Charles River Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Charles River Associates President Paul Maleh
Paul Maleh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "work life balance is also better than typical consulting firms" (in 27 reviews)

• "Executives in the company understand the importance of sharing their knowledge and time with our junior staff and new comers" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance can be a challenge as with most consulting jobs" (in 13 reviews)

• "The hiring model for junior staff is largely based on hiring directly out of undergrad" (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Charles River Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the pros of working at CRA include a prestigious name and an equally prestigious clientele. CRA's name is widely recognized and is an impressive resume booster. The people at CRA are incredibly smart and it's been great to work with people you can learn so much from. I enjoy the CRA culture, as I go to lunch and happy hours with colleagues, getting to know the people I work with.

Cons

One con of working at CRA is because it is a consulting firm and CRA has many clients and projects, hours working can be longer than expected. However, this is necessary for any consulting firm. During the interview process, CRA made this clear. However, CRA does value the commitment and offers competitive compensation packages.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant

I have been working at Charles River Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people! 99% of the personnel that I've had the opportunity to work with have been knowledgeable, informative, helpful and Nice!

Cons

I can honestly say that I do not have any Cons for this company.

3. "Good breadth of experience, but no upward mobility"

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at Charles River Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great and the types of projects are wide and varied

Cons

Work life balance is awful, career development is a joke

4. "Analyst"

I have been working at Charles River Associates full-time

Pros

1. In general it is pleasant to work at CRA. Senior people are very supportive.
    2. Project work is interesting.

Cons

Hours could be bad occasionally (80 hrs +), but on average I work 50-55 hours per week.

5. "Marakon Practice"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Charles River Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Analytically-orientated firm with wide array of expertise

Great business school placement (M7 is the norm)

Amazing place to learn a lot, grow your network, and start your career out of undergraduate

Benefits are unparalleled and all-in compensation is aligned with other top firms

Cons

Each practice operates as a separate firm basically with their own P&L, cross-practice social events/work largely depends on office

Not exactly the place where many people (or anyone) are on a partner track out of UG, but it is consulting

6. "A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Associate Principal
    Current Employee - Associate Principal

I have been working at Charles River Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people I work with are smart, collegial, and fun to be around. The benefits and pay are great. CRA is a flexible employer, which makes it easy to parent and work full time.

Cons

The hours can be long, and the amount of work fluctuates week-to-week (and even day-to-day).

7. "Supportive, Collegiate, intelligent community"

Current Employee - N/A in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - N/A in Boston, MA

I have been working at Charles River Associates (More than a year)

Pros

-Work along side bright, friendly and hardworking co-workers
    -Great benefits/supportive HR
    -Many ways to get involved
    -A place to grow your career
    -Beautiful office

Cons

-None that I am aware of

8. "Associate"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Charles River Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CRA is a good place to start a career out of undergrad. You are given lots of learning opportunities and autonomy, exposed to really smart people, and develop solid analytical methods. Compared to other economic consulting firms, work-life balance is generally good - though some cases can be unpredictable. In general, junior staff make friends with each other and senior staff are very knowledgeable and friendly resources.

Cons

As a new analyst, you are thrown in with very little training, which is stressful. The learning curve is steep in the first few months.

Advice to Management

Management styles can be inconsistent between project managers. I think it would be helpful to have more cohesion across managers around the expectations of junior staff.

9. "A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Principal in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Principal in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Charles River Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Supportive, collaborative, opportunity, challenge, interesting work, benefits, compensation, corporate culture, performance feedback

Cons

Work-life balance can be a challenge as with most consulting jobs

10. "Great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Charles River Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are just the best! The work is very interesting and even as junior staff you're given responsibility and your input is highly valued. Senior staff are always willing to answer your questions. Great environment/culture, with lots of attention given to employees, lots of social opportunities to connect outside the office, lots of support for next steps in your career. Flexible work-life balance, so long as you get your work done. Very supportive and nourishing environment.

Cons

The consulting life is a roller-coaster: there are times when you're swamped with work, and times where you have hardly anything to do (though not very often). Could definitely improve raises/bonuses for junior staff.

Advice to Management

Take stronger action with people who do not perform and are a liability to the rest of the team. Improve raises for juniors.