Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Superintendent Heath Morrison
Heath Morrison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The district provided excellent professional development trainings and funding for EC instructional materials (in 15 reviews)

• Good pay good benefits and that's it (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay scale for most staff including Administrators (in 21 reviews)

• When applying to the school system the hiring process is long and no one is willing to help you (in 13 reviews)

1. "They don't treat media Specialists as teachers."

Former Employee - Media Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Media Specialist in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Pay and time off during the holidays and summer.

Cons

Treatment of staff and evaluations and teacher for america.

"This was a very stressful work environment; teachers were harrassed by the administration until they resigned or retired"

Current Employee - Teacher in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Teacher in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Winter break and summers off

Cons

My principal picked teachers off one by one. The turnover rate was incredible.The administration specifically targeted older teachers. Administration caved to the demands of parents. The graduation retention rate is a joke. Teachers were pressured to pass students who did not learn because the principal's bonus depended on it.

Advice to Management

Make public shools about education.

"The worst experience of my 30+ years of teaching"

Former Employee - Teacher in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I had a few very good students.

Cons

CMS just doesn't understand that discipline is their biggest problem. If the system worked on just this one issue, test scores would go way up. They just can't seem to hire principals that know how to turn a school around. I had six in 14 years and they all were ineffective.

Advice to Management

Deal with the poor discipline and hire principals that will support the teachers.

"Awful Experience"

Former Employee - Teacher in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of aside from the chance to work with some wonderful students and their families.

Cons

Extremely poor leadership, particularly at the school level (principal, facilitators).

Demeaning comments, unfair evaluations, favorites, politics, unruly coworkers, and coercing employees into giving details of their private lives through intimidation made this a truly awful experience.

My principal broke many rules yet was never disciplined. However, teachers were publicly yelled at like young children if they were not one of the "favorites" of administration, which included hostile facilitators and teachers "in power". Additionally, most of the social activities revolved around drinking--certainly not something children should see their teachers do in public (most of the teachers got clearly drunk at the few events I did attend). I was attacked for my personality, my teaching style (despite having the highest achievement levels of any teacher in my building and 100% parent satisfaction), and the fact I did not partake in the gossip, drinking, and student slander commonly done by other staff members.

Everything is about data and principal bonuses. Nobody really cared about students or parents at this school and I relied solely on the support of my parents throughout. Avoid this school system at all costs--there is a reason why they have as many vacancies as they do.

Advice to Management

Value feedback from employees as to retaining leadership at the school level. Be sure to supervise principals better and have outsiders evaluate teachers. This system needs to be about students at the end of the day, not data, money, cronyism, etc.

"Worst experience teaching"

Former Employee - Teacher in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Turn over is so great it is easy to land a teaching position.

Cons

The school I was working at was not proactive with discipline. Administration seemed to take on special pet projects to help "at risk students". This led to students who felt they had special privileges and were not held accountable for their disruptive behavior making it near impossible to do what I was hired to do - teach.

Advice to Management

Remove disruptive students from classrooms so teachers can teach.

"My Employment Experience at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools"

I worked at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had an opportunity to work with a great staff, however the leaders, particularly in the HR department, are incompetent.

Cons

Executive leadership in the HR department of CMS promote incompetent, uneducated people in management positions; authorize raises during budget freezes, and retaliate against employees who they did not like.

Advice to Management

Advice to Heath Morrison: Please hire a Chief Human Resources Officer with Executive/Corporate Level Human Resources Experience!

"Terrible Experience"

Former Employee - Elementary School Teacher in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Elementary School Teacher in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Poor leadership, unfair reviews due to personality conflicts, administration intimidating teachers, constant surprise observations meant to intimidate teachers, bringing home work with you constantly, poor morale among staff because everyone is miserable, a facilitator actually took a teachers cell phone to look through private messages and forward to principal, staff being asked to "spy" on other teachers and report back to teacher, poor pay

Advice to Management

treat teachers like human beings

"Poorly run school system that is hurting our community"

I have been working at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Students and staff were wonderful

Cons

-Too many meetings-before school, during planning period and after school-leaving no time to adequately plan
    -School district is too big to succeed-each "zone" has individual needs
    -No reward system in place for teachers to want to succeed-I was a coach, involved in extra-curriculars, had great test scores (the best 4) years in a row and our pay was cut and we were expected to do more, more more

Advice to Management

Give your teachers positive feedback everyone and a while

"You are the public's enemy and slave at the same time"

Former Employee - Teacher in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

June, July, and August as well as frequent days off throughout the year; The benefit of knowing misery loves company; Employee discounts;

Cons

Compensation (no true raise since 2008); Expensive benefits ($70 copays for state workers - I'll pass); Company values; Long hours (630am - 630pm); Apathetic students; Top heavy structure; Teachers receive the blame for EVERYTHING that goes wrong; Currently teachers in Masters' degree programs will no longer receive raises - so now they have ALL that debt and no way to pay it pay. Please, NC keep up the good work!

Advice to Management

Things have improved with Heath Morrison but we are a diploma mill. Students graduate with a diploma that no longer represents the acquisition and mastery of knowledge but rather an attendance record of seat time. I'm going to have to move somewhere with stricter academic requirements for students because America, we are screwed.

"Dissatisfied"

Pros

The hard working teachers and having the summer off (without pay).

Cons

The discipline problems and the class sizes.

Advice to Management

Please listen to the teachers.