Charter Schools USA Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Jonathan K. Hage

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Ridiculous requirements; long hours; have to dress a certain way even though the salary offered is lower than almost all public schools" (in 15 reviews)

• "Very low pay as opposed to public school jobs" (in 13 reviews)

"Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at Charter Schools USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for. The idea of a charter school gives parents choices of sending their child to a good school without having to pay private school tuition.

Cons

Retirement not as good as public schools. Open enrollment causes the schools to often times get students who have been expelled from other schools.

Advice to Management

Stipulations on enrollment may be a good idea. You will get a better population of students and better teachers who are able to perform their jobs better.

2. "Teacher"

I worked at Charter Schools USA full-time

Pros

There were some really great teachers at the school I was in.

Cons

(Please note this is only my opinion from the school I was at not Charter USA as a whole) The management was very unreliable, unpredictable, and neglected a lot of the behaviors that were going on around the school. I felt very unsupported.

3. "Music Teacher"

Former Employee - Music Teacher in Davie, FL
    Former Employee - Music Teacher in Davie, FL

I worked at Charter Schools USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Beautifully coordinated to create harmony.

Cons

Not enough time to be creative

Advice to Management

Down to earth

4. "Not for everyone"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Charter Schools USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Students; parents were always very supportive

Cons

There is a culture of social drama between the teachers and admin which takes away from our purpose. One example: there is a never-ending stream of emails from fellow teachers with photos of "look what I am doing in my classroom" aka "I need attention and ego strokes" which the administration encourages. Instead of spending time taking photos and emailing, I prefer to focus on my students and teaching. There is a time and place for the sharing of ideas, called team planning meetings (which we don't have time for). The constant need for ego-stroking is encouraged by administration and gets extremely tiring. I believe there is a saying..."confidence is silent; insecurities are loud"? I am certainly not the only one who feels this way but there is a lot of pressure to play the game.
    School leadership spends an exorbitant amount of time on spirit days, unnecessary emails, what teachers should wear, or ideas such as having all the teachers video themselves doing some silly activity. I get it...you are trying to engage the students, but it all just gets very unprofessional and to be honest when my prep time is non-existent, it can feel insulting.
    Also, I was given little to no curriculum materials and what you are given is not useful. Little to no training on new methods or programs that they expect you to use. I am open and willing to try new ways, but you need to provide training and the materials in order for me to do so.

Advice to Management

Encourage teachers to do a good job for the sake of doing a good job, not for social approval
    Spend money on the classroom, not teacher spirit shirts and social events.
    Find a way to give teachers just a small amount of true planning time (and a bathroom break!) once in a while. This could really increase morale.

"Please go to public school."

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Charter Schools USA full-time

Pros

They are open to hiring many different types of people.

Cons

- No union, they can make you work however long they want and you have no say in it. They are very aware of this,
    - You don't get a contract to sign. You are being held accountable for things to do that you never even sign for. You will always hear, "In your contract, it says you will 'xyz'" You. Don't. Get. A. Contract.
    - It's a numbers game. They have enrollment numbers and that's all they want. You have a kid who needs to be out of this school for abusing teachers? Well, that child represents a dollar sign. Have fun with them not helping.
    - No communication. You will get emails about things happening in the next 2 minutes, there will be events going on at the school that you have never even heard about - but you're supposed to be a representative for the school when it comes to parents asking questions about things going on.
    - They don't support you with the curriculum. You're handed a curriculum map and they say "have fun." There are CRT's at the school that do everything but spend time helping you with the curriculum. It's not their fault, people are just constantly quitting so they have to do things that aren't even in their job description.
    - So, so many meetings.
    - A constant "not my problem" attitude from office staff, when it is, in fact, their problem
    - A very noticeable imbalance of respect from admin. They are treated like gold. Teachers are not.

6. "Before/Aftercare Worker"

I have been working at Charter Schools USA part-time

Pros

Great interaction with students. Learn a lot about schools and how they run.

Cons

only part-time other than that nothing else.

7. "data entry operator"

Former Employee - Data Entry Operate in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Data Entry Operate in Remote, OR

I worked at Charter Schools USA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

salary was good and i got salary on time.

Cons

needs a lots of efforts to do the job.

Advice to Management

nothing.

8. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Charter Schools USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company that values its employees and rewards hard work and dedication

Cons

It's a company that provides public education so pay is at the lower end of the market

9. "Teacher"

I worked at Charter Schools USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company. With room to grow as a teacher.

Cons

Long work hours for low pay.

10. "Enrollment manager"

I worked at Charter Schools USA full-time

Pros

I had a great work team!

Cons

The pay is horrible.