Charter College Reviews

Updated Mar 10, 2020

2.6
Charter College Chief Executive Officer Joshua Swayne (no image)
Joshua Swayne
Pros
  • "Ideally you will be helping students achieve their goals and improve their lives(in 16 reviews)

• "Great pay, great feedback, great job(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management does nothing but lie to you about the company it self and also how the care about you(in 16 reviews)

• "Now I will agree some that were recently let go went with good reason(in 10 reviews)

1. "Student Success"

Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at Charter College full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Employees/Team Management Open for Suggestions Trusting of Employees Good Work/Life Balance

Cons

Challenging Student Population/Demographics Constant Change Extremely Limited Employee Appreciation Funding (for events)

Charter College2019-09-24

October 6, 2019Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your 5-star review! We appreciate your acknowledgement of the collaborative and transparent culture we foster at Charter College. We agree that constant change can at times be difficult, but we also know that students vote with their feet and our commitment to being responsive drives the changes within our organization As CEO, I have teamed up with Human Resources to continue to find ways to offer ancillary benefits and programs to our employees, as we know we could not be successful without great folks like yourself. Thank you for the time you spent with us, and wish you well in your future endeavors. Posted on behalf of Josh Swayne, President and CEO.

2. "There’s more respectable companies out there"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Charter College full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people I work with (besides management)

Cons

Just about everything working for charter is a con. Bosses are micro-management style. Fire and hire kinda type of company. Benefits are even the best. The pay is decent but there’s a lot of other companies out there that have better benefits and pay. Also being a parent and having to deal with situations you can’t foresee- they punish you for choosing your family over work. And I’m talking small situations like kids are sick and you need to miss one day.

Charter College2020-03-11
  3. "Wow"

Current Employee - Admissions Coordinator in Sandy, UT

I have been working at Charter College full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Good pay -No weekends -Friendly coworkers -1 Hour lunch -that’s it

Cons

-Micromanagement -Unrealistic Quota -Unstable -Unhealthy environment -Cold calls with some warm leads, but that’s rare

Charter College2020-03-02

March 19, 2020Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your list of pros and will repeat them. Good pay. No weekends. Friendly coworkers. One hour lunch. Consistent in our reviews is an honest acknowledgment of our competitive pay, family-friendly schedules, engaged co-workers, and ancillary benefits. What cannot be captured in this short list is the sheer amount of time and work this organization puts into evaluating, assessing and implementing additional benefits and resources to retain top talent. We consistently review the comments submitted in our Employee Satisfaction Surveys to find innovative ways to add value while also exploring and implementing new programs/policies and procedures to mitigate areas in which we receive poor survey outcomes. We believe this continuing commitment to excellence should go both ways. As an employer we have a duty and desire to be a best place to work. In return, we ask that our employees re-commit every day to their position, their colleagues and their campus. Reach out when they need assistance, accept the guidance and training recommendations offered and make the good faith effort (as we do) to improve and perform next level. As with all things, whenever the perceived cons outweigh the measurable pros, it may be time for this reviewer to reassess their continued employment in a sales role where set metrics (including outbound calling) need to be met on a daily basis. While always unfortunate when a decision to part ways needs to be made, it appears it would be in our mutual best interest. I trust you will reach out to your supervisor and make the best decision for you. Thank you for all you have contributed to the organization. Posted on behalf of Josh Swayne, President and CEO.

4. "Worst company I have worked for"

Former Employee - Academic Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Charter College full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pros that I can say for this job was that I did not have to work on weekend and I was able to pay my bills.

Cons

This was the worst experience I have ever had in my career. Leaving was the best decision I have ever made in my life. Upper management does nothing but lie to you about the company it self and also how the care about you. This company does not put there employees first at all and has no respect , ethics and values! They hide everything and the turn over should speak volumes. The only people who stay in the company is super management and they need to Reevaluate who and what the problem is because the people they are firing which I wasn’t one of them but the many they have since I saw aren’t either. It might be them.

Charter College2020-02-22

March 19, 2020Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you acknowledgement of our family-friendly schedules and competitive pay rate. We agree that re-evaluating challenges and issues to determine where solutions can be found is important for the success of any organization. Our managers can also review the tracked productivity of each member of the sales team to see where those deficiencies might be. As much as the reviewer might wish to point the finger anywhere other than their own lack of performance, numbers don’t lie, neither do documented sales activities (or in this case, the lack thereof). Negativity is corrosive and destructive in any company , so we appreciate the reviewer’s honest self-awareness in recognizing the role was not a good fit and the consistent attainment of metrics was not a goal they could meet. The performing, engaged and enthusiastic employees in Sandy appreciate it even more. We thank you for the time you spent with us and wish you well in your future endeavors. Posted on behalf of Josh Swayne, President and CEO.

5. "A very important mission"

4.0
    Former Employee - President in Washougal, WA

I worked at Charter College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The mission of Charter College is geared to helping adult students set positive career goals and to give them the support and tools they need to be successful. Not only practical skills but also the soft skills that make or break a person's employment experience. I feel they do an admirable job. I felt like we provided a valuable service to the community and put many people to work in roles that make a difference.

Cons

Looking back at my experience there, it would be nice if the CEO and Human Services had the bravery to approach what they see as unsatisfactory behavior in an open, constructive and forthright manner. Their approach is not that at all. I have to say that I respect and honor them for their work generally, but solving problems with employees is a superior way to improve rather than to fire and hire new employees.

Charter College2019-12-13

December 23, 2019Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your understanding of the importance of our mission, and the time you spent helping us to promote it. The Human Resources Department is sensitive to handling negative employee behavior in a forthright and well documented manner. At Charter College, we are committed to giving our folks every opportunity to review behavior or performance that is not productive. Through weekly feedback, performance reviews, coaching, communication tools and documentation, we provide the time and support to make the necessary improvements. While it is always unfortunate when we must part ways, it is only after an employee has demonstrated they are unable or unwilling to take the necessary corrective action. We trust our coaching and performance improvement process and it is always our wish that underperforming employees will use the tools provided. We agree it is important to retain and reward employee talent. Unfortunately belief in our mission does not excuse poor behavior or sub-par performance. We appreciate your contributions and wish you well in your future endeavors! Posted on behalf of Josh Swayne, President and CEO.

6. "Admissions Coordinator"

I have been working at Charter College full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great environment and great management that helps push you to meet goals as well as training you very well on the way there.

Cons

Metrics are everything. If you are good at your job and but are unlucky with having the time to implement your skills, you will be put on a performance plan that is somewhat based on luck.

Charter College2019-10-28

November 3, 2019Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your 3 star review! We appreciate your acknowledgement of the culture of positivity we strive daily to uphold. We know that for any employee to be successful they must have the training, tools and supervisor motivation to excel! We view our performance improvement plans in this same light. No matter who we are or what position we hold, it is imperative to keep learning, stretching and growing. The specificity of the steps needed to reach the next step are clearly outlined in our performance improvement plans. Employees who understand our commitment to their personal success appreciate the fact they do not need to rely on luck or chance. By receiving detailed metrics and goals supported by directed training, every employee can remain confident in Charter College, their supervisor and themselves! Thank you for the individual contributions you make on a daily basis to promote your team, your campus and our students! We appreciate all that you do. Posted on behalf of Josh Swayne, President and CEO.

7. "Best job I've had, lots of room to grow"

Current Employee - Externship Coordinator in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Charter College full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall positive atmosphere Management is very understanding of workers with families Lots of potential to advance Helping students get jobs and change their lives

Cons

None that I can think of. We have a goals to hit, just worry about hitting the goals.

Charter College2019-09-13

October 6, 2019Vice President of Human Resources

Wow! Thank you for your 5-star review! We appreciate your acknowledgement of the positive culture and how management is aware of employees work life balance at Charter College. We appreciate that hitting our goals is a focus since we could not do this without the dedication to getting our students their externship sites. We also know that goals can be a hard thing to focus on and might we recommend to confide in your supervisor or Campus President for assistance if you need guidance. Thank you for the years you have been with us, and feel great about the work you do to get our students to work. Posted on behalf of Josh Swayne, President and CEO.

8. "Extremely Happy"

Current Employee - Admissions Coordinator in Sandy, UT

I have been working at Charter College full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very positive and fun atmosphere

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons.

Charter College2019-08-31

October 6, 2019Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for the 5-star review and the positive approvals!! As an Admissions Coordinator you are the first point of contact with our students and without you we would not be able to make the connection of being the right fit for them. We appreciate the acknowledgement about our fun and positive atmosphere in Sandy, Utah and we think they do fabulous work. We will keep up the good work and appreciate the work you do for Charter and our students. Posted on behalf of Josh Swayne, President and CEO.

9. "Wonderful employer"

Current Employee - Campus President in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Charter College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Open and transparent communication Accessible leadership Good company benefits Pathways for advancement Embraces change initiatives aimed at improving company and cultural standards

Cons

None to date- I'm very pleased with my experience. The Human Resource team is the best I've ever worked with. Accounting and finance are the best people, truly. Department leaders, Campus Presidents, Executives, and every individual team member I've encountered are here to improve student outcomes and work to get our great students to work. I love working here.

Charter College2019-08-20

September 9, 2019Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your 5 star review! We appreciate the recognition of the positive culture to which we continually aspire. Under your leadership, our campus staff continue to flourish. Recommitting yourself daily to excellent is evident in our student outcomes and achievement. Thank you for all you do! Posted on behalf of Josh Swayne, President and CEO.

10. "Make a Change this is a real thing,"

4.0
    Current Employee - Lead Dental Assistant Instructor in Fife, WA

I have been working at Charter College full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pay, good benefits, great staff.

Cons

Need to put money into marketing. Just do it!

Charter College2019-08-08

September 10, 2019Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your 4 star review! We appreciate your acknowledgement of our pay, benefits and awesome colleagues! We continually work to foster a culture that promotes the open communication that you have provided. The marketing team continues to look for creative and impactful ways to reach out to those that would benefit from pursuing a certificate or degree and we will use your feedback to once again assess our current campaigns. We agree that change can be difficult for some, and for those like you that are able to embrace and grow to better serve our students also find personal and professional benefits from doing so. Our long term employees are the bedrock of this organization and we truly could not do it without you! Working in a career that makes a fundamental positive shift in the lives of others is truly rewarding, and as our students needs change, we do too. Those employees that are successful in making these transitions continue to benefit their students, campus and community. We could not ask for more. Here’s to many more years of continued success! We truly appreciate you. Posted on behalf of Josh Swayne, President and CEO.

Found 180 reviews