Cover image for Charles Schwab

Financial Advisors

1y

a

Managing Principal

We are in the process of consolidating accounts for a new client and moving them over to Charles Schwab where we custody - all straight forward stuff. The client has an old 401k from a previous employer and filled out the paperwork with that 401k to roll it to Schwab. So about $470k hit her Schwab account last week. And then exactly 7 days later, another $460k hits again. Both from the 401k custodian. But her account was only $470k. I think they messed up royally. Now what???

10 Comments

Finance

108.8K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/finance/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Charles Schwab~144
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good benefits and a one month sabbatical on top of vacation after five years of service.(in 448 reviews)
  • "Great people and enjoyed my time even during a virtual envirnoment(in 393 reviews)
  • "Corporate culture is great because people buy in and work towards making everyone financially fit.(in 320 reviews)
  • "Good work life balance and flexibility.(in 217 reviews)
  • "Company provides great training and licensing preps.(in 89 reviews)
Cons
  • "Low pay; have be on the phones for a while before you can move into another area.(in 189 reviews)
  • "Poor management and team.(in 163 reviews)
  • "Hope to get a good manager as many are puppets and are only looking out for themselves.(in 142 reviews)
  • "Low salary by at least $10K to $15K which is pretty bad given that the annual increases are probably low with this economy.(in 89 reviews)
  • "Management became populated with 'yes' people who could quickly change loyalties to the new 'senior leadership' without any regard for self(in 61 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Charles Schwab and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Great environment

Jul 7, 2022 - Participant Services Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

So far with my work at Schwab, I’ve only encountered positive colleagues who strive to help everyone around them grow. Thorough coaching, 1:1 time, and other developmental meetings have been common and provide us with a sense of purpose and direction for our careers. This is a great entry level position for anyone wanting to get their toes wet in the world of finance, or simply advance their career at Schwab.

Cons

Some of the resources, as well as the software can be a bit confusing at times.

1 person found this review helpful

Charles Schwab Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! At Schwab, we value all employees, and we strive to provide an excellent environment to help grow successful careers. We're always looking for ways to improve, please reach out to your manager for additional training opportunities or to discuss any further concerns. Thanks again for your hard work and dedication!

2. 5.0

Great Company

Dec 5, 2022 - Financial Services Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, opportunities, and facilities.

Cons

Customer surveys are key, they need a better way of measuring quality.

3. Join the Charles Schwab team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Get Rid of the Old...

Nov 12, 2022 - Finance Specialist in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

The best thing about Schwab is the people that they hire! The culture is amazing and is reinforced by the people that they hire and promote. I wouldn't still be at Schwab if it wasn't for them, the relationships I have established and how I've been treated by them

Cons

There is a huge disconnect between Upper/Executive Leadership and what goes on day-to-day with the clients, What used to be is no more! The clients are demanding, and entitled and have no qualms about starting a conversation with name-calling and cussing. It is expected that employees take it until it becomes "extreme" and then ending a call is allowed. It can be a very hostile work environment but it has nothing to do with the internal work environment. Tenured clients expect hand-holding at every step, even going so far as calling in to get a phone number for another company! If you want to feel like you are a live version of Google or have a calling to be a receptionist, this is your job. It doesn't matter how many licenses a representative has worked hard to obtain, don't be surprised if you spend your days reading news articles to clients. It would be nice if licensed brokers/advanced brokers actually got to use those licenses, which are conditions of employment, more frequently than 25% of the day. Clients know how to manipulate the system, as well, and it's allowed,

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

OK job, ask about work environment in the interviews!!!

Dec 5, 2022 - Broker Services Representative in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good place to start out when there isn't much else because of covid. Alright pay.

Cons

They really soft-pedal the job being a call center position for most people. The first day I was the there the onboarding professional had to clarify that this was a call center job because people had showed up for their first day not knowing that. Additionally be sure to clarify when you will receive training, I was told first two months and started training for licenses beginning in month 6.

6. 5.0

Great Place to work!

Dec 5, 2022 - Client Technical Support Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

All! So many freaking pros!

Cons

None! I’ve really enjoyed my role here.

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Benefits

Dec 5, 2022 - Associate in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, pay is okay. The campus is new and has some nice restaurants and a Starbucks. Lots of opportunities for growth, but only after staying in your specific department for 18 months.

Cons

You will be micromanaged, HEAVILY. They are so nit picky that at times, you will feel like you cannot do anything right. They do not care if customers are abusive, they will almost always take the customer's side. Minimal PTO.

8. 5.0

Great Culture and Reputation, Pay Could be Better

Oct 29, 2022 - Financial Consultant Partner
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Great company Culture with Strong Values -Well recognized and respected Company Brand -Work Life Balance is Respected -Paid Training/Study Time for Industry Exams -Management empowers employees to move up within the company -Mature company with Growth oriented goals -Sabbatical granted every 5 years of service!! -Corporate bonus increases by 10-15% each year -Branch network has the small family office feel -Management encourages "challenger" mindset -No pressure/incentive to recommend one product over another -Clear path to move up within the company

Cons

-Pay is not that competitive when compared to competitors -Ability to work remote is limited -Do not receive sales pay even though it is a sales role -Promotion timeline is not definitive -Adhering to corporate metrics that seemingly have little to no impact on your compensation/growth

9. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

It all Depends on the Department and who you know

Jul 28, 2022 - Operations Associate in Orlando, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are more remote positions opening. Paid licensing, great engagement programs and charities.

Cons

They pile on your duties, you have about 10 different skill sets for one Job and are rushed to get it done in 5 mins even with system issues. Title and the pay is low. The systems are outdated and the front line reps bear the weight of all the complaints/escalations regarding it. Upper Management is out of touch and the decisions made on processes usually make the employees jobs harder. Those who are on the phones are seen as numbers, "butts in seats", you are encouraged to be robotic-like and stay logged into your phones at all times. The hiring of new positions is based on seniority or licensing, rarely skill. My manager has been with the company over 20 yrs and still doesn't know how do certain things, the manager delegates their work to others.

Continue reading
    9 people found this review helpful

Charles Schwab Response

Thank you for sharing. We value your feedback as it helps make Charles Schwab a better company for everyone. We’ll share your feedback with our team.

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Trading services specialist

Dec 7, 2022 - Trading Services Specialist in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of room for progression

Cons

You are constantly micromanaged and expected to speak robotic Progression doesn’t result in pay

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good company

Dec 1, 2022 - Risk Analyst in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is a good company to work for.

Cons

I don’t have any cons.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 4,375 Reviews
</>Embed

Charles Schwab Reviews FAQs

Charles Schwab has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 4,844 reviews left anonymously by employees. 80% of employees would recommend working at Charles Schwab to a friend and 79% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Charles Schwab employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Charles Schwab. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

80% of Charles Schwab employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Charles Schwab 4.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.2 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Charles Schwab to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, management, compensation.

Popular Careers with Charles Schwab Job Seekers