KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Charles Schwab

Engaged Employer

Charles Schwab

Add a Review

Charles Schwab Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 21, 2021

Found 303 of over 3,734 reviews

3.9
Charles Schwab President and Chief Executive Officer Walt Bettinger II
Walt Bettinger II
2,060 Ratings
Pros
  • "Provides Good Work life balance(in 250 reviews)

• "Good company good benefits good 401k(in 158 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Seems to have ceiling, some managers have poor work life balance(in 56 reviews)

• "Upper-management can be inaccessible at times(in 55 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Charles Schwab and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Place To Grow Your Career

Dec 16, 2020 - Software Developer I in Raleigh, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

*They invest in their people. In my 6 years at Charles Schwab, I have been given every opportunity that I have asked for. Even if my skillset wasn't developed, they give me the opportunity in order to develop my skillset. *Charles Scwhab focuses on the financial health of every employee. Free financial advice, employee stock purchase program, HSA contributions, and a 401k match *With all the change going on, upper management strives to be as transparent as possible *The work-life balance is very good. While this probably varies by manager, I have never had a problem getting time off when I need it. You also get 6 weeks parental leave when having a baby and a month off every 5 years for a sabbatical (if you are below officer level). *You also have access to other professional growth tools such as Udemy for Business *This is an exciting time to get involved in this sector and Schwab is a great challenger of the status quo. If you want to do exciting work in an exciting field, this is a good company to choose.

Cons

*The financial sector comes with a lot of compliance issues, and is extremely risk adverse, understandably so *Sometimes it can be harder to see your impact to the client in a larger company. This depends on the role.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

A Company with a Conscience

Nov 12, 2020 - Senior Manager Compliance in Lone Tree, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoy working at Charles Schwab because the core values are echoed throughout the firm and in presentation. Seeing the world "through clients eyes" has shaped the trajectory of the firm. I have worked for several firms where they want a client, but only Schwab advocates for the client. The firm was very responsive during Covid, and has made every effort to make continuing business during these times as productive as possible. That meant taking a 95% onsite, in office, business and turning it into a 75% work from home environment. Providing subsidies for home technology and sending work kits to ensure people can work successfully. Also during the pandemic, the firm has had one voice about self care, and work-life balance and providing additional resources related to physical and mental health. It is nice to know that a firm is concerned about its employee's well being as much as the bottom line. This has been very important during a time when so much uncertainty is surrounding us. If I were to separate from the firm, and the opportunity presented itself, I would absolutely choose to work with Schwab again.

Cons

No company is perfect. There could certainly be more diversity in management, but I see proactive efforts to change, which even if not immediate is better than no effort.

3. What people are saying about Charles Schwab

Join the conversation on
      Join the conversation on
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Balancing Good with the Bad

Nov 12, 2020 - Senior Team Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Who you work with matters, and culture is key to that, but culture is often a buzz word that most companies talk about. Schwab actually lives this in a way you can feel every day. There's a consistent focus on client experience, driving change at every turn and recruitment of decent talent to push it all forward. The day-to-day is appropriately challenging, and there's rarely pressure to work late or on weekends. It's very balanced, making Schwab particularly well-suited to working parents who don't want to compromise on professional development.

Cons

Schwab funds most of its activities on a project-by-project basis, so you not only spend significant time pitching instead of actually delivering, it also results in a lack of "big picture" thinking across the organization and spotty talent. Pick your team wisely! Compensation and benefits are nothing to write home about; pretty middle-of-the way, and sometimes not competitive, but keep in mind that it's work/life balance that's the real reward.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Schwab is a good place to work for a solid amount of time

Dec 16, 2020 - Senior Marketing Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Colleagues who are friendly, collaborative, and intelligent - Decent work-life balance keeps people at the firm for long tenures - Team engagement activities and employee groups build a sense of community - Good balance of stability and innovation as the company is an established firm that still launches new types of products/services - Sabbaticals every 5 years (unless you're a VP or higher) - Regular meetings with managers and leaders ensure objectives alignment and transparency of performance reviews

Cons

- Low number of company holidays, so you burn through more paid vacation (corporate remains open with markets and our branch offices) - Not enough remote work flexibility (changing for the better during pandemic) - Some benefits could be better (e.g. high-deductible health plan covers little until deductible is met) - Not enough advancement opportunities to retain high performing talent

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Okay but not competitive

Dec 23, 2020 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most employees are quite nice. Most roles (though not mine) have a good work/life balance. Health insurance is good. Truly do put clients first. I’m a very happy Schwab client.

Cons

While Schwab puts clients first, they put employees last. Salaries for experienced, licensed professionals are not even remotely competitive with similar roles at big banks or private wealth institutions (I know this from my own experience). 12 days accrued vacation a year plus 2 float days is sad. Schwab spends a great deal of effort telling employees and the community that Schwab is a great workplace in the hope that people who don’t know better will believe it.

4 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Proud to be a Schwabbie

Nov 20, 2020 - Senior Operations Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company values its people and the talents they bring. They really care about self development, both personally and professionally. There are many opportunities offered to employees for career and self development, which you don't see often in big corporations. The company understands the important of creating work-life balance, which the management is so supportive to their employees.

Cons

Performance review metrics could be standardized to ensure consistency and fairness across the enterprise. Often time because the nature of the job is different within each team and each department, performance can be overlooked due to the different standards held within each organization.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Digital Product Management

Nov 17, 2020 - Senior Specialist, Digital Product Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

I was able to build my personal brand and grow my career with the guidance of all my previous managers and my current manager. Schwab is 100% supportive of my personal development, my work/life balance and putting our clients first!

Cons

The hours might get long from time to time, however, NOT to an extent that is a deal breaker for me when I'm comparing companies.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee

Stability and comfort

Jan 21, 2021 - Senior Project Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Provides Good Work life balance

Cons

Difficulty in growing up the ladder

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good place to cruise into retirement

Jan 14, 2021 - Portfolio Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people who work here have a lot of camaraderie. The average employee is genuine. Most people like each other. Work-life balance is pretty good.

Cons

The company prefers people who conform. Seems like they would prefer to hire robots as soon as that technology is available. New ideas require years of pre-socialization. Mostly, lower-level employees are just supposed to follow orders from the top. The goal is to be a financial factory with assembly line workers.

11. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Charles Schwab is Phenomenal

Nov 16, 2020 - Senior Payroll Specialist in Westlake, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Charles Schwab is the best place to work because they promote a healthy work/life balance, your team feels like a family, and their benefits are amazing.

Cons

There is nothing I would change about my experience at Charles Schwab.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 303 Reviews