Charles River Laboratories Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No work/life balance, Work fluctuates drastically (in 12 reviews)

• upper management is awful, lots of work to do which overwhelms people easily (in 14 reviews)

"Avoid This Company At All Costs"

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time

Pros

The only thing I liked were my coworkers

Cons

Where do I even begin? Horrible work environment, micromanagement to the point of harassment, verbal and emotional abuse was constant, we were not allowed to help one another and were told that if an employee was going too slow to yell at them to "kick their rear in gear", were expected to feed animals at a minimum of 60 tanks a minute and times were constantly being monitored and measured, everyone I know who still works there is trying to get out, and I know someone who worked for them at a different location that literally had the exact same experience. The entire corporation is run like a sweatshop.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people, not like numbers. The conditions of this place are like a sweatshop and are illegal

2. "ok"

Pros

beni. are ok could do better

Cons

pay is still below the field pay ....they can do a lot better

"Charles River: "Where human imagination goes to die""

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time

Pros

Working at Charles River provides a terrific learning opportunity. In that, "Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise."

Cons

The word "Machiavellian" best captures it: "Cunning, scheming, and unscrupulous, especially in politics or in advancing one's career."

Advice to Management

Evolve.

"Under Paid, Overworked, Under Appreciated"

Former Employee - Formulation Chemist in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Formulation Chemist in Reno, NV

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

3 weeks vacation with 1 week sick time. If you didn't get sick, you had 4 weeks vacation and that is pretty good for the US.

Cons

You are severely overworked and there is always a shortage of employees. In the 4 years I worked at CRL, Reno, it progressively got worse and worse. Management did nothing, HR did nothing. I assumed they were trying to cut the bottom line in order to satisfy share holders. In the end, employees suffered and I witnessed a mass exodus of employees as a result.

I tried to stay positive, cross train in departments that needed the support and the only thing I received was criticism. It was very unhealthy to my work life and family life.

Advice to Management

Stay away from fear management and focus on your employees as people and not numbers.

5. "House manager"

Pros

Benefits pay able to work alone

Cons

To much drug use bosses come to work drunk

Advice to Management

Need to get your act together

6. "Cliques just like high school."

Former Employee - Animal Care Technician I in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Animal Care Technician I in Reno, NV

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay for the animal care department and benefits. Central location with security at the entrances. Received an hour for lunch which is helpful because it's a very physical job.

Cons

Management has their favs and the others just have to pick up the slack and don't receive any recognition for going over and beyond.

"Charles River Laboratories, Inc. is a Federal government contract employer"

Former Employee - Administrative Support Specialist in Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
    Former Employee - Administrative Support Specialist in Grosse Pointe Farms, MI

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When reporting discrimination to human resources as directed in the handbook, CRL simply circled the wagons because it's HR department is setup to indemnify the company against lawsuits and not in the service of employees as represented. CRL retaliated for reporting discrimination. But they were nice about it. They paid well and provided good benefits. It's a great company if you don't have an abusive supervisor.

Cons

They are extremely dishonest in their dealings with employees when reporting EEOC discrimination and retaliate for engaging in protected activities, even though CRL is a Federal government contract employer. CRL has a track record of problems complying with Federal government contractual obligations.

Advice to Management

False claims to the Federal government are a problem. Punishing employees for reporting the misuse of taxpayer money should cease. The corporate policies defined in company policies and procedures need to be more than lip-service. They need to be followed in practice.

8. "Need I say more!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros

The learning experience in invaluable

Cons

Very poisonous work environment. The management style utilized across the board is personal and highly based on favouritism. This is highly expected though when you place people with no manegerial skills in the wrong place. So, bottom line if you want to get up the lader, you need to polish your brown-nosing skills.

Advice to Management

- Listen to what your employees are saying without holding a grudge
    - Take management courses
    - Simply be faire

9. "Disappointing"

Pros

Experience. Will hire out of college. Immediate supervisors are excellent.

Cons

Management has no respect for employees. View us as disposable and make sure we know it. Work gets in the way of personal life often. Rampant favoritism and most peoplearent comfortable taking concerns to hr on site. Often times nothing happens even if it's a repeated complaint by multiple people..

Advice to Management

Leave and let someone better suited take over.

10. "Analyst Immunochemistry"

Former Employee - Analyst- Immunochemistry in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Analyst- Immunochemistry in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to get experience if you are fresh out of school (the McDonald's of the research companies)

Cons

A fair number of Scientists without a science degree

Advice to Management

Profits and efficiencies could be increased if R&D, validations and sample analysis projects were managed by people with a science degree.