Charter College 134 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joshua Swayne

Pros
  • You believe you are helping students change their lives (in 12 reviews)

• I enjoy getting to help students change their lives (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I have found this to be the case with everyone in upper management (in 12 reviews)

• Now I will agree some that were recently let go went with good reason (in 10 reviews)

"The pay is great, the environment will leave you feeling dirty"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Sandy, UT

I have been working at Charter College (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay. Some of the leadership is outstanding and really went out of their way to help grow their team. Nice being able to communicate with students over skype and make a difference in their lives (hopefully for the better..)

Cons

Sometimes a toxic environment. Lots of pressure to enroll prospective students who may not be the best fit for the Charter programs.. I doubt the efficacy of their programs as well, read the reviews. Spontaneous layoffs if the lead forecast does not match up with reality. Charter college is sincerely a money driven environment and they won't hesitate to can you if you don't soak up their shark like mentality towards enrolling anyone and everyone.

Advice to Management

Lighten up.

Feb 12, 2017 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. Working in admissions is a rewarding career for those that want to help others change their life and we take this obligation very seriously. The position is a ... More

"employee"

I worked at Charter College full-time

Pros

Your peers will be hardworking people.

Cons

Management is toxic. Unless, you want want to be micromanaged, bullied and harrashed - do not work for Charter College.

Advice to Management

Stop the micromanagement and start worry about the larger issues affecting the profitability of the company. On this course Charter College will soon. Be completely run into the ground.

"Admissions Rep"

I worked at Charter College full-time

Pros

The pay was the only benefit to that company

Cons

You are trying to sell broke college aged individuals a $24,000 certificate so they can get a job making a maximum $16-$18 per hour if they are lucky.
    It is a for profit trade school that is only interested in making money and does not actually care about their employees or students.

Mar 24, 2017 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate the recognition of our competitive pay and benefits. It is unfortunate that during your tenure you were unable to see the benefits of a fast-track ... More

"No longevity with employees, high turnover should be a clue to management"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Charter College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-pretty decent pay, and loved my co workers

Cons

-management is very over bearing, extremely micro managed, and numbers are all that matters. I ended up quitting but during my time at charter I saw the salt lake office shrink from 40~ reps down to 10. They fire people like it's going out of style, and even fired someone while he was at the hospital during his wife's labor. People are very stressed because there is 0 job security and constant firing with no notice. There used to be 3 assistant directors of admissions and they ended up demoting the two better ones and kept the one who got the best numbers even though it was terrible for moral and unpopular with all employees.

Advice to Management

-management needs to stop micro managing and students need to be treated as people rather than bonuses and money.

Feb 12, 2017 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback regarding our competitive pay and team-oriented environment. The admissions representative position has clearly defined metrics that ... More

"Unprofessional behavior!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Charter College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My co-workers! We are all very close and chat throughout the day to keep each other going. It's like a Family. We have each other's backs!

Cons

Our Campus President has bright pink hair and wears short leather skirts. Not the way to set an example of a dress code, though she will look at us side-ways if we wear something she doesn't like. They fire employees with no explanation at all. The morale is very low and almost all of us are looking for other jobs!

Advice to Management

Hire a professional Campus President who actually cares about Students and someone who comes into the office instead of stays at home when their is even a threat of snow or ice. The whole Campus feels the same. Even our Students laugh at her along with their Instructors!

Feb 12, 2017 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your recognition of the camaraderie and teamwork that we work to promote within the company. We understand there will always be the potential for ... More

"Strange business practice"

Pros

Co-workers, wage, hours, I got all my breaks

Cons

Everyday was like a first day since there were so many changes. I never knew what was going on and what departments would be eliminated

Advice to Management

Stop changing things without thinking ahead, it affects everyone including the students

Dec 8, 2016 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review! We understand that change can be difficult for some people, but at Charter College, we have a bias for action. We act quickly and are always moving forward. We are ... More

8. "Career service officer"

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

None that I can think of at this time

Dec 8, 2016 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your continued commitment to our students and our company. Posted on behalf of Joshua Swayne, President/CEO.

"Enrollment Processor"

Former Employee - Enrollment Processor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment Processor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Charter College (Less than a year)

Pros

The paycheck was nice and steady. There were many interesting people I met via the student community.

Cons

The practices are deceptive and corrupt for students and employees. I was told not to list my college degrees on my employee profile because they didn't want to deal with the paperwork.

Advice to Management

If you don't want to listen to people about their ideas, then close your doors.

Dec 8, 2016 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review! For accreditation purposes, we are required to maintain employee data sheets on file for inspection and review. There are certain positions within the organization that ... More

"Admissions Representative"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Charter College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paychecks are stable and the company's use of technology is really causing it to grow quickly! Compared to other schools, there is some freedom to put your personality into the interview process, which is nice. Good people & processes in every department try to help the students overcome challenges to succeed & graduate. The technology is really amazing.

Cons

The SLC location is new and growing, so management is figuring out what works and what doesn't. High turnover, but not unlike many sales positions. High pressure can be exhausting & stressful. This place is not for people with health conditions!

Advice to Management

Great reps are assigned to difficult epods and end up with less leads & enrollments than a worse rep with great leads. They will end up missing bonuses down the road simply because of the campus they are assigned to. It gets discouraging when the playing field is not equal in Admissions. Stick with percentages more than gross enrollments to determine who needs improvement & who is great! Creating opportunities for promotion or working remotely for those who meet their percentages would keep employees motivated or less stressed & not looking around at other jobs. Overall, this is a good company & I would recommend it (and have) to others.

Oct 7, 2016 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for the four star review! We appreciate your continued commitment to the SLC management and team as we continue to adopt methods that will streamline our sales process. The technology ... More

11. "Great"

Pros

Good compensation for and benefits

Cons

No job security with numbers

Advice to Management

Don't lead by fear

Oct 7, 2016 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for the five star rating! Reaching goals will always be a part of any sales position. We agree that while challenging at times, being able to change the lives of each student is our ... More