Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Superintendent Heath Morrison
Heath Morrison

Pros
Cons
  • Very low pay scale for most staff including Administrators (in 20 reviews)

• When applying to the school system the hiring process is long and no one is willing to help you (in 13 reviews)

1. "No Union - Ridiculous expectations"

Former Employee - Former ELA Teacher in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Former ELA Teacher in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The students are the best

Cons

Working for administrators who behave like megalomaniacs and a school system that supports their behaviors all the while not supporting the work and effort that teachers put into their "careers."

Terrible pay and benefits

Lack of professional respect

Advice to Management

Treat teachers like the educated professionals that they are and don't forget to pay them a living wage that is indicative of their professional worth.

"teacher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

some schools are better than others

Cons

Being harassed and bullied. Having to "sit in" on meetings not pertaining to my work ethics but co-worker's and made to feel as well as told incompetent because of my race. Also told I can't comprehend because of my race. Threatened.

Advice to Management

HR should "police" their Principals and assistant principals and provide them with TRAINING on how to TALK to their faculty and staff

"Elementary Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Teacher in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Some supportive coworkers who are willing to share their ideas.
    -The children are eager to learn, perform well, and respond to engagement practices.
    -The county is vast, so there are many job opportunities available.

Cons

-I have never been as stressed, miserable, and constantly chided as I was this school year.
    -Beware of principals who are brought in to raise school grades. In my experience, they demand that this job take up your time 24/7 and nothing is ever good enough.
    -A toxic environment where the negative thoughts and ideas of the principal trickle down to influence staff members and turn them against you.

Advice to Management

Remember that teachers are human too and that, in the end, teaching is our job, not necessarily our entire existence.

"8th Grade Language Arts Teacher"

Former Employee - Language Arts Teacher in Jacksonville, NC
    Former Employee - Language Arts Teacher in Jacksonville, NC

I worked at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (More than a year)

Pros

Making connections with the children and letting them know that each of them is spectacular.

Cons

So much regulatory red tape and micro-management that it's impossible to teach.

"Elementary Teacher"

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (More than 5 years)

Pros

Charlotte is an amazing city with an endless amount to see and do. There are outdoor activities as well as arts and cultural.

Cons

Extended school day without extra compensation, some of the nation's lowest teacher salaries.

"Bigger is not better"

Former Employee - Teacher and Administrator in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Teacher and Administrator in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fellow teachers were wonderful to work with, students were mostly enthusiastic about learning. New schools provided clean working environment.

Cons

Absolutely no trust in teachers to make decisions, so many levels of bureaucracy and each level required paperwork that was a waste of time. Some facilities are in terrible shape, no duty free lunch in some schools. Creativity was frowned upon, emphasis on data and teaching scripts replaced any freedom a teacher might want to use. Too many useless meetings meant there were days you couldn't even go to the bathroom. Too many administrators who are using the job to feed their ego rather than help students and teachers.

Advice to Management

Let teachers do what they are trained to do, and give them ample time to prepare. Planning time does not mean meet with a million facilitators and do the latest worthless paperwork, planning time means letting teachers work together to plan lessons. Reestablish trust with teachers, don't ask that they justify every single decision they make. Ensure duty free lunch is in every school, especially those with challenging student populations. Those teachers need a breather more than anyone. After getting feedback on teacher surveys, actually make changes with the information. Otherwise, a teacher shortage is imminent.

"Awful County"

Former Employee - Secondary Teacher in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Secondary Teacher in Charlotte, NC

Pros

The students were always the pros to this job. The students I worked with were extremely tough since it was a title 1 school.

Cons

Everything. It was impossible to get clear answers, too many people working there shirking duties onto others. My administrators at the school I worked at were horrible, racist, and targeted young teachers. Since the school had many very public problems (made the news a few times), they blamed teachers that didn't have tenure and harassed them until the teachers resigned or made up reviews of them until the teachers didn't have renewed contracts. Entire departments left. Only after a hideous year and the principal refusing to disclose public information were administrators relocated to other schools. Any school district that tolerates such unprofessionalism from administrators isn't a school district that cares about individual employees or the students.

"Associate after school program"

Former Employee - Associate/Clerical Assistant in Pineville, NC
    Former Employee - Associate/Clerical Assistant in Pineville, NC

I worked at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (Less than a year)

Pros

The kids that's about it. I have no other positive comments for the after school program.

Cons

No room for advancement the bosses do not have your back

Advice to Management

Support your staff

"Very poor climate. No room for growth"

Current Employee - Teacher in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Teacher in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The kids are great.
    It is great to have summers off.
    The holidays off are great.
    The schools teamed up wjth the Library which is a great partnership.

Cons

The blind is leading the blind.
    The people in charge are not adequately trained.
    People do not welcome a collaborative environment.

Advice to Management

Dig deeper. Trust your teachers.

"Title 1 Middle School Math"

Former Employee - Math Teacher in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Math Teacher in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. North Carolina is where good teachers realize that their careers in education will crumble immediately.

Cons

Where to start. Creativity not encouraged, according to the system there is only one way to get to an answer, everything else is wrong. The system is flawed, and competition is frowned upon. The system does little to support its teachers AT ALL, which is churning out bright talent and burning them out before they are even given a fair chance. Leadership is poor, there is no support, classrooms are embarrassingly overflowing with children, but no materials.

Advice to Management

Management-quit. All of you. Resign. After years of CLEARLY not caring about your staff, which in turn is impacting performance of students and teachers, it is obvious you care more about budget cuts than education. If i walked into one more offsite meeting where teachers were having a "workday," while the board members who were supposed to be making the important decisions on educations sat around the table and complained about the caliber of the full spread luncheon they "budgeted" for their "meeting," then I would have lost all faith in the education of our state... which clearly, is in shambles.