Charley's Angels Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Charles Amsbary

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "It's an okay extra cash job"

I have been working at Charley's Angels full-time

Pros

Get to photograph infants
    Makes 30% commission
    Usually a relaxed hospital setting
    Hardly ever work pass 7 pm

Cons

Barely any hours
    Work holiday
    Pay is crappy commission or not

Advice to Management

Train employees with your policies and hospitals policies

2. "Thought it would be better"

Current Employee - Newborn Photographer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Newborn Photographer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Charley's Angels part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love working with new families and tiny babies.

Cons

Highly recommend skipping over this job. They make you pay for the start up drug screening and TB test, plus if you need any vaccines, you have to pay for them too. They say they'll reimburse you for these tests after 90 days, but it took them, get this, 6 MONTHS to pay me back! My coworker had to spend over $300 on the tests. Hope they pay her back sooner. New management is inexperienced and absent. Unless you're ready to spend a big chunk of cash and wait two months to be hired, only to find you are highly underpaid and watched, and constantly threatened with "infractions", I suggest you look elsewhere for a position.

Advice to Management

Read the reviews. There's a reason everyone works here for three months to be reimbursed and then quits as soon as possible.

3. "In no way can you sustain a living."

Pros

They are moving toward natural light in one of their hospitals, which makes the photography fun and creative

Pretty high commission, when you get it. Pay is base or commission, so you do get paid either way, unlike other jobs of this type

Cons

Job is in no way sustainable as a living. Hours are not guaranteed, pay is not guaranteed (you could get paid for 6 hours or 11 minutes). Only way this works is as a side income to a stellar main job, or if you're a bomb sales person

Uses outdated equipment, mainly editing software.

Deliberately misled me on what my would pay would be in the interview. Also posted a misleading ad.

Communication between departments is poor, and customer service is constantly referring clients to photographers because they can't explain products properly. I've been working at one of their hospitals for a straight month now, and I still haven't gotten a decent explanation on some of our packages. Company still needs work on organization

Advice to Management

Do not lie to potential employees. Give them an honest account what they'll get, or you will end up with unhappy customers

4. "Keeps me shooting, regular paycheck"

Current Employee - Photographer/Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Photographer/Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Charley's Angels part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I don't think of this job as something that's going to bring me a career. It's something I can go to every day, do my work, and then go home and not worry about it anymore. I don't expect the bonuses to be a regular part of my paycheck, nor do I expect the images to be my absolutely best work that I spend hours on. Just go in, shoot, edit, do your work to the best of your ability and go home. Nothing more than that. The hours work for what I need.

Cons

After training, you're by yourself a lot, which gets lonely, and it would be nice to have two photographers working together, or at least an assistant. But I understand it's not easy or financially smart to pay two people when one will do. Sometimes other photographers don't do everything they're supposed to, or make mistakes for you to clear up the next day.

Advice to Management

Maybe schedule two photographers at a time every now and then so coworkers can collaborate more on tasks. Everyone seems to do things differently.

5. "Baby Photographer"

Current Employee - Photographer in Hopewell, NJ
    Current Employee - Photographer in Hopewell, NJ

I have been working at Charley's Angels part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I Book appointments, posing and taking pictures of the babies, doing inventory every month, enter information in to the computer. Cleaning up before leaving for the day

Cons

Cancelling appointments and getting interrupted

"Don't bother"

Pros

Photographing newborns is tons of fun and rewarding. Nothing will make you feel better than seeing a family smile over the pictures you take!

Cons

Management is poor. Pay is poor. Expectations are outta this world for the pay you get. Don't waste your time here!

Advice to Management

Pay employees better. Commission is awful. The job is fun and we'll but make it worth someone's time.

"Company is very disorganized, owners are rude"

Former Employee - Photographer/Sales
    Former Employee - Photographer/Sales

I worked at Charley's Angels part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with new babies and return them after :)

Cons

1. Company pays minimum wage and commission is so little. They don't offer commission for online sales which is unfair. You also don't get commission if your session takes longer than expected. They want you to provide excellent service but yet still you have to rush through your sessions to take pictures.
    2. Equipment is really crappy. The cameras are old, computers don't work and editing software is sub par.
    3. The is no direct over heads, the corporate office is very un organized and they don't always respond to your issues. They give out critical infractions like no other though. The higher ups don't care about you or your career, or even if you have input to make the company better. As frontline workers, we get a lot of feedback that's ignored.
    4. Owners are rude. Specifically Carrie & michelle. Vance is super nice. Yolanda never sends out emails. For a company this large, all the owners are pretty uneducated. Their written English is terrible. Read the brochure & you'll find so many typos.
    5. You have to provide stationery because they ignore your requests for more. They make you do stupid repetitive work that's a waste of time so that your time worked is too long to get a bonus. You have so much extra work which adds up and prevents you from getting a bonus.
    6. You are required to drop off laundry and deposit checks. TWICE a week!!!
    7. Hours are inconsistent because their photos are so crappy. No one wants to buy the photos. Some people even say it at the first look of the brochure.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Remove that time limit to do a session. Aim for better images and truly serving your customers. Customers are going to customized modern newborn photography studios because in hospital ones are so outdated. You guys need a spell checker and people that are qualified for their positions.

"A young company with heart, but a lot of business growth to do."

Former Employee - Newborn Baby Photographer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Newborn Baby Photographer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Charley's Angels part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job itself is fun, heartwarming, and very personal. Photographing brand new babies in the hospital and creating memories with each family is very fulfilling work. Commission on sales is always a bonus.

Cons

While leadership meant well, business wise the company seems very unorganized and scattered. Not having local management is a detriment to some areas and an absolute necessity. In addition, the commission was not very satisfying. Plus, no commission from online sales.

Advice to Management

The current rate of a couple of dollars above minimum wage per hour wouldn't feel so bad if the amount of commission were a little higher. To sell $100 of merchandise that you photographed and edited, only to be rewarded with $5 of that amount is not very good motivation. I would suggest to raise either the hourly rate or the commission. I would also recommend that employees still be eligible to receive commission from online sales.

9. "Diapointed"

Current Employee - Photographer in Richland, WA
    Current Employee - Photographer in Richland, WA

I have been working at Charley's Angels part-time (More than a year)

Pros

facilities are nice
    company works with its employers

Cons

coworkers are inconsiderate
    lead to believe that you will actually make money
    hours are inconsistant

10. "Company does not value talent, all about large sales and profits for the owners"

Former Employee - Photographer/Sales in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Photographer/Sales in Austin, TX

I worked at Charley's Angels part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compared to other, boring retail jobs or the stress of waiting tables--this seemed like a dream: who wouldn't love talking to brand new parents and seeing newborn babies? For someone with a creative flair, it also seemed like a great opportunity to get paid for being an artist because (so my reasoning went) these packages would not require a hard sell because parents are vulnerable and think their babies are beautiful and want to share that with the world, no matter how much it costs.

Cons

Reality check: baby photography is struggling in the modern age right along with journalism the music business and a host of other industries. Every one of us has a high quality camera on us at all times. We have photo apps wherein we can add captions, change the tint and do all manner of special effects, cropping etc. in 5 minutes and for no more than $5. So what kind of market is there, really, for hundred of dollars worth of hard copy baby photos? And because of the low standard pay, you MUST sell hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of photos before you can even dream of touching a living wage doing this. The percentage of profit given to the person on the ground handling both the creative aspect AND the sales...is sickening.

Advice to Management

Give photographers their fair share and offer products people can't get elsewhere with a quicker turnaround time.