Charter College Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Joshua Swayne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Helping students achieve their dreams is an amazing intrinsic reward" (in 14 reviews)

• "Good people & processes in every department try to help the students overcome challenges to succeed & graduate" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "The upper management is tyrannical and insulting to their employees" (in 13 reviews)

• "Now I will agree some that were recently let go went with good reason" (in 10 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Full Time in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Full Time in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Charter College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I get to help students, there's something different every day

Cons

A lot of reports

Dec 13, 2017 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your 5 star review! We appreciate the time you spent with us and wish you well in your future endeavors.

Posted on behalf of Josh Swayne, President and CEO.

2. "Medical Assistant Instructor"

Current Employee - Medical Instructor in East Wenatchee, WA
    Current Employee - Medical Instructor in East Wenatchee, WA

I have been working at Charter College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small enough to have regular interaction with all the students. On-line and in-class instruction and assignments are well structured and user-friendly.

Cons

Entry level training, which limits the teaching of deeper concepts. Some course assignments requiring essay responses that do not have enough instructor resources ascribed in the grading template.

Advice to Management

Instructors need more interactive training on software utilization to best serve the students.

May 20, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review and 4 stars!

We appreciate your recognition of our smaller classrooms and labs to ensure students are receiving focused attention.

We agree that teaching some... More

"Campus Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Campus Administrative Assistant in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Campus Administrative Assistant in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Charter College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Better than Average Pay, clean front office, friendly work staff

Cons

Constant feeling of micromanagement, bad benefits, when times are tough not much help is provided, heavy workload for one position

Advice to Management

Delegate or re leave some aspects of the positions to ease the stressful workload. Consider working with employees that struggle rather than a sink or swim type of mentality. There are reasons why the turnover rate for the front is so high, please consider why it happens .

"Don't work here if you don't have to."

I worked at Charter College full-time

Pros

Pay.
    And, a few really great students whose lives truly were positively affected by their education at Charter.

Cons

Charter is not a moral business. Period. They lie, pressure and coerce many of the prospective students into enrolling in Charter. Many of the people in leadership roles have degrees from questionable institutions that are either just like Charter or have already been shut down. These poorly educated people cause chronic problems that the few good people in the company are constantly having to clean up. People are constantly quitting or getting fired. This means that you will have crazy new responsibilities thrust upon you regularly, with no training, if you are someone who has stayed longer than 3 months. (Yes, 3 months, so many people quit or are fired in their first weeks and months. It's insane.) Also, everything you do is closely monitored. They video monitor you everywhere and they listen to your phone calls. At first, it didn't bother me. But, it has steadily become creepier and weird. And, I suspect that some members of leadership spend their whole days monitoring their employees, instead of doing actual work that needs to be done. I was enticed by a good pay, but in the end, I had to leave. I felt like I was in the twilight zone or something. Avoid this place if you can.

"For Profit College"

I worked at Charter College full-time

Pros

Viable sub- baccalaureate program for students with minimal education and no desire to pursue a degree program, as credits from this program will not transfer to public universities or colleges.

Cons

Qualified educators are marginalized and are governed by business strategies not educational outcomes. Decisions regarding performance are NOT based on student evaluations, or by immediate supervisor, but rather an off site hierarchy of supervisors who are not educators.

Advice to Management

Focus on Academic Integrity, Objective Research, and strive for excellence in the professional fields the program is designed to support. Not just the number of students you can get out the door.

May 7, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback.

The transfer of credits is not unique to Charter College. The ability to transfer credits from one school to other is always limited. We... More

"Bottom Line: Profit Driven at Expense of Students and Staff"

I worked at Charter College full-time

Pros

The company provides you an excellent opportunity to examine your personal morals, ethics, and standards on a daily basis. You will be forced to choose between a morally corrupt, money hungry, CEO and the team he groomed and promoted from the Pasco campus, or you will choose to serve the students who are there to better themselves and their current circumstances. However, serving the students will come at a very high cost. You will discover for yourself, what you are willing to compromise. Money, advancement, status within this company? Or students? If you are profit driven and will stop at nothing to get it. This is the company for you. The company is fast paced. They quickly change and evolve. This goes for curriculum, hiring, recruiting, management, and for staff. They embrace this even. "Believe or leave." Yet, when changing so quickly, does one even know what they believe in anymore? If you appreciate bullying and lying, I would also say that that is a pro of the company, especially within upper management. You will be offered the opportunity to experience this often. In all honestly, the students who come wanting to receive an education and better their futures are the real pro, though the way it happens through this company is such a shame.

Cons

The company's push for "professional appearance" is probably the funniest thing about Charter College. The company is so far from professional in their business dealings, hiring practices, recruiting of students, and teaching of classes, and yet professional dress and professionalism is preached all the time. It is this facade that the company pushes so that others can not see the dysfunction that oozes beneath the surface. Look at the way the business responds to these comments on these sites. Some are hostile, and argumentative under the guise of "setting the record straight, or sharing their side." If this company was simply ethical and upstanding, there would not be such a desperate need to always be on the defense. If this company cared about it's customers (the students) or it's employees, you would see it on here in it's responses. You would see it in genuine reviews. Not vague 5 star reviews that employees were asked/encouraged to get on here and give. You would see it in the way others talked about this company. You would see it in the growing numbers and campuses. In happy employees. While there is some of that, as with any company, there are far more layoffs, firings, more deceit, and cut throat business practices that are hurting staff and students. Putting the dollar first and people second.

Advice to Management

Quit checking your values at the door and picking them up on the way out every day. Care about your customers and put yourself in their shoes.

Apr 20, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your recognition of our fast paced, change- driven environment. And yes, as CEO I embrace the culture of “Believe or Leave” and expect our employees to do... More

"Administrative Assistant"

I worked at Charter College full-time

Pros

good people to work with

Cons

management issues
    unstable
    high turn over
    numbers based
    no concern to WFM

Advice to Management

appreciate you staff!

Mar 26, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your acknowledgement of the dedicated and engaged employees in the organization.

Charter College values its employees and we are invested in providing... More

"Keep looking, don't stop here"

I worked at Charter College full-time

Pros

There were pros at the beginning, but they disappeared.

Cons

There are many cons, more than there are pros.

Advice to Management

Integrity is missing.

Mar 26, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review.

It is unfortunate that the reviewer took the time to post, but no information was provided that would warrant any response other than the above.

Posted on behalf of... More

"Great CoWorkers!"

Former Employee - Career Service Officer in Oxnard, CA
    Former Employee - Career Service Officer in Oxnard, CA

I worked at Charter College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely loved my coworkers. They were so kind and welcoming.

Cons

The benefits for a family were very expensive. Also, the hourly pay was less than I was hoping for.

Mar 26, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review.

We appreciate the acknowledgement of your former colleagues. We agree that the employees in this organization are outstanding!

Charter College offers competitive... More

"School will be closed soon im sure. dont waste your time."

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Fife, WA
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Fife, WA

I worked at Charter College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great entry salary, nice office, no weekends.

Cons

the School is NOT ACCREDITED they lie to students and say it is their credits will NEVER transfer. the school itself is a joke there are NO BOOKS for the students even though the tuition is thru the roof. the school is always empty as it should be. you will be making ALOT of outbound calls you are basically a high paid telemarketer you are expected to call students on a DAILY basis sometimes three times A DAY. very cold environment to work in ,upper management is very dishonest and not trust worthy. there is NO TRAINING but very high expectation to preform. no one wants to go to this school. most of the students are felons low income or have mental challenges. the "president" is essentially an over paid chair ornament. layoffs are very common. firings are even more common. if you have no soul you will fit right in.

Advice to Management

quit. stop lying to students and employees

Jan 21, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your recognition of our competitive wage and work schedule.

To state that we are not an accredited institution is patently false. The reviewer knows that... More