Charles River Laboratories Reviews | Glassdoor

Charles River Laboratories Reviews

Updated June 17, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • No work/life balance, Work fluctuates drastically (in 10 reviews)

• upper management is awful, lots of work to do which overwhelms people easily (in 14 reviews)

"A Great Place to Regret."

Former Employee - Animal Care Technician in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Animal Care Technician in Chicago, IL

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The hours are regular, although you will probably work weekends.
    The benefits are reasonable.
    The pay is decent. Not great, but not bad. This is why most people I knew stayed with the company.

Cons

Management is quite petty. You can be written up or fired on a whim. Over the years, I saw plenty of people quit or get fired due to this petty behavior. I frequently sat at home and cried because of the management.
    You will not get promotions unless you act as petty as the management. The hardest workers and nicest people I knew never left the bottom tier.
    Lazy people are allowed to stay lazy, which just breaks the spirit of anyone who wants to work hard. If lazy people do not complete tasks, those tasks will be piled on the hard workers.
    The work is repetitive and requires little thinking or skill. That might be fine if you are just content with a paycheck, but if you want a sense of worth or pride, you will probably want out as much as I did.

Advice to Management

I have forged great friendships with a number of my managers at other companies over the years. There is not a single manager here that performs their job satisfactorily. Each one was either petty, incompetent, lazy, or all of the above. I'm talking about both lower and upper management. I recommend the company take a long, hard look at how you train your management and teach them about employee retention.

"0 Stars"

Pros

Only adding one star because I couldn't proceed without it.

Cons

Out of touch executive team, nepotism, management team that shouldn't be in the roles they are in.

"Document Specialist I"

Former Employee - Document Control Specialist I and Archivist in Limerick, PA
    Former Employee - Document Control Specialist I and Archivist in Limerick, PA

I worked at Charles River Laboratories (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learned a lot about Laboratory procedures and the paperwork that the scientists needed.

Cons

CRL did not give the managers enough help to get the work done in a timely and accurate fashion. A lot of mistakes were found throughout the site

Advice to Management

Hire more people ad listen to the need of the employees

"Lab tech"

Current Employee - Lab Technician
    Current Employee - Lab Technician

I have been working at Charles River Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. Overtime. Lots and lots of mandatory overtime. It would be very difficult to find any words that were good about this company.

Cons

Indentured servant. Absolute worst place to work. Run fast the other way. You will make more per hour at a fast food place. Run like a sweat shop. Arrogant small minded management. Strong behind the scenes cronyism .

5. "Easily Replaced"

Former Employee - N/A in Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - N/A in Wilmington, MA

I worked at Charles River Laboratories (Less than a year)

Pros

Large company and good location.

Cons

Zero work/life balance. Under appreciated by management, high turn over and high work volume. Cafe is small and overpriced.

Advice to Management

Make employees feel more valuable

6. "Review Chicago"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA

I worked at Charles River Laboratories (More than a year)

Pros

If interested in a future career in animal science this company can develop your skills.

Cons

Schedule was not flexible and high turn around.

Advice to Management

Leadership is essential to a happy productive team including trust building.

"Tech"

Former Employee - Technologist in Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - Technologist in Wilmington, MA

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired due to the MASSIVE employee turnover rate.

Cons

Starting salary is $16 which is far below industry standard. This comes with little to no opportunity for advancement or even a small raise. Harassment among employees is rampant and managers are fully aware and do nothing about it. Managers are disconnected with what is actually going on and are hired with no experience in the field. Inappropriate and offensive behavior is common with little to no consequences. Long hours with breaks for coffee or water not being permitted while working in a lab where these things are not allowed. Non-flexible work hours, notice must be given if even slightly late or early.

Advice to Management

Serious lack of leadership or motivation to employees. Little to no incentive for hard work, caters to doing the bare minimum.

8. "Research assistant III"

Current Employee - Scientific Associate in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Scientific Associate in Reno, NV

Pros

Good pay and benefits for the area

Cons

Work life balance is horrible

Advice to Management

Hire the correct amount of staff

"Deceiving Place of Work"

Current Employee - Animal Care Technician I in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Animal Care Technician I in Chicago, IL

Pros

decent benefits, job is not too far to get to, hours beat most of traffic

Cons

under paid for amount of work, no respect, treated as replaceable, no cohesion with upper management, constantly looking for reasons to fire people, minimal opportunity for career growth. HR is not on your side and protects upper management. Complaints against anyone that is a position above an ACT go unnoticed or disregarded.

Advice to Management

This is a horrible place to work. When you have your interview they lie on how much opportunity there is for growth. They don't even cross train you. Wherever you are placed, you can believe that's all you're doing. You learn nothing, gain nothing. Unless this is your first job. Anyone with experience will be miserable. You have to interview to be promoted to an ACT II. Even if you have the qualifications and experience you have to fight for the promotion against co workers. They do not just promote people. AND with the promotion you get a minimal raise, not even a dollar, and no new skills to learn.

10. "Rampant nepotism"

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Reno, NV

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great starting benefits, some very friendly people

Cons

under paid for the pressures of the job and requirements placed upon you. hard to advance without first being friends or family with someone farther up the food chain.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth