Charlotte County Florida Reviews | Glassdoor

Ray ​Sandrock

1. "Rewarding"

Current Employee - Senior Program Coordinator in Port Charlotte, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Program Coordinator in Port Charlotte, FL

I have been working at Charlotte County Florida full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are awesome. Paid sick and vacation time, paid health insurance, free health clinic. Plenty of opportunities for advancement. Union supported.

Cons

You are under scrutiny of the public and tax payers. You are also under the county commissioners and they change every 4 years so things that were in place for the past few years sometimes changes.

2. "Environmental Specialist"

Former Employee - Senior Environmental Specialist in Port Charlotte, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Environmental Specialist in Port Charlotte, FL

I worked at Charlotte County Florida full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The position of Environmental Specialist at Charlotte County's Parks is a fulfilling job with the potential of making a difference. The work duties are enjoyable and include tasks of critical importance. Most work is done in the field managing natural ecosystems.

Cons

The positions in many departments, including Environmental Services, Parks and Natural Resources (the names keep changing with reorganizations) have become politicized and the appearance of corruption is prevalent. Generally, Environmental Specialist who have a good knowledge base and experience and can't be either coerced or "trained" to follow questionable practices and agendas either loose their job or don't get hired to begin with, with openings often going to people who do not meet the qualifications. Surprisingly, Environmental Specialists in the Building Development Department seem to be able to avoid this and are remaining above board at this time.

Advice to Management

Stand for correct principles. View employees with experience as assets rather than threats. Be honest and don't work behind the backs of your staff.

"Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Regional Librarian in Port Charlotte, FL
    Former Employee - Regional Librarian in Port Charlotte, FL

I worked at Charlotte County Florida full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay well, the benefits are good if you stay in-network, and other Charlotte County departments are helpful and friendly. The only awful department I interacted with was the one I worked in-the library.

Cons

I have worked in libraries for fifteen years, in all positions, and as a consultant for other libraries in the state. I moved my family after a promise of progression of the mission, team atmosphere, and a new and exciting implementation of services. I cashed in my 401K to go to Florida with this promise. They paid wonderful. The benefits are wonderful as long as you stay in network. What I found when I got there? Everyone in the libraries walk around as if there is a dark cloud over their head wondering if they will get fired. No team atmosphere. All the staff are so protective that they will get in trouble for one thing or another that they don't interact with each other because they fear the repercussions. The worst part? The library management. After I relocated, there was zero training. The library management was a micromanager, not professional, did not interact with staff, publicly ridiculed staff, bad mouthed staff, and wanted a mind reader to work for her. Any input you give is immediately shot down. The second day I was there, someone was fired, and I found out about at least 6 people fired/quit within the past year. I can't say it strongly enough-this was the absolutely worst environment I have ever worked within in the 25 years of my career. After I filed a complaint, it was only forwarded to the person that I made the complaint about. I quit after 5 months.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

4. "Great part time job with retirement"

Current Employee - Lifeguard in Punta Gorda, FL
    Current Employee - Lifeguard in Punta Gorda, FL

I have been working at Charlotte County Florida part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working out doors, get to swim and train every day. Good pay for lifeguards, more than surrounding areas. County seems very friendly. Opportunities to apply to other jobs internally.

Cons

Customers can be rude and upset when you have to enforce pool rules. Scheduling can be weird, working evening one day then day shift the next. Management can't seem to stick with set schedules. Allow more hours for part time employees, currently its only allowed 25hours, raise it to 29.

Advice to Management

Better work life balance. Raise the part time hours to 29, we understand your won't give health benefits but its hard to make a living off 25 hours a week. 29 would help a little so we could work less at our 2nd job while working for the county.

5. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Utilities Mechanic in Port Charlotte, FL
    Current Employee - Utilities Mechanic in Port Charlotte, FL

I have been working at Charlotte County Florida full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefit Package. Nice staff.

Cons

Under pay freeze for five years.

6. "Tradeshelper"

I have been working at Charlotte County Florida full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Charlotte County cares about its employees.

Cons

White collars more appreciated than blue collars

Advice to Management

Give merit increases more often.

7. "Firefighter"

Current Employee - Firefighter/Paramedic
    Current Employee - Firefighter/Paramedic

I have been working at Charlotte County Florida full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice benefit package
    Friendly environment
    Employee health center
    Pay is comparable with smaller counties
    Most residents are nice

Cons

Do not give much in way of family planning benefits, adoption, time off, etc...
    Pay freezes for 7 years with only a 4.5% increase in the past 2 years
    Paid time off is limited
    No incentive to further your education

Advice to Management

Consider more than just a dollar figure when you take into account your employees, happier employees mean cheaper costs in the long run. We work more efficiently and end up saving you money the happier we are. I know Charlotte County is an older community, but remember you have younger employees with growing families, take care of the younger employees too as this is the only way to attract "new blood" and to get you truly the best of the best. Paid time off for the birth of children, adoption costs, assistance with day care. All of this will help attract the best young minds around!

8. "These are not your Father's Government Job- Little or No Benefits, No Leadership"

Pros

flexible hours with requests for vacations mostly fulfilled, Retiement Package offered, good perks for depending on department where one works

Cons

Poor communication on all levels, militaristic cutlure, an elite few receive inside information and perks to further careers, Senior Mgment grossly overpaid in terms of competence, responsibilities, and level of work vs. private sector, lack of Real leadership, fragmented staff,

Advice to Management

get a clue!

"extreme disfunction"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

Pros

usaully laid back, allowed to sink or swim based on performance but also based on how well you can shmooze the elected officials.

Cons

No leadership at the top...let politicains run the show, management is scared of officials and their reactions to what the do or dont do