Charles B. Wang Community Health Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Jane T Eng

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great community work and mission driven staff"

I have been working at Charles B. Wang Community Health Center full-time

Pros

Great staff to work with
    Wonderful patients/community served

Cons

Lack of support for growth among leadership
    High turnover

"Not an ideal workplace"

Former Employee - Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Charles B. Wang Community Health Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good medical and dental benefits as well as retirement plans
    - Vacation days are abundant only if you accrue enough days or if you are in a management position
    - Located in middle of Chinatown where there are good and cheap eats
    - Large medical facility where there are two separate buildings to see doctors, dentists, pediatricians, and OB/GYNs.
    - Located very near to SOHO too

Cons

- Salary is so low for non-management employees, you need to pick up pennies off the ground during lunch time to make ends meet
    - No vision insurance, lack of communication from management to employees. For an Asian organization that serves the Asian community in which a majority wears glasses and not offering vision insurance to employees is a shame. -
    - Management level employees promote themselves in which I've no idea how that is even possible. Oh wait! It is possible, only if you kiss up!

Advice to Management

My review of CBWCHC:
    I worked at a few healthcare companies before CBWCHC and decided to work here because of my Chinese language skills. During 2013-2016, I was miserable. I didn't work directly with patients, however, I worked as an assistant for these years. This place is demoralizing to say the least. But I was determined not to give up. I'm all about being humble, seeking new learning opportunities and especially, GRIT. I did what I needed to stay in the game even if I needed to stay a bit later or volunteer at CBWCHC's health events and outings.

It was these past few years that really affected me how I think every day about other people's job. Treat others like how YOU want to be TREATED. I never thought I'd say this, but I am SO glad I experienced such a terrible work place.

There were times I thought it would never end. Those who know me know that it was during these years I built a credible reputation at CBWCHC because of my sense of urgency and passion to help others. If anything, I'm not a quitter. But it was HARD.

I went to several interviews throughout the city while avoiding employment agencies. But, I would never get offers from these companies I interviewed with. But, they were lessons on how to break free from healthcare in fields I had not known that existed.

Late last year, I went to another interview outside of the healthcare industry - she knew EXACTLY what it's like and what I needed, who you need to work for and got an offer two hours after I met with her. She got me. Find a TEAM, not a WORKPLACE. Find a manager to work with who "gets you" and stay in the game.

Not too many employees at CBWCHC offer a lending hand. And, for those who take initiative, they go above and beyond and DESERVE a better opportunity. If any manager or HR Supervisor is reading this, please don't hide in yourself in the back corner. You need to fight for your employees even if you have no one to fight for you. If you think that not helping new or current employees isn't important, then no one is stopping you on continuing on what you are currently doing - IGNORING or pushing work/giving work to assistants & going on too many vacations.

Like with any opportunities with Asian-related workplaces, you will get reprimanded like a condescending priest. Moving on to another opportunity was my best decision I ever made.

"A good place to start"

I have been working at Charles B. Wang Community Health Center full-time

Pros

In some cases this place can be a great place to start your career. Easy-going environment and friendly staff. Lots to learn and always something to do.

Cons

Extremely underpaid place to work. Very little opportunity for growth while management pays little to no attention to internal staff. "Ruling with a iron fist" comes to mind here. Management very easily undermines staff and their suggestions, while continuing to favor themselves.

Advice to Management

Take courses on leadership and business psychology if you want the company to succeed in the long run. Your staff is what makes your company function. If you forget they're there, you can expect higher turn over rates.

4. "Low pay"

I worked at Charles B. Wang Community Health Center full-time

Pros

Great place to work if you are looking for a more laid back environment. Great benefits if you stay long term.

Cons

Very low pay. Essentially a place to get experience and exposure. Hard to get raise. High turnover

Advice to Management

Pay your staff better to prevent high turnover rate. provide opportunities for growth so there is incentive to stay.

"Political and Management Plays Favorites"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flushing, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flushing, NY

Pros

Good benefits if you stay long term, PTO is better than the national average. Good place to use as a training camp before moving onto somewhere better.

Cons

Promotions and raises are given to friends, relatives, and favorites, not based on who is actually qualified and deserving of them (for Flushing site). This leads to poor management and leadership, which then leads to high turnover rate. The place is chronically understaffed because people keep leaving and current staff ends up doing two-person jobs with already embarrassingly low pay. Management can get desperate by hiring underqualified candidates and lets them go soon after because of underperformance. Of course the employees who are not friends/relatives/favorites take the fall for failures and mistakes because someone needs to be blamed.

Advice to Management

HR needs to let employees evaluate their supervisors because the one-way street of bosses reviewing their employees is corrupt.
    Appreciate hard-working staff. If you can't compensate their hard work with pay, then at least show gratitude.

"Profits oriented at a Community Health Center"

Former Employee - Physician in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Physician in New York, NY

I worked at Charles B. Wang Community Health Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1. Lay back environment for some. "Work less, but make a decent living" - was a new strategy introduced per lower management.
    2. Reasonable benefits.
    3. For those who are friends and / or relatives and / or the favorites of the management / administrators - great places to work.

Cons

1. The hard working person will continue to work harder for the survivals.
    2. High turn over rate means a lot to some people.
    3. Voices may not be heard by the senior management as the lower manageement does the filtering, so all departments look great with superb perfomance.

"Just stay away"

I worked at Charles B. Wang Community Health Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Heart of Chinatown, great places to eat for lunch

Cons

Very top heavy where employees must please upper-level staff. Turnover is high since the pay is extremely low where employees are paid pennies and senior management staff reward themselves. Not much growth even if you work with this company for years. Only way to grow is to kiss up. Incentives for physicians are pretty good and offer tuition reimbursements to physicians only. Most employees do their work at its minimum, most especially, the laziest employee is tan & skinny who sits on the sixth floor and hides in the corner. Managers and supervisors push good workers to do the job because it is easier for them to ask good workers than to get bad workers to do their job. And, you know what? That makes the managers and supervisors the bad workers then! Or perhaps they’re just lazy! There’s not much room for creative thinking to be shared with senior management because these ideas will be shut down by them. Some managers are great to work with, but middle supervisors will just let assisting staff do the work and then take credit for it. It’s definitely a place where there is job stability, but if you’re looking for meaningful work, go elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Communication from the top needs to be sent downwards! Which is why most employees do not trust their managers. Share information with staff instead of having them beg you for info!

8. "Great benefits, low pay"

Pros

Great benefits, laid back work environment.

Cons

Low salary, lots of behind the scenes politics, not an easy organization to grow within.

Advice to Management

Value employees more by offering opportunities to grow and increase salary.

"Fast paced environment"

Pros

Friendly environment but there is basically no way to improve your position there.

Cons

Low in hours, hard to get raise, busy, low pay.

"Low pay and no opportunity to grow"

I worked at Charles B. Wang Community Health Center full-time

Pros

MIssion-driven organization that really cares about providing high quality services to Asian Americans. Majority of staff members are smart and motivated. Benefits are good, but only if you stay long-term (ie. fully vested 403b match after 6 years, increase in vacation/sick day accrual each year of service). Many positions are 9-5 (35 hours workweek). Good place to learn basics of health care center/non profit

Cons

Starting salary is embarrassingly low (even for a non profit in NYC!) and they will not negotiate. Raises are basically nonexistent. No clear path for growth/advancement. Managers are hit or miss - some should not supervise anyone and have zero communication and managerial skills. Processes for getting things done are unclear and confusing.

Advice to Management

If you want to attract and keep talented and motivated staff you need to pay them better and provide opportunity for growth. Pay attention to who you hire/promote as managers