Charles Schwab Reviews | Glassdoor

Charles Schwab President and Chief Executive Officer Walt Bettinger II
Walt Bettinger II

1,628 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Being a call center limits flexibility (in 81 reviews)

• The seems to be a lack of a proper work/life balance (in 28 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Financial Services Professional"

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is great leadership at Schwab. They care about your career and if you want to go somewhere, they will help you get there if you put in the effort and show dedication. They are really good at hiring as there's a lot of strong talent.

Cons

Not many downsides... It's very busy on the phones. They may be understaffed. If you like competition this is the place to be. There is a lot of strong talent.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work when it comes to hiring. Continue to hire people who care. Stop hiring people fresh out of college with the motivation of money.... they will not last and some of them are even bad for the brand.

2. "Solid company, would work for again in an instant"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Reputable company, good teamwork, close-knit teams. I was proud to say I worked for the company as it stands for integrity and quality. There were good people on the team and a strong sense of ownership.

Cons

It's kind of hard to get into senior levels from outside, people tend to stick around. Guess it's good that people stick around, but some of them shouldn't be there.

Advice to Management

Try a little harder to keep the people who are valuable, let go of the people who aren't. Especially in senior positions. Be careful how much of the technology you give to the India workforce...we had a lot of issues with managers who were incredible developers but didn't know a thing about management. They should have stuck with development.

3. "A great place to work with only a few exceptions"

Current Employee - Senior Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The Peolple! The Leadership and the companies direction. I am very happy that our founder is acively involved in the direction and leadership of this storied company.

Cons

Our continued cost cutting measures which have a negative effect, we should focus on cost-cutting measures that reduce our overall budget and that increase our efficiency, not by cutting people and services.

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job, keep up the good work. Try to keep teams together as much as possible and try to retain the top and experienced talent, as well as bringing on fresh minds and thinking.

"Committed Schwabbie"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

This is one focused company that, after learning the hard way a few years ago, is fully committed to their clients and their employees. This is a company with a purpose. There are lots of opportunities for advancement for the right person (ie: for someone motivated, smart). Benefits are in-line for the market (financial services in SF). Relatively flat org structure.

Cons

This company runs relatively lean adding to the already long hours (for those that want to get ahead). Some groups are being relocated, affecting morale even for those not directly impacted. Unknown future post-Chuck. Signs of getting more bureaucratic internally.

Advice to Management

In down times (such as current economic environment) don't lose sight of your purpose.

6. "Schwab is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Schwab is a corporation with a "heart" and it's focused on doing what's best for our clients. I work with great people who know what they're doing, care about each other and treat each other with respect. I feel that the work I do is important and valued. The company wants and listens to feedback from its employees and makes changes based on what employees have to say. We know that if we keep our clients' needs first and foremost, everything will take care of itself. We have shown that we can adapt to a changing business environment and still live out our values.

Cons

Expectations are very high, and the work load can be crushing at times. We're working hard to overcome working in "silos" where people focus on their own world or business unit and don't think about of what they're doing on the impact on the firm as a whole. That can be hard for people or work groups who are used to getting whatever they want.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the feedback you get from employees, especially in the employee survey.

7. "Great company to work for; too bad they will be outsourcing jobs"

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Career development, flexibility, location, compensation, benefits

Cons

Rumors of outsourcing jobs outside bay area - potential instability.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open about future plans for the workforce

8. "Chuck Schwab gives opportunity and a chance to have a stable and comfortable life for your family."

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

Pros

Opportunity to cross train, excel in existing field, and overall become the best that one can be. I started as a contractor and have grown into management in a decade and a half. Measure that growth vs any other job out there and I am sure there is none that can compare. I was given chances to succeed and given the trust to prove myself.

Cons

None. Really, I have had nothing but chances to excel and I have always been rewarded for my work. Always given the respect and chance to show what I have to offer.

Advice to Management

Please look into the salary guidelines for High Labor vs Phoenix.

9. "Great place to work for the older crowd"

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

Pros

THe people there are very helpful. They are always willing and make time to help you with a question or problem, be it related to work or not. The office is in a good location in san francisco. parking is not difficult. Projects can be long and ongoing but managers are supportive of individual initiatives. It's a you get what you put into it culture.

Cons

Schwab is still in the process of restructuring and there is a lot of movement. There is still a lot of burecracy since it is a SEC governed company. Many people are not workaholics--there is a great work life balance but on the downside it takes longer to get things done sometimes.

Advice to Management

Be more open to employee suggestions.

10. "An ethical company with a strong mission"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Schwab is an ethical company with a mission one can believe in: helping everyone become financially fit. I work closely with senior management and they truly try to put clients first and work to do the right thing for clients and employees. The strong employee communications approach is an example of this commitment. Senior executives are open and honest in their communications and they communicate frequently. Additionally, this is a special place because of the people at all levels of the company. They are good people - nice, fun, hard working, smart.

Cons

Like many companies, your experience will depend on your individual manager. Many managers are not focused on the people aspect of their job. Schwab could provide better coaching, more feedback from direct reports and hold managers more accountable in this area. Also, while the culture is great and benefits are good at the company, salaries are not as competitive as they could be.

Advice to Management

Keep emphasizing open, honest communications with employees. Try harder to retain your top talent at the senior manager/director level.

"Schwab is the best company I have ever worked for and I recommend them to everyone."

Current Employee - Risk Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Risk Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

They are very flexible with your schedule & time off. They have a great bonus program and great benefits package. There is always quick communication between senior management & employees. The opportunity for growth is sky high. It just depends on the employee. Schwab provides all the necessary training for free, so there is no excuse to be left behind.

Cons

There are only two locations in Phoenix, and they are right by each other so if you live in another city, its quite a commute.

Advice to Management

None. They are doing a great job so far.

Showing 1,628 of 1,709 reviews