Charles Schwab Reviews in Denver, CO | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Charles Schwab President and Chief Executive Officer Walt Bettinger II
Walt Bettinger II

Pros
Cons
  • call center enviroment and metrics are always being monitored (in 75 reviews)

• The seems to be a lack of a proper work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

1. "Hands down the best place to work"

Current Contractor - Human Resources Program Manager in Lone Tree, CO
    Current Contractor - Human Resources Program Manager in Lone Tree, CO

I have been working at Charles Schwab as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

The amazing people, the culture, the food, the beautiful office space, complete work life balance, and the amount of opportunity.

Cons

None so far. Only thing is there is no gym, but that isn't really a con...more of an opportunity for improvement :)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I love it here! Only advise would be to build a gym. This campus is too big not to have a gym ;-)

2. "Some areas are great, others not so much. It all depends on where in the company you work."

Current Employee - Managing Director, Third Party Risk Management in Lone Tree, CO

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get a 4 week paid sabbatical every 5 years you work. Free financial consulting for all employees. There are a ton of really great people that work here. The CEO is the real deal.

Cons

Don't work at the Bank (Charles Schwab Bank). The leadership team is driven by emotion. Systems are terribly antiquated with very little appetite to invest further. Most processes are very manual, but as the Bank continues to grow staffing for those processes doesn't keep pace leaving existing staff to pick up the slack by working longer and longer days.

"Worst company I worked for in Years"

Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Lone Tree, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Lone Tree, CO

Pros

good pay and benefits. good locality

Cons

no work life balance. worst company I worked for in years.

Advice to Management

give more work from home

5. "Great Employer"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Charles Schwab (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work environment with positive leadership and many career development opportunities.

Cons

Can be difficult to make vertical moves, but lateral moves can expand your knowledge and afford multiple upward opportunities for highly skilled individuals.

"Relationship Specialist"

Current Employee - Relationship Specialist in Lone Tree, CO
    Current Employee - Relationship Specialist in Lone Tree, CO

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great start for entry level and to get your licenses

Cons

Upper management can sometimes stifle your growth- you must know how to work in the politics to advance.

"Very political."

Current Employee - Managing Director in Lone Tree, CO
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Lone Tree, CO

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free retirement advice and trading discounts . New modern facility. If you want a safe place to park until retirement and you don't question how things are done, then this is the place for you. Typical working environment for financial service, banking or insurance.

Cons

Rated best place to work by the employees that are just waiting it out to retire. In management you are strong armed to give highest ratings on survey.

Advice to Management

Be competitive with other employers that support work life balance

"High Stress, Low Pay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The word in the office is "Schwabfare" (instead of welfare). Poor pay for the heavy responsibility you take on with every trade and every time you speak with a client. The company is making an effort to change the low pay, but for right now, I would say get your license and move on. High deductible/ mediocre health insurance. Sick time instead of PTO. Every second of your day is scheduled and tracked. Even though I'm a broker, I’m really just a customer service representative in a call center with high stress and low pay. You can move on to other positions, at higher grade levels, but they only allow a certain percentage increase in your salary which is less than the grade level you’re promoted to. I’ve been “successful” in my role, but I’m thinking I could make the same money as a receptionist with a lot less responsibility.

Cons

Some of the nicest and brightest people I have ever worked with. I have a great manager. They helped me get my licenses and trained me.

Advice to Management

Please stop being so cheap! With all the money this company makes, stop building new campuses and pay your employees.

"Revolving door policy at Charles Schwab in Denver location"

Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Denver, CO

Pros

Good company to work at your first year.

Cons

On your second year they will harass you on your performance to get you out of the door. If you want to transfer to another group you have to renegotiate your salary and your 2 year cycle begins again.

Advice to Management

Charles Schwab investment management group is a worst place to work for.

"Don't Do It"

Former Employee - Market Timing Specialist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Market Timing Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work you perform is very rewarding, it has sound and immediate impact to the company's overall objective and mission. People are friendly and willing to go out of their way to help you. Great software tools they are using for their trading. You are surrounded by people always pushing the status quo and going above of beyond, not settling for the simple answer and analyzing more than necessary.

Cons

I worked there (More than a year)
    Pros
    Cons
    Management isn't always forward thinking. Very bureaucratic. Can be extremely political, you do have to kiss butt to the right people to move up the ladder, which is extremely slow. In the headquarters, the culture and climate is good but people do act like their poop doesn't stink. This is also noticeable in the company holiday party and summer socials/ happy hours. Compensation lags a bit behind what other competitors pay for the same position in the Denver metro area.

Advice to Management

Hurry up and retire

"Database Developer"

Former Employee - Software Applications Engineer Staff in Lone Tree, CO
    Former Employee - Software Applications Engineer Staff in Lone Tree, CO

I worked at Charles Schwab (More than a year)

Pros

People are great, wide array of skillsets and personalities. For certain levels, the nonexempt status provides great work/life balance, true HSA and decent benefits.

Cons

Well known with all employees, documentation is either very outdated or simply does not exist. New location is so cramped and LOUD, it is counter productive causing many people to jump into headphones. Lots of offshoring and closed door management creates an "us vs. them" culture.

Advice to Management

Focus on employee (not contractors) development and empowerment, they are crucial to your business after losing your experienced talent.

Showing 145 of 1,633 reviews