Charles Schwab Reviews | Glassdoor

"Financial Services Professional"

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is great leadership at Schwab. They care about your career and if you want to go somewhere, they will help you get there if you put in the effort and show dedication. They are really good at hiring as there's a lot of strong talent.

Cons

Not many downsides... It's very busy on the phones. They may be understaffed. If you like competition this is the place to be. There is a lot of strong talent.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work when it comes to hiring. Continue to hire people who care. Stop hiring people fresh out of college with the motivation of money.... they will not last and some of them are even bad for the brand.

"Good company, bad HR"

Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice benefits, decent pay.

Cons

Bean counters in HR run the company. They outsourced whole departments out of state as they saw it could save money. But they ended up with much less qualified and experienced people.

Advice to Management

Treat employees as people, not numbers.

3. "Schwab is amazing!"

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, support system, positive messages from leadership, commitment to excellence and the client experience. It is exciting to be part of a company on the cutting edge of the industry that holds the industry as a whole to a higher standard of providing value and excellent service to our clients.

Schwab listens to its employees as well. Sometimes new policy/strategy implementation takes time, but I have witnessed quick turnaround on matters we've made clear are important to us, such as cost of living salary adjustments for the same role in different markets. Schwab knows that there is room for improvement and voicing concerns in a tactful way has shown to be effective. If something can't change, they always explain why. They seek constant feedback from us and certainly give it to us as well. As someone who has no problem with voicing any concerns I have, I can confidently say that I have never felt ignored or disregarded.

Schwab is generous with its employees, allowing for more than enough attempts at passing licensing exams. I've found that superiors have been willing to work with their employees on improvement opportunities—one would have to consistently flout authority and their directives in order to have corrective action taken against them.

Schwab places a strong priority in promoting from within, which further shows how they are committed to employees' ongoing personal and professional development.

Cons

Not a true con, but be aware that things are constantly changing (mostly for the better) so it behooves you to not get too settled in to a set way of doing things. If you thrive on change for the better, you will thrive here.

Before I came to the branch/when I was in a call center, it could be difficult to schedule vacation days off if too many people in the network requested off for that same day, which is something that happens often around major holidays.

Additionally, they have a policy of firing individuals who can't pass their broker exams. They have been tending toward hiring lower-quality workers via temp agencies who aren't adequately trained to represent Schwab well. People with college degrees get turned away during the hiring process, but individuals with only high school diplomas can easily enter the company on a temp-to-hire path.

Advice to Management

Revisit the call center hiring process to either more closely filter the incoming temporary hire applicants or be more open to qualified direct hire employees.

4. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time

Pros

Sabbatical is great, interesting projects. Overall a good place to work.

Cons

Some politics like any large company.

5. "Charles Schwab Corporate"

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. Everyone has been there for the minimum 10 years. The industry and company are always stable, solid team players, and most employees are friendly and helpful. The company is eager to try and stay ahead of the times which makes them more willing to try new ideas from time to time. The financial industry is very slow to change in general, so this company does a pretty good job being as opened minded as possible. Great work life balance. Most people come in around 9:30am and leave around 4:30pm.

Cons

Because everyone works there for so many years there is very little availability to get promoted. The hierarchy of level seats is also very few- most people sit as Senior Manager for many years unless a Director or VP leave the company.
    Full coverage of benefits, but with large co-pays. Slightly lower paying salaries compared to other financial industry companies.

"People Make the Place"

Former Employee - Relationship Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Relationship Specialist in Orlando, FL

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture inspires employees to be personable. The employees set the tone of your day.

Cons

Very metrics driven. If you thrive in a call center environment, then this is the place for you

Advice to Management

Remember there are people behind the numbers.

7. "ASFP"

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time

Pros

Great culture and people are wonderful

Cons

Hard to move around into different departments

Advice to Management

Create a workplace that embraces internal hiring into different departments instead of waiting 18 months

"Broker"

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good training and benefits. Lots of training

Cons

High turnover and burnout

9. "Participant services"

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time

Pros

Great place with great people and atmosphere

Cons

Difficult to get vacation approved

10. "Good company with strong culture and client focus"

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong belief in doing what is right for clients and providing exceptional service. People are friendly and easy going. Management is accessible and down to earth. Certain high growth locations like Denver and new Texas offices are seeing lots of job availability. Easy place to work with good work like balance.

Cons

Morale in SF has been low due to recent strategy to move jobs out of SF. Lost a lot of experienced and talented employees. Project funding is challenging unless strategic and high profile initiatives. Working with employees across so many geographic locations means mostly conference calls so you lose the personal in face interaction. Can be too consensus driven at times. Promotions beyond Director to VP are difficult. Not a lot of career growth.

Advice to Management

Focus on career growth and rewarding top employees with promotions and monetary rewards. Maintain culture despite being spread across so many locations.

Showing 1,726 of 1,818 reviews