad to. If you don't, you get in trouble. There is tons of overtime and it is mandatory. You will work 6 days a week jut about every week.

7. 3.0
      Current Employee

Good money, but its sink or swim.

Aug 3, 2021 - Forklift Operator in Batavia, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Money is decent for the area.

Cons

Management treats you bad most of the time.

8. 2.0
      Former Employee

Nice coworkers

Jul 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Your co-workers are decent people; benefits very good.

Cons

Leadership is poor; bully-like mentality.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Love my job

Dec 14, 2020 - E-Commerce Specialist in Batavia, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Recognition of a job well done by team members * High personal and professional expectations and drive is needed to succeed - management helps you get there * Clear goals and expectations - with understanding by management if those goals can't be met - the employee needs to give clear and real reasons why with adequate timing before due dates * Love working with my team and across teams - great dynamics * Wellness initiatives are getting stronger * Lots of plans by the party committee and alternatives with COVID

Cons

* Distance from my home, the commute is long

Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Communication is always difficult and social distancing has limited our ability to hold large meetings. Communication between departments is critical and it is something that HR is working to improve.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

a strong and growing company

Jan 4, 2021 - Director, Marketing in Batavia, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

It is a pleasure to be part of a team that is so committed to the company's continued success. It is not a company for those that embrace the status quo. Teamwork is the driver of Chapin's success and it breeds pride among the entire Chapin family as the company continues to deliver great American made products year after year. Coworkers are like family. Everyday brings new and diverse challenges that lead to great opportunities. And... the people are just plain fun to work with.

Cons

Chapin's home is in western New York. It is one of the most difficult states to operate in which sometimes impedes productivity. State restrictions can be frustrating.

Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. The people here are fun to work with! Chapin has been rooted here in Western New York for over 120 years, sometime it is frustrating for sure.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 82 Reviews