Charter College Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Joshua Swayne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Helping students achieve their dreams is an amazing intrinsic reward (in 13 reviews)

• I enjoy getting to help students change their lives (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management is tyrannical and insulting to their employees (in 12 reviews)

• Now I will agree some that were recently let go went with good reason (in 10 reviews)

1. "Externship Instructor"

Former Employee - Externship Coordinator in Pasco, WA
    Former Employee - Externship Coordinator in Pasco, WA

I worked at Charter College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved the job and working with students and faculty

Cons

always on edge about job ending

Advice to Management

be more inclusive on changes to be made

2. "Could not be happier"

Current Employee - Instructor, College Or University in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Instructor, College Or University in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Charter College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best team work ever. Best interest for students is a common goal. Building better lives is a priority for everyone at Charter. Blended courses and online courses allow me the opportunity to work on self-enrichment at my convenience. Management is always open to new ideas and thoughts on policy and procedure. I can always reach someone for guidance in policy, no matter the time of day, or day of the week.

Cons

Like anyone, I would like to have a bigger salary, but I think I am paid fairly.

Advice to Management

None.

Sep 13, 2017 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your 5 star review! We appreciate the dedication shown to your students and colleagues. We hire and develop the best employee talent. We look forward to assisting you in reaching your... More

3. "Decent pay, Great Co-Worker, Toxic Environment"

I have been working at Charter College full-time

Pros

The pay was decent, my co-workers were great, and there was a little bit of training.

Cons

Micromanagment
    Felt more like a sales job (trying to sell their students to companies)
    No room for growth
    Lots of Drama
    Lack of Credibility as a company
    Everything was their way or the highway

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like humans and stop looking over their shoulder and eavesdropping on their conversations the entire time their working for you. You've created a toxic work environment.

"Locally familial, Nationally tyrannical with fleeting ethics"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Charter College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The campus leadership at the local level was incredible.
    The admissions team was the best in the company as well as an incredible family to work with.
    Management allowed us to make the right decisions for our potential students.
    The pay was good for the last year that I was there.

Cons

The upper management is tyrannical and insulting to their employees. Unrealistic expectations and emotionally fueled and aggressive attacks upon the character of their employees seems to be the way that they choose to operate. I used to be a huge advocate of the CEO until I discovered the nature of his bureaucratic iron fist. Though I consider myself an incredibly intuitive individual, I had no idea that he chose to smile in your face and defame behind your back. All promotions were politically based, zero came from skill. In fact, many of the promotions from one campus in particular were in the interest of defusing a scandal. All of the people promoted were female. Management operates in a completely dismissive manner. A year ago, they cut the pay for admissions representatives by way of an email (we weren't important enough for a meeting...). This pay cut was so catastrophic that the most tenured member of our team lost $30,000 annually and had 2 weeks to prepare for such a catastrophic pay cut. Not even a month later during a quarterly meeting, the former CEO bragged that his average annual bar tab was more than the meager salary that he had just cut his admissions reps to. Over the course of my 3 years at the Vancouver campus I watched 43 people either be fired or quit (predominantly fired). The campus is practically a rotating door.

Advice to Management

Be honest to your employees and value them. Stop emotionally abusing employees. Attach value to tenure and continued success. Set realistic expectations for what your employees can achieve during their work day. Stop promoting unskilled staff and start rewarding those that are subject matter experts. Treat your instructors with more respect. Operate ethically. Without a complete sweep of C level management all of the way up to the top, I see no way that Charter will be deserving of keeping incredibly skilled staff.

Sep 13, 2017 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your service, and wish you well in your future endeavors. Posted on behalf of Josh Swayne, President and CEO.

"Whats happening at Charter College"

Former Employee - Executive Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Executive Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Charter College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

While I was at Charter College (Prospect Education) in the student Services department, we had a great team there that had a lot of success in assisting the graduates in finding positions in their field of study.

Cons

Lack of Leadership at the head of the office and also in the school. Just before I left a new President took over the reigns at the college....and the spiral started. I have since learned that the office we were housed out of has been closed and ALL of the Student Service employees at that location have either left or been laid off, except the head of the office who sat behind a desk and had no interaction with the staff except to let them go. Who is assisting the student? Who is keeping the students interest first in helping them find positions?The students have to be frustrated with the lack of help.

Advice to Management

Josh, you should have stayed in the "Co-pilots" position and the board should of put someone in charge who knows what they are doing....

"Ugh...Admissions"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative

I have been working at Charter College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, no weekends, nice location, benefits have a low monthly charge. Professional looking work setting. Smaller staff, easy to get to know at least a few of your co-workers. Programs for students are only 10 months long.

Cons

Make a 100+ phone calls, hopefully book a couple appointments and repeat. Because of the "educational" element, there's no commission, no overtime.

That's all. You'll do more manipulative tactics then actual sales tactics. It's a privately held career college that is more concerned with making its sales goals, than enriching others. If you're new expect to be calling on the deadest of dead leads. Expect to be hung up on a lot regardless.

Professionalism is preached left and right to students of the college, but most employees talk like it's a locker room or construction site, most unprofessional conversations subjects I've ever heard since working ever. Then employees will complain that the students do the same behavior.

Lack of communication and collaboration within teams. Some people know things weeks before other. Teams and team mates don't work with each other, unless they are voluntary told to do so. Unless it's the admin roles, who are tasked with more than they can handle from time to time.

All in all Admissions is an Account Executive style role. Using tactics to have others to do impulsive actions and acquire at least $20K in debt for a Certificate in 10 months.

Aug 14, 2017 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your positive comments regarding our pay scale, benefits and professional campuses.

Working in admissions is a rewarding career for those that want to... More

"Could be a good place to work"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Fife, WA
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Fife, WA

I worked at Charter College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The instructors are passionate about what they do. The campus was very clean. Helping students achieve their dreams is an amazing intrinsic reward.

Cons

In admissions we made 100+ phone calls a day. I was directed to call numbers that I knew where wrong to try and get a lead out of it. After that, and a few other "creative" ways of lead generation, I became disengaged. I still made my goals ethically, but could not get back on board. I lost respect for my director and that is why I was fired. Contrary to HR's response to another review. I had good numbers. Of course when I was let go, the numbers thrown at me where not even close to what I really had achieved. I didn't bother to fight for my position, the decision had been made for me. I couldn't continue to work for a director that was shady. I am grateful that I was fired, now I have a position that does not stress me out.

Advice to Management

I believe management knows what is going on at the campus Admissions level. Turnover is going to continue until good leadership is in place. Students need to feel like they are the priority, not their money. I get it's a business and must be profitable, but student's need better resources and access to help.

Sep 14, 2017 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review! We want our employees to be engaged in their work, believe in the mission, and trust their supervisor is leading in a positive direction. Our hope would be that any... More

8. "You Get What You Put In"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Charter College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very nice. Great family environment.

Cons

No overtime. Lots of computer / desk work.

Advice to Management

Continue to cultivate a better environment.

Jul 16, 2017 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for the 4 star review!

Appreciate your comments about the company and the importance to develop culture. We plan to take these next steps to cultivate a better environment through our... More

"Career Services"

I worked at Charter College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

HaHa.....yeah right! There is nothing good about working here! Run for your career life! They will suck all the positive energy out of you!

Cons

This school is a complete fraud. There are some positive outcomes but they are minute in comparison to the amount of lives they mess up. They pressure students into programs and force their employees to engage in illegal activities such passing a student who has not satisfactorily completed coursework. They are setting people up for failure by passing them to make an extra dollar. I would never recommend anyone work here, they will be out of business very soon. They foster an environment that says 'do whatever it takes' and ignore the impact they have on the community and their employees. They promote the wrong people and they want 'robots' to work for them. They do not welcome critical feedback and will lash out if you provide it. An absolute disaster. They burn thru money a the speed of light! I would only recommend working here if you cannot find a job that you prefer! This should always be a last resort! At the pace they are on they will be out of business by 2020!

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees! Promote people based up skill level, and not because you like them. Too much favoritism! Josh Swayne has fired people based upon if he likes them or not! He promoted someonoe to chancellor who is not qualified because she does not know how to do the job of people below her! If you are in executive management you should always know what the people in the trenches do! Otherwise you look incompetent! I would definitely recommend taking a hard look at who's in leadership! But you won't because you are Charter College and you are greedy, stupid, and cold!

Jul 21, 2017 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. Glassdoor does not independently verify that persons leaving a review are former employees of the company, nor do they confirm the reviewers longevity with the... More

"Campus Support Specialist"

Current Employee - Campus Support
    Current Employee - Campus Support

I have been working at Charter College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, positive environment for students, and longevity for employment. Great education options for students who are looking to get into the work world quickly. Making a difference in our student's lives is very evident!

Cons

Limited growth options at a campus level.

Advice to Management

Reach out to all positions for feedback, especially the ones on campus who deal with the students and community the most.

Jun 13, 2017 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review and the five star rating! We appreciate your feedback on our level of commitment to providing quality education in a positive environment for our students. We are equally... More