Charter College Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 2, 2018

2.3
Joshua Swayne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Ideally you will be helping students achieve their goals and improve their lives" (in 15 reviews)

• "Good people & processes in every department try to help the students overcome challenges to succeed & graduate" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "The upper management is tyrannical and insulting to their employees" (in 14 reviews)

• "Now I will agree some that were recently let go went with good reason" (in 10 reviews)

1. "Into the far outside."

Current Employee - Pre-Press Technician in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Pre-Press Technician in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Charter College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great building to be in. Good teachers, The best wording about how to do a job.

Cons

I dont have any cons about working here. everything is awesome and friendly.

Advice to Management

Relax and achieve the importance of life and to agree to knowledge.

Sep 21, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

While we certainly appreciate the positive review, Charter College does not employ Pre-Press Technicians and believe this may have been posted to our account in error.

Thank you!

Posted on... More

"Unbiased review"

I worked at Charter College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to work with some amazing and talented people.
    The interaction with the students.
    The pay is ok

Cons

Let me start by saying I worked at Charter College for four years and for the most part I enjoyed my time with Charter, but that was due solely to my immediate supervisor and team and the students.
    What was disheartening to me was that I accepted the position believing full well I would be helping people better their lives. Yes we did find many jobs....were they really in their field of study? Let’s say it was quite a stretch at times, trying to word their job descriptions to fit what our accrediting body required. When they did find work it was jobs that paid 13-14/hr. Barley a livable wage and then adding on the $20,000 worth of debt is not what I considered making a positive change.
    There was too much change. I am a strong believer in “if you’re not changing, you’re not growing, however the change was almost daily. It was like mental whiplash or dealing with someone who is bipolar. You never knew what to expect. When change is the only consistent thing within a company, employees get shaken, they get nervous. It is not a good environment when change is that often. You never knew if your job was safe.
    The gossiping and backstabbing was high school-ish behavior.
    Upper management was chosen based off of favoritism, people were fired simply because the new management didn’t like them or they did push back or spoke up about what they felt was wrong.
    In the responses I have seen it mentioned to express your concerns, well when good employees did, they were fired. They were looked as if they were going against the wave of change.
    I can personally say the positive reviews on here were mostly solicited. In my four years with Charter I was asked three times to post a positive review and I recall huddled around a coworkers computer watching her type her solicited review.
    There were all staff meetings where we were called stupid, that I will never forget. I read other reviews where others mentioned that as well. Believe me when I say “it happened”
    The employee reviews of recommending to others as a great place to work probably do say 90%, but these surveys were done by people that had not always been there a long time. The turnover is too high to get a real honest answer. Or they are completed out of fear of telling the truth and being fired. They say it is anonymous, but who knows if it really is. Most people in my department answered how they felt they needed to answer, not how they really felt. If the satisfaction is really 90% why the high turnover, why so many negative reviews on Glassdoor.
    Like I said I did enjoy my time with Charter, but that was solely based on coworkers and the students.
    They enrolled people without HS Diplomas or GEDS. You can not find work no matter your degree if you do not possess one of those. They enrolled anyone with a pulse, they enrolled developmentally delayed adults!! That is morally wrong.
    Upper management and the CEO are not in it for the students, the only lives they are worried about changing are their own.
    I would not recommend this place for a job or for an education.
    If you a considering a job with Charter please take the time to read these reviews, all these people can’t all be saying the same thing if there isn’t some truth to it. Before writing this review I sat and read almost all the reviews. These folks ARE NOT LYING.
    If you choose to become an employee, just remember you have been warned.

Advice to Management

Please learn to value your employees, most are good honest people who want to make a change. Do not lead by fear or intimidation.

"Death Trap"

I worked at Charter College full-time

Pros

Ideally you will be helping students achieve their goals and improve their lives. However, many students who are encouraged to start are never going to make it, will be strapped with high debt and will leave worse off than when they started.

Cons

Charter College is a great place to work if you love high pressure work environments, unrealistic expectations, unreasonable management, high turnover, poor team morale, and working with a whatever it takes to survive mentality. Start at Charter with the best of intentions but know that inevitably you will pay the price just like all of those who came before you.

Advice to Management

Focus on your people. Focus on your students. Take care of them and they will take care of you. Your turnover is high for a reason!

Nov 15, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your positive comments regarding the ability to help our students improve their lives.

Pursuing a career in this field is rewarding for those that want... More

4. "Admissions Assistant"

Former Employee - Admissions Assistant in Oxnard, CA
    Former Employee - Admissions Assistant in Oxnard, CA

I worked at Charter College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

co-workers, events, working with students

Cons

toxic environment, complete hierarchy , low quality education.

Advice to Management

more focus on students than numbers

Aug 31, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your acknowledgment of your colleagues and our student engagement activities.

We disagree with your assessment of the quality of our education as we are... More

5. "Medical Assistant Instructor"

Current Employee - Medical Instructor in East Wenatchee, WA
    Current Employee - Medical Instructor in East Wenatchee, WA

I have been working at Charter College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small enough to have regular interaction with all the students. On-line and in-class instruction and assignments are well structured and user-friendly.

Cons

Entry level training, which limits the teaching of deeper concepts. Some course assignments requiring essay responses that do not have enough instructor resources ascribed in the grading template.

Advice to Management

Instructors need more interactive training on software utilization to best serve the students.

May 20, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review and 4 stars!

We appreciate your recognition of our smaller classrooms and labs to ensure students are receiving focused attention.

We agree that teaching some... More

"Don't work here if you don't have to."

I worked at Charter College full-time

Pros

Pay.
    And, a few really great students whose lives truly were positively affected by their education at Charter.

Cons

Charter is not a moral business. Period. They lie, pressure and coerce many of the prospective students into enrolling in Charter. Many of the people in leadership roles have degrees from questionable institutions that are either just like Charter or have already been shut down. These poorly educated people cause chronic problems that the few good people in the company are constantly having to clean up. People are constantly quitting or getting fired. This means that you will have crazy new responsibilities thrust upon you regularly, with no training, if you are someone who has stayed longer than 3 months. (Yes, 3 months, so many people quit or are fired in their first weeks and months. It's insane.) Also, everything you do is closely monitored. They video monitor you everywhere and they listen to your phone calls. At first, it didn't bother me. But, it has steadily become creepier and weird. And, I suspect that some members of leadership spend their whole days monitoring their employees, instead of doing actual work that needs to be done. I was enticed by a good pay, but in the end, I had to leave. I felt like I was in the twilight zone or something. Avoid this place if you can.

Aug 7, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your recognition of our competitive compensation.

The reviewer’s assertion that our Leadership Team have degrees from “questionable institutions” is... More

"Campus Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Campus Administrative Assistant in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Campus Administrative Assistant in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Charter College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Better than Average Pay, clean front office, friendly work staff

Cons

Constant feeling of micromanagement, bad benefits, when times are tough not much help is provided, heavy workload for one position

Advice to Management

Delegate or re leave some aspects of the positions to ease the stressful workload. Consider working with employees that struggle rather than a sink or swim type of mentality. There are reasons why the turnover rate for the front is so high, please consider why it happens .

Aug 7, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your acknowledgement of our competitive pay and team environment!

We agree there are times that can be busier than others and are working to identify... More

"For Profit College"

I worked at Charter College full-time

Pros

Viable sub- baccalaureate program for students with minimal education and no desire to pursue a degree program, as credits from this program will not transfer to public universities or colleges.

Cons

Qualified educators are marginalized and are governed by business strategies not educational outcomes. Decisions regarding performance are NOT based on student evaluations, or by immediate supervisor, but rather an off site hierarchy of supervisors who are not educators.

Advice to Management

Focus on Academic Integrity, Objective Research, and strive for excellence in the professional fields the program is designed to support. Not just the number of students you can get out the door.

May 7, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback.

The transfer of credits is not unique to Charter College. The ability to transfer credits from one school to other is always limited. We... More

"Bottom Line: Profit Driven at Expense of Students and Staff"

I worked at Charter College full-time

Pros

The company provides you an excellent opportunity to examine your personal morals, ethics, and standards on a daily basis. You will be forced to choose between a morally corrupt, money hungry, CEO and the team he groomed and promoted from the Pasco campus, or you will choose to serve the students who are there to better themselves and their current circumstances. However, serving the students will come at a very high cost. You will discover for yourself, what you are willing to compromise. Money, advancement, status within this company? Or students? If you are profit driven and will stop at nothing to get it. This is the company for you. The company is fast paced. They quickly change and evolve. This goes for curriculum, hiring, recruiting, management, and for staff. They embrace this even. "Believe or leave." Yet, when changing so quickly, does one even know what they believe in anymore? If you appreciate bullying and lying, I would also say that that is a pro of the company, especially within upper management. You will be offered the opportunity to experience this often. In all honestly, the students who come wanting to receive an education and better their futures are the real pro, though the way it happens through this company is such a shame.

Cons

The company's push for "professional appearance" is probably the funniest thing about Charter College. The company is so far from professional in their business dealings, hiring practices, recruiting of students, and teaching of classes, and yet professional dress and professionalism is preached all the time. It is this facade that the company pushes so that others can not see the dysfunction that oozes beneath the surface. Look at the way the business responds to these comments on these sites. Some are hostile, and argumentative under the guise of "setting the record straight, or sharing their side." If this company was simply ethical and upstanding, there would not be such a desperate need to always be on the defense. If this company cared about it's customers (the students) or it's employees, you would see it on here in it's responses. You would see it in genuine reviews. Not vague 5 star reviews that employees were asked/encouraged to get on here and give. You would see it in the way others talked about this company. You would see it in the growing numbers and campuses. In happy employees. While there is some of that, as with any company, there are far more layoffs, firings, more deceit, and cut throat business practices that are hurting staff and students. Putting the dollar first and people second.

Advice to Management

Quit checking your values at the door and picking them up on the way out every day. Care about your customers and put yourself in their shoes.

Apr 20, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your recognition of our fast paced, change- driven environment. And yes, as CEO I embrace the culture of “Believe or Leave” and expect our employees to do... More

"Administrative Assistant"

I worked at Charter College full-time

Pros

good people to work with

Cons

management issues
    unstable
    high turn over
    numbers based
    no concern to WFM

Advice to Management

appreciate you staff!

Mar 26, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your acknowledgement of the dedicated and engaged employees in the organization.

Charter College values its employees and we are invested in providing... More