Charles Schwab Reviews in Arizona | Glassdoor

Charles Schwab President and Chief Executive Officer Walt Bettinger II
Walt Bettinger II

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • very little flexibility with scheduling due to call center requirements (in 86 reviews)

• The work life balance that is advertised is inaccurate (in 30 reviews)

"Horrible experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Charles Schwab (More than a year)

Pros

Had zero positive experiences here; very unhappy and stressful place to work.

Cons

The worst 6 months of my life. Almost daily team meetings where there is little valuable information shared, just a chance for managers and supervisors to remind team members that they are managers and supervisors. Supervisors, Managers and VPs heavily involved in office politics. There is no privacy, cubicles are constructed so you are either facing someone directly all day or several people are in your peripheral vision. Complained about sexual harassment and management (including VP) swept under rug until finally had to notify HR directly. Poisonous atmosphere; avoid at all costs there are more ethical companies to get your licenses at. I have subsequently worked with former Schwab employees who also literally said they hated their time at Schwab (in Phoenix anyway).

Advice to Management

Complete top to bottom overhaul of company culture, which would include getting rid of most of your current lower middle and upper level management. Take sexual harassment claims seriously; you deserved and still deserve a public lawsuit over what happened.

"Worst management"

Former Employee - Move Money in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Move Money in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Monday through Friday - received a pay check

Cons

I was there 2 years and had 5 managers.
    Training was horrible. This was the job where I have felt the least important- answer the calls - nothing was ever good enough. There are were no written policies in this department.
    Management clocks in and out. There is no care for people, you are a number just like their customers.
     Employees speak to each other with the utmost disrespect.
    Reporting issues caused retaliation.

Advice to Management

The best managers are not the ones who perform the best. Managers are leaders, motivators.

"Software Engineer, Lies, managers don't even know what the job description means."

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Chandler, AZ
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Charles Schwab as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good. They might sponsor a CISSP certification if you get hired full time.

Cons

Prepare for an exercise of futility and the mundane! Power plays, information silos, selfishness are already described by the other reviews for this company. Good luck getting hired full time. Managers are only interested in making themselves appear good. To the extent at which they can't even hold an honest conversation with you. I feel sorry for anyone who thinks this environment is normal. This company is so far behind...

Advice to Management

Admit that you are ignorant and stop being so selfish with your own career.

"Horrible managers"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great products with the investor in mind at all levels.

Cons

The worst managers I have ever experienced in my career. Our department had a 30% turnover rate over 2 years and when HR did exit interviews they would ask ... What are you going to tell me that I have not already heard?

Advice to Management

Stop hiring VP and MD level managers from outside the company. You are losing the culture that got you to where you are today.

"Insurance"

Former Employee - Annuity Wholesaler in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Annuity Wholesaler in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Charles Schwab (More than 10 years)

Pros

Poor management at best. Way to much collusion between senior management and client best interests.

Cons

The department was run by a former Director who was solely self absorbed on himself. He had his best friends in the department that he would go on vacation with outside of work. Then give them gray reviews in the process. No way to apply out to seek better opportunties for yourself do to lack of support for the Director or V.P. They where only interested in keeping there status elevated

Advice to Management

Get old Schwab guard. Bring in New talent at the highest levels.

"Company decided to eliminate departments moving the job functions to another state with cheaper labor."

Former Employee - Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay was good and time off as well. Good people doing the best they can. Some managers are good, if you're lucky.

Cons

Too many lay offs, company seems to use lay offs as a way to manage costs. The departments that are being let go and moved to another state, had nothing wrong with them. Just another example of a big business letting people go for no good reason and hurting families in the process.

Advice to Management

Stop running your business by hurting your dedicated employees.

"Never get fulltime"

Former Contractor - Technical Support in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Contractor - Technical Support in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Charles Schwab as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are fun, fulltime employees get great benefits

Cons

Most contract employees never make it to fulltime so they don't get benefits or room for advancement, interviews for fulltime include people from outside who have gotten the jobs, can be contract for years, timed calls and micromanaged

"Profits Before People"

Former Employee - FTE in South Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - FTE in South Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Has one of the best infrastructures in the business. The primary focus is on Security and the customer. Individual staff members are outstanding and very talented.

Cons

One of the most uncomfortably restrictive environments that I have worked in. HR does not support staff, only management. Pay is low, benefits are mediocre at best. Reorganizations run rampant and are very disruptive. Too many contract and off-shore positions mean valuable and talented employees are overlooked and often have to leave in the middle of projects. Too many rules, regulations and policies in regards to staff are restrictive and devalue talented employees. People do not matter to this organization on any level.

Advice to Management

People matter

"Retirement Plan Specialist"

Former Employee - Retirement Plan Services Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Retirement Plan Services Representative in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

The majority of Schwab Employees go above and beyond to create an exceptional client experience. I always could count on my coworkers to assist me when I was in need of assistance. We were like a family.

Cons

My manager was not able to assist me with specific client accounts or how to navigate the system. I would reach out for a Senior Represenative since they had more knowledge than management. Trainings constantly got canceled due to not enough coverage to handle calls. Mandatory over time, with commonly same day notice.

Advice to Management

My manager was not able to assist me with specific client accounts or how to navigate the system. I would reach out for a Senior Representative since they had more knowledge than management.

"Screw your employees out of bonuses and raises while the Top 5 bathe in stock options, bonuses, raises and sick wealth."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Going to be hard to find 20 words but the only pro I can think of is the day one leaves.

Cons

Micromanagement, promises of bonuses that never arrive, meager cheapy the cheapskate raises (if any), drab sad employees who look suicidal. One big sweatshop. Every thing is measured, your breathing, your time on a call, your time off a call, your time taking a crap. Everything wrong with America right now exists here...greed at the top while the others starve.

Advice to Management

Realize that people are human, not slaves.

Showing 25 of 1,784 reviews