Charles River Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Charles River Associates President Paul Maleh
Paul Maleh

Pros
  • Work/life balance is as good as it can be for consulting (in 12 reviews)

• steep learning curve, plenty of opportunities for client interactions (even as a junior associate), working with very smart people (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of the senior level staff are not interested in the personal growth of the junior staff and only focus on the present work they need to get done (in 16 reviews)

• Work/life balance can be better but it's not over the top (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Good work environment"

I have been working at Charles River Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart colleagues and emphasis on bringing in talented staff. Company also offers training courses to provide professional development. Opportunity to take on significant responsibility and have ownership of work.

Cons

Different practices can be a little siloed with limited interaction across groups. Work schedules also can also be a little unpredictable.

"Great company"

Former Employee - Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Charles River Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, nice people. Challenging and interesting work. Great benefits. Lots of training opportunities.

Cons

My practice had great hours but some of the other practices have a very heavy workload. Also, they could take steps to have a more diverse office. Not a lot of mid-level opportunities to advance. A lot of younger employees leave after a few years to go to school or take on other opportunities.

Advice to Management

Create more mid-level opportunities for people to stay long term out of school.

3. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Charles River Associates (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits package is great, solid salary.

Cons

Cons were personal to me because I wasn't as interested in working for a corporation long term.

5. "Associate"

Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Charles River Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professional expectations, high analytical development, keep career outlook

Cons

Hours can be difficult, pressure to deliver can be intense

6. "Experience as a Consulting Associate"

Former Employee - Consulting Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Consulting Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Charles River Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed the interesting work and the level of confidence that project managers had in the work of junior staff. My work was challenging and engaging, and it provided wonderful experience for my transition to graduate school studying policy.

Cons

It can be hard to juggle a work-life balance, but compared to many other consulting firms in the area, I think CRA does the best job of making sure that employees are satisfied in that area.

7. "Well Run, En Route to a Dynamic Culture, Invests in Development of Employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Charles River Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn and grow.
    Office space is breathtaking and a great environment to work in.
    The people- the hires here are dynamic and engaging and nice and genuine.
    Culture offers many things such as a volunteer and social committees that promote workplace interaction and serving the communities.

Cons

Work/life balance can be better but it's not over the top. There needs to be communication by the higher ups and transparency to fully cooperate in order to divide up workloads.

Advice to Management

Keep investing and developing your employees- showcase different practices and departments at meetings.

8. "Love working here"

Current Employee - Consulting Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consulting Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Charles River Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

CRA has a wonderful, friendly culture. Intellectual, down-to-earth and helpful on projects. We have a great atmosphere and career opportunities galore.

Cons

One of the downsides of project-based, deadline oriented work is that sometimes you lose a weekend or evening to the job. But this is not unreasonable, and common in the industry, from what I've heard. I will say that CRA doesn't regularly require late nights and weekend work.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job with the transparency, but I have to wonder: if CRA's financial performance is so outstanding, quarter after quarter, when will it trickle down? I remember when we decided as a company to forego bonuses for a couple years during the downturn. Now that things are booming, I'm really hoping this year to see some financial reward sharing.

9. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Consulting Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Consulting Associate in Boston, MA

Pros

good, flat culture. Senior staff are generally accessible. Junior staff collaborate and help each other out

Cons

no clear career path. Promotions are sometimes up to the whims of 1-2 top managers, and not necessarily tied to performance

Advice to Management

aim for more transparency, and reward hard-working employees

"Good place to start a career, get out quick"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Charles River Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a very vibrant community of junior staffers who are a joy to work with. Most of the senior people are brilliant and great to work with as well. Great platform to get solid training in data analysis, statistics, and client-service business. Great if you want to go into law.

Cons

Some managers can be micro-managers. There is not much room for advancement once you climb the learning curve in some practices, since advancement requires a Ph D in most cases.

11. "Great job for analytical graduates looking to gain valuable experience or start a career path in consulting"

Current Employee - Analyst in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Charles River Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with bright people on challenging problems.
    Getting to work with complex data and growing as a programmer.
    Collegial work environment.

Cons

Hours are irregular.
    Quality of experience working on a case can be largely influenced by quality of the project manager for that particular case.

Advice to Management

It would be useful to have a system in place for reviewing project managers, such that these reviews are discussed with their managers.