Charles Pankow Builders Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 9, 2017

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rik Kunnath

1. "Wonderful Culture and Work Environment"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Charles Pankow Builders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

7+ Years in Construction Industry, just started with this company a few months ago... Extremely pleased by the culture, upper management, and the strive towards innovation and excellence. Good compensation and benefits, and uniquely refreshing upper management perspective on employee satisfaction and work life harmony.

Cons

No cons during my limited time so far.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

2. "Intern Engineer"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Charles Pankow Builders as an intern

Pros

Really interested in developing you and keeping you for full time employment

Cons

Sometimes really long work hours

3. "Field Project Coordinator"

Former Contractor - Field Project Coordinator in Cerritos, CA
    Former Contractor - Field Project Coordinator in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Charles Pankow Builders as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. They know their job and do it extremely well. Company is very fair and generous to those who comply with company standards and objectives. Would highly recommend anyone interested in working for this company.

Cons

I worked out in the field and there were absolutely no cons.

5. "Work/Life Balance Improvements"

Current Employee - Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at Charles Pankow Builders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company has been committed in the last two years to improve in their work habits. Company has allowed employees to spend more time with their families and manage their time more wisely at work.

Cons

Company is still managed and decision made by the top executives and hardly ask for opinions or considers other employees other than senior management.

Advice to Management

Listen more to your employees

6. "Accounting Intern"

Former Intern - Accounting Intern in Pasadena, CA
    Former Intern - Accounting Intern in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Charles Pankow Builders as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

All the staff is friendly and approachable. I worked closely with the Sr. Accountant, assistant controller, and staff accountant. They were very friendly and if I had any questions, I could ask them as many questions without feeling like I bothered them.
    If you're a student in the accounting field and would like to have a great experience and exposure to the accounting world. Give a good consideration to this company, as the hands on experience will benefit you a lot.
    Like I said, everyone is very approachable, understanding, and the controller and mangers have a great open door policy. Also they will work with your school schedule.

Cons

No cons in my part. The experience I got out of this company was amazing.

Advice to Management

Keep the internship program as long as you can, it helped me a lot as an accounting student, and I know it will help many more.

7. "Company with Good intentions"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Charles Pankow Builders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Give you room to grow if you are actively seeking it. Good culture with the people that you work with. Good opportunity to learn.

Cons

Disconnect between the millennials and previous generations. Hard to accept change and keep up with technology. Poor decisions at the higher levels find them taking on projects that no one else wants or willing to do for the same fee. This sets up the entry level and 3-5 year employees with limited resources for success.

Advice to Management

Reconsider staffing matrices while deciding project teams. Make sure you are supporting those teams doing the direct work.

8. "Project Engineer"

I worked at Charles Pankow Builders full-time

Pros

Allowed me to learn under different circumstances.

Cons

Not enough projects to work on.

Advice to Management

Take the time to understand and appreciate employees at all levels.

9. "Lots to do at Pankow"

Current Employee - Engineer in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Charles Pankow Builders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company culture with people who spend time working out solutions together.
    Very approachable management.
    Flex time for salaried employees makes it easier to deal with day to day work.
    Reasonably good benefits and time off.
    Plenty of opportunities here especially if you want to contribute to the development of company practices and culture.

Cons

Job site and Office is very different so if you're shuffling between the two you may have to adjust your schedule constantly.
    Company practices aren't in sync between young and old generations so a rapport has to be built between people before suggesting changes.
    No PTO just Vacation and Sick time which is split 10/8 days.

Advice to Management

You guys listen and usually let engaged employees try out their ideas. Those are good things do more of that.
    Make room for new technology in your budget. It helps get work done faster and gives us a competitive edge.

10. "Great people - Hard to leave"

Former Employee - Intern Field Engineer in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Intern Field Engineer in Pasadena, CA

Pros

I was an intern engineer for 3 years through college. The people I worked with were outstanding - it was a great team environment and I felt everyone really wanted to help me learn and succeed. We had fun, but of course worked hard and had long hours - same as any general contractor.

Also, the company really knows concrete and executes a concrete frame better than any other general contractor I have been around. I feel this is mostly due to an outstanding field crew who does a great job of teaching young engineers the means and methods.

Cons

I felt the company was behind the times in terms of technology (lack of BIM coordination, management software, tablets, phones, etc.) There seemed to be some movement towards this when I left and I hope they have taken advantage of some of the technology out there which will help them grow and move forward.

11. "Upper Management is Flawed"

Current Employee - Field Engineer II/APM II in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Field Engineer II/APM II in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Charles Pankow Builders full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great... good camaraderie among your peers. Within the last year, flextime has been adopted to set your 8hr workday (ie: 7am-4pm) doesn't really work too well for those in the field but office staff can take advantage.

Cons

hours on site can be gruesome. most lower level employees are overworked and underpaid. upper management plays favorites based off who strokes their egos more and not based off performance. promotions are difficult to come by, management doesn't know what their people do so they rely on a list of competencies in order to "check all the boxes" which doesn't always make sense due to the opportunities given to employees.

Advice to Management

all employees should have 360 reviews. middle management is killing the company. listen to what employees say in exit interviews and MAKE A CHANGE or there will continue to be high-turnover