Charter College Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 9, 2017

4.0
Joshua Swayne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You believe you are helping students change their lives (in 12 reviews)

• I enjoy getting to help students change their lives (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I have found this to be the case with everyone in upper management (in 11 reviews)

• Now I will agree some that were recently let go went with good reason (in 9 reviews)

1. "You Get What You Put In"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Charter College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very nice. Great family environment.

Cons

No overtime. Lots of computer / desk work.

Advice to Management

Continue to cultivate a better environment.

Jul 16, 2017 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for the 4 star review!

Appreciate your comments about the company and the importance to develop culture. We plan to take these next steps to cultivate a better environment through our... More

"We make a positive impact on people's lives, every day."

I have been working at Charter College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunty exists if you work hard for it, like most things in life.

Cons

Employee retention could be improved.

Advice to Management

Staff/Faculty Development + Recognition = Increased employee retention = Student referrals

May 19, 2017 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We sincerely appreciate the positive recommendation.

We agree that employee retention is the key to success and have taken measurable steps to provide training... More

"Admissions Representative"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Charter College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paychecks are stable and the company's use of technology is really causing it to grow quickly! Compared to other schools, there is some freedom to put your personality into the interview process, which is nice. Good people & processes in every department try to help the students overcome challenges to succeed & graduate. The technology is really amazing.

Cons

The SLC location is new and growing, so management is figuring out what works and what doesn't. High turnover, but not unlike many sales positions. High pressure can be exhausting & stressful. This place is not for people with health conditions!

Advice to Management

Great reps are assigned to difficult epods and end up with less leads & enrollments than a worse rep with great leads. They will end up missing bonuses down the road simply because of the campus they are assigned to. It gets discouraging when the playing field is not equal in Admissions. Stick with percentages more than gross enrollments to determine who needs improvement & who is great! Creating opportunities for promotion or working remotely for those who meet their percentages would keep employees motivated or less stressed & not looking around at other jobs. Overall, this is a good company & I would recommend it (and have) to others.

Oct 7, 2016 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for the four star review! We appreciate your continued commitment to the SLC management and team as we continue to adopt methods that will streamline our sales process. The technology... More

4. "Adjunct Instructor"

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Canyon Country, CA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Canyon Country, CA

I have been working at Charter College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good programs in growing careers. Students who are self activated do very well. Family environment among faculty and staff.

Cons

Things change very quickly and for profit educations is getting less support.

Advice to Management

With so much continual can you could focus more on communication.

Aug 2, 2016 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thanks for your four stars. We appreciate your commitment to our students and we agree, we can always look for ways to improve our communication.

5. "job"

Current Employee - Enrollment Processor in Pasco, WA
    Current Employee - Enrollment Processor in Pasco, WA

I have been working at Charter College (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment!

Management is always looking for ways to improve the school and to provide different things for the student.

Forward thinking attitude

Cons

Health benefits aren't great.
    Have to work different schedules through-out the week
    Trying to get ideas for management to consider is hard.

Jul 15, 2016 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thanks for your four stars. You know my email address. Send your ideas directly to me!

Posted on behalf of Michael Dawson/CEO.

6. "Career Services Officer : South Jordan , UT"

Former Employee - Career Services Officer/Trainer in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Career Services Officer/Trainer in South Jordan, UT

Pros

I was hired by the director with whom I ended up having a strong working relationship . She was always patient , approachable and supportive. I later reported to a different supervisor, a senior CSO, who had the same attributes. They both strived to make the working environment better and to assist with training/professional development. The director that hired me even offered to give me a professional reference if I ever need it--class act. Even the "boss' boss" who worked in my same office was very cool and approachable--she's very positive. She supported me and listened to my suggestions. I love that they foster teamwork and have monthly teambuilding/social activities. I would recommend this employer. It's a great gig.

Cons

People come and people go in all organizations...

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work in listening, developing, and giving your employees the tools they need to succeed.

Jul 15, 2016 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thanks for your four stars and your insights and complements. We wish you a long and fruitful career with the company.

"CSO"

I have been working at Charter College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are tons of possibilities for upward mobility here.

Cons

Not really sure how great the benefits are. They haven't been presented to us yet, and don't kick in until after 90 days.

Jan 31, 2016 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thanks for your 4 stars! I will look into our onboarding process to ensure that benefits are covered upfront. I know they are supposed to be. It may be a training issue with whoever completed your... More

8. "Instructor position"

Former Employee - Lead Pharmacy Technician Instructor in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Lead Pharmacy Technician Instructor in Reno, NV

I worked at Charter College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interactive student success coaching, class preparation, curriculum enhancement and provide extra educational assistance to students was enriching part of the job.

Cons

Student retention could be challenging.

Dec 3, 2015 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your good work while you were here. I am sure our students appreciated it. Our best to you in your future endeavors.

Posted on behalf of Michael Dawson, President/CEO.

"Believe or Leave"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Charter College (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for Charter College for 4 years and absolutely love what I do. I get to work with a great group of professionals who truly care about our students and graduates and who see their success as their own. There are a lot of opportunities for employees to move up, as our company is growing.

Cons

As a company, Charter College is constantly evolving; and if you are not prepared to be flexible and grow then this is not the company for you.

Advice to Management

The components that employees care about include; the ability to make more money, having control over their schedules or having flexibility with it, opportunities to better themselves through education as well as their workspace. Most employees would like some say in some or all of these things. Knowing what your employees really want from you and being able to provide those things is not always possible but can sometimes be leveraged through negotiations to result in a win-win. When management are willing to do this, they will have less turn-over, happier/ more productive employees that have control over their rewards because they've been able to spell them out.

Nov 18, 2015 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thanks for your support and your sage advice. We would agree that knowing what employees want is important and we do seek their input companywide on a regular basis, but we can always do a better... More

"The company is constantly improving"

I have been working at Charter College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked at Charter College for over eight years and have witnessed a lot of changes and growth. Traveling from campus to campus, I've always found our staff and faculty to be smart professionals who care about our students. This may sound like a commercial for the company but I'm sincere on this comment. I was not asked to write this and it comes entirely from my personal perspective. The company has come a long ways and has experienced growing pains like any other company that started from the ground floor and is constantly striving to improve. I've enjoyed working here and, if I wasn't happy, I could have left at any time. This is a testament to my sincerity. I stayed because of our management leadership and my fellow staff and faculty who are all great people to work with. However, I've also run across a few employees who were negative from the start and they don't seem to be here very long. A positive and caring attitude is a requisite in this company. The company also expects you to work hard and smart which is not a problem with the quality of our employees. Again, if I wasn't happy, I would have left a long time ago. In fact, I hope to work here for the next 20 years.

Cons

The company is constantly adapting and adjusting to the marketplace in a tough regulatory environment but continually strives to improve. We are constantly growing and frequent re-organizations and changes are sometimes needed. Management is constantly seeking honest feedback and input from their employees. I can send an email to our company CEO, which I've done many times, and he will consider and respond to my comments and suggestions within 24 hours. I have found this to be the case with everyone in upper management. My managers have always given me the tools and help I needed to succeed. Personal education and training is always encouraged. Again, this is all from my own viewpoint.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees and keep striving to improve with respect to our student's education and service. I'm excited about the direction of the company and its many opportunities. This is a wonderful company to work for and I'm thrilled to be a part of it.

Oct 19, 2015 – Vice President of Human Resources

Glad you are here! Thanks for your good work and for supporting staff and students in their good work.

Posted on behalf of Michael Dawson, President/CEO.