Charleston County School District Reviews | Glassdoor

Charleston County School District Superintendent of Schools Gerrita Postlewait
Gerrita Postlewait

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Staff not very friendly, low pay (in 7 reviews)

• I have no cons to working at Wando (in 4 reviews)

1. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Charleston County School District full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Love making a positive difference

Cons

Little to no room for advancement

Advice to Management

Listen to the teachers, stop doing whatever you want; these are tax dollars not your own

2. "Adjust Focus"

Pros

The relationships built with coworkers.

Cons

Focus is placed on data and not the student.

Advice to Management

Hire competent leaders.

3. "IT Field Tech"

I worked at Charleston County School District full-time

Pros

Hours
    People
    Co-workers are usually very friendly. CCSD regularly held events.

Cons

Nothing too big, overall a standard work environment.

4. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Charleston County School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Teachers report to work each day to support each other.

Cons

Politics are THICK! You are a mere line on the budget. The district will screw you! No appreciation. Too many good people have been forced to leave as scapegoats
     Folks in Plant Ops are not educators and do not know how to design buildings.
     How do you keep classrooms the same size, but do not prove lockers for high school students. WHERE do the bookbags go? On the floor? This is a safety and fire hazzard...... Don't even think about taking a day off. You will be disrespected! Teachers are not appreciated or respected. The new female Super is AWFUL! She does not support central office staff, plant opps, or professional educators. She is not good at her job and since she arrived she has fired almost all department heads. She is not a nice person and has a heart of ice. She has cut IMPORTANT departments, for example, she fired every member of the LITERACY team. She has no clue what it is to work in a Title 1 classroom. The pressure is enormous and most teachers leave within 3 years. At my school, 48% of the teachers left in one year. Teachers were told to NOT WRITE OFFICE REFERRALS on any child no matter the offense. There could be a knock-down bloody-fight and kids were not disciplined. When the kids are not disciplined...... they know they are in charge and behavior is unbelievable!!!!! PUSH or CURSE at a teacher....NO PROBLEM! .,, we are told to "pick and choose your battles". The workload is unbelievable ! You better have nerves of steel and write perfect lesson plans. You will not be provided normal classroom supplies. Need a pencil sharpener, you have to buy your own.... but then again kids break pencils into pieces and throw them at each other... or they stick a pen into a pencil sharpener and break it, or rip it off the wall... .... BECOME A NURSE or truck driver. Stay away from teaching, especially in Charleston, SC

Advice to Management

Management should eat beans and not be allowed to go to the classroom for 8 hours.. and you will feel like a teacher! If you leave your room, kids will fight! There should be two teachers in every Title 1 school. The super and board members have no freakin' clue what it is to be a teacher. An expert consultant came to my classroom to demonstrate a lesson, and she left the room! The kids were so rude and she could not control them! You will have to work unbelievable hours. The kids are so bad that you will never have time to sit at your desk and grade papers.

"SPED Review"

I have been working at Charleston County School District full-time

Pros

Flexible schedules with holiday time

Cons

Teacher evaluation system is not communicated or explained

"Teaching"

I have been working at Charleston County School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

School communities are great, very supportive

Cons

CCSD district is out of touch with real life in the classroom.

7. "Good website"

Current Employee - Online Marketing in Ladson, SC
    Current Employee - Online Marketing in Ladson, SC

I have been working at Charleston County School District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits work life balance
    t only takes a minute! And your anonymous review will help other job seekers.
    Please fix the following errors:
    Please enter a short title for your review.
    You must enter at least 5 words for Pros.
    You must enter at least 5 words for Cons.

Cons

A very conservative environment that has to be taken on with caution
    make sure to negotiate salary

Advice to Management

Right now, i don't have in mind

8. "Moving in the right direction"

Pros

Meaningful work with impact on children in the community

Cons

Incredible amounts of politics and pettiness

Advice to Management

Lots of "lifers" in the ranks who are just collecting a paycheck and not really putting in any effort. It's dragging some down with them.

9. "teaching assistant"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in North Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in North Charleston, SC

I worked at Charleston County School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

decent pay if you have a bachelor's degree and years of experience with children. they will refer to your job title as "senior Teaching Assistant" if you have higher education, and pay you a couple dollars more.

great schedule - never work weekends or after 430 pm - 2 weeks for christmas off, random holidays, etc

benefits are decent; can carry most over when you leave

direct deposit shows up in your bank account usually by 7 am on pay days

i met some amazing coworkers (and obviously kids)!

Cons

good luck getting in! I am over qualified to be an assistant, but I cannot be a "teacher" until I pass the praxis exam! I went on interviews for 2 years before a school actually hired me! I got laid off after a year of service, because the uneducated people on Calhoun Street DO NOT KNOW HOW TO BUDGET ! Being laid off, they should have just transferred me to another school for the following year, but no, I am going through the interview process all over again. And another school year has passed without employment. I've already been in the system, and tons of schools have expressed interest in me, however HR (whom you may never actually MEET face to face ) is the one to make final decisions. The principals have asked me if they can refer my name to human resources for hire, and then I STILL DON'T GET THE POSITION! Something is a big, fat miss here.

also, all schools do summer pay now in the USA, regardless of how you feel, so not only do you pay for taxes and benefits out of your paychecks, but summer pay is a pain. You basically work 80 hour pay-periods, and only 67 hours of that goes on your paycheck so that you get paid during the summer, and cannot collect unemployment during the summer.

Finally, getting paid twice a month: the 15th and 31st (or last day of month). It comes out to longer than every two weeks. It's annoying as hell, especially when pay day occurs on a weekend. if it was just every other friday, or whatever, it would be so much better.

Advice to Management

principals and higher ups (ahem, people who sit in an office downtown all day long) are not always intelligent. lack of respect is a big issue, when we are the ones dealing with kids all day long. STOP DOING WHATEVER PARENTS WANT YOU TO DO! No lie, one third grader, yes I said third grader, was caught smoking pot in the boys' bathroom. kid was "suspended" for like, 3 days, and THAT WAS IT! SERIOUSLY?! finally, no teacher/aid/custodian/lunch person/adult in any school in this county SHOULD EVER have to deal with violent children either! you need to remove these kids and their parents!! STOP LETTING CHILDREN AND PARENTS GET AWAY WITH THIS TYPE OF STUFF BEFORE YOU END UP WITH A LAWSUIT!!!

overall, I was happy with my employment at CCSD, and was great at my job, minus some minor problems with women coworkers that gossip and bring all their drama to work, but i met some great people as well, so it's time you hire me back !

10. ""Just do it.""

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

Pros

Nice people. Great kids.

Cons

Their motto should be just do it. They don't give you training, they don't give you materials, but they expect you to just do it. Management retaliatory and will talk bad about you behind your back to their employees, I have has this at 4 schools.
    You mean nothing. You are nothing. They let you know this daily.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees. top treating us like work horses.