Charles River Laboratories Reviews | Glassdoor

Charles River Laboratories Reviews

Updated August 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Charles River Laboratories Chairman, President, Director and CEO James C. Foster
James C. Foster

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No work/life balance, Work fluctuates drastically (in 11 reviews)

• A few nay sayers some upper management is political if ur not "in" ur "out" if u catch my drift can be unfair to some (in 14 reviews)

1. "Charles River: A fulfilling place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Charles River Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Charles River is a great company and employer. The management team has created a good foundation for positive results in our field and in the community. The amount of mentoring and guidance I have received allows me to excel in my personal and professional life. There is so much room for advancement. Charles River employees are provided with a healthy and encouraging work environment that I had not experienced until I started working here.

Charles River also provides a valuable service to the community through our research and development. By working for Charles River you feel like you are contributing towards a greater goal of helping people through curing diseases, even if you are not a scientist in one of our many labs around the world.

I feel that Charles River is a rewarding place to work and would highly recommend employment at Charles River to friends, relatives and colleagues.

Cons

I do not feel that there are cons to working at Charles River. As responsible employees we are encouraged to pave a path towards personal and professional growth.

Advice to Management

My advice to the management team would be to continue to help employees strive to be their best. By all of us working towards common goals and objectives we can exceed expectations. I see a bright future for Charles River and appreciate having the chance to contribute towards such a dynamic organization.

"Charles River promotes a work-life balance"

Current Employee - Director in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Charles River Laboratories full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Charles River is a large company with a smaller, family-oriented feel. Employees are challenged to do their jobs well and achieve goals - both related to their own personal development and company objectives. We are also given the flexibility and autonomy to manage our own responsbilities and schedules. This helps promote a positive work-life balance, as does one of the company's great benefits - "summer breeze" (half-day Fridays in the summer).

Cons

I suggest bringing your own lunch. There are not many places to eat within a 5-10 minute drive, and the cafeteria could be better.

"Focused Professional Life Science Company"

Pros

Fully supported staff with space, administrative supplies, made expectations clear, high salary, extras such as coffee and breakfast/ family events. Secure work place. Really good benefits- medical/dental, 401k.

Cons

Rapid growth and then layoff for some, not family flexible, parking lots issue. Cafeteria food cost too much, and difficult to go off site due to security.Too much overtime. Too many people getting hurt at work.

Advice to Management

Stay the best at what you are good at. Do not become Bausch and Lomb.

4. "Good company with good people working there!"

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time

Pros

Great work/life experience with people who value their work at the company. Great to be with groups who have been at the company for many years.

Cons

Can be a little slow in growth but if you're willing to take the initiative, the company will definitely help put you on the right path.

"Great People in the Corporate Office"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Charles River Laboratories full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The health coverage plans at Charles River are well ahead of other companies. Excellent BC/BS of Mass options, good dental, vision and lots of other options. Flexible hours (ad hoc) are a nice perq for those who have to juggle family responsibilities and/or a long commute. Nice corporate campus with on-site cafeteria. Really nice people. No bullies in the bunch.

Cons

Could use some more training/development classes and opportunities, especially for new managers. IT help is sorely in need of an upgrade -- they are not very responsive and often ineffective at helping.

Advice to Management

Let those on your management teams shoulder more of the load. You don't need to do everything yourself!

6. "A great work experience"

I have been working at Charles River Laboratories full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were very many pro's, nice facilities, etc

Cons

Long and early hours, and so on

"Love everything about Charles River"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

Pros

Great management team, great training, very long term employees, everyone is willing to help no matter what their job & business group

Cons

The company continues to grow, so it is hard to know all of the companies capabilities. I don't think this is a "con" though, just something that requires me to stay on my toes!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Great Company"

Pros

Very good company to work

Cons

No cons at this time

"CRL"

I have been working at Charles River Laboratories full-time

Pros

CRL is a great place to work and to learn. The company appreciates their employees and holds events for them throughout the year. The management is highly educated and are available to help whenever needed.

Cons

The culture is different depending on which department you work in. some departments are highly micro-managed and others allow for more flexibility. If you don't choose the right department you might not like it, but there is always the option to transfer.

Advice to Management

Sometimes scientists do not always make the best managers. The scientists that are acting managers, or moved into management positions would benefit from management training and human relations.

"Sr. Director of IT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington Junction, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington Junction, MA

Pros

Company with great vision. The executive team isn't afraid to make changes to adapt to market needs. Plenty of opportunities for employees to grow and move upwards.

Cons

There needs to be a more team mentality within the organizations.