Charter Schools USA Reviews | Glassdoor

Charter Schools USA Reviews

Updated April 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Ridiculous requirements; long hours; have to dress a certain way even though the salary offered is lower than almost all public schools (in 12 reviews)

• We are essentially writing lesson plans from scratch (in 10 reviews)

"Great Leaders and Teachers Make Great Schools"

Current Employee - Teacher in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Amazing professional development opportunities, school-based leadership advocates for the students and teachers, ongoing assessment and data drives student achievement.

Cons

Policy and bureaucracy stands in the way of educators. CSUSA fights a good fight, but teachers do not receive the pay and respect they need for their labor and passion.

Advice to Management

Keep fighting for us. Take on indifferent and greedy legislators. Continue finding ways to incentivize us and recognize our efforts. We will continue working hard for the kids, but recognition and compensation allows us to provide for our families too.

"Toxic work environment - Putting Employees Last"

Former Employee - Marketing in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Charter Schools USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My colleagues were great to work with; they are some of the best and brightest in the industry. My team was very dedicated and had a lot of passion for what we did everyday.

Cons

Unfortunately, CSUSA is a very toxic work environment. Starting from the top, the infrastructure isn't in place to support the current network of schools. The leadership is unaware of the challenges that are taking place in the organization to help make our lives more efficient or equip us with the tools to be successful. The exec team is made up of unprofessional, uneducated, 'yes-men'. Unfortunately, this has resulted in a poor corporate culture, toxic work environment and unprofessional interactions between employees. Because of the poor leadership, there is a lot of favoritism that exist and "us vs. them" mentality that shuns new employees and any innovative ideas. Vice Presidents have been put in place as pons, Directors are not allowed to make decisions and the employees are overworked, underpaid and under appreciated.

CSUSA will not fully leverage your talents because they want your skills, not your perspective.If you try to make a difference or have new ideas, you are punished for trying to change what has "worked" (or in the opinion of many, not working at all). I've even witnessed employees’ discriminated against, sexual harassment taking place and favoritism. But it all gets swept under the rug because the HR department is not in compliance. Nothing is confidential; if you go to HR I guarantee you that within a couple hours it's the talk of the office.

Overall, CSUSA is not an employer of choice or an organization I recommend to anyone. Do your research, read the reviews and do yourself a favor and dedicate yourself to an organization that values their employees. Because one day, your position will be eliminated because of a "corporate restructure." Shady yes, but that is how CSUSA puts employees last.

Advice to Management

None. I advise all employees to update their resume and contact a recruiter.

3. "I love my school"

Current Employee - Teacher in Bonita Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Bonita Springs, FL

Pros

Amazing teachers, supportive administration. I love my school. I am excited to come to work each day and feel confident that if I need anything my administration will support. We are always striving to do what is in the best interest of our students. Our teachers genuinely love our students and that is evident in our hallways.

Cons

Expectations are high, but that isn't always a negative. There are frequent walk throughs by administration, but those offer teachers opportunities for growth. Teachers rotate duties during lunch and recess, but again this is not a huge con. Pay is lower than school district schools, but with performance based pay we do see a salary increase each year.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting your teachers.

"Middle school teacher"

Former Employee - FLORIDA in Coral Springs, FL
    Former Employee - FLORIDA in Coral Springs, FL

I worked at Charter Schools USA (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience to learn. The extra paperwork they require you to do is great experience in education. Lots of access to technology and data.Curriculum maps really do help.

Cons

Lots of extra work, sneaky strategies, favorites/nepotism, low pay, minimal healthcare, NO retirement, daily duty for arrival or dismissal, lots of "observations" which are basically a "gotcha not doing this". Micro-managing to how your while board is laid out. Obsess over data but very little help for RTI.

Advice to Management

Increase the compensation package, I KNOW EMPLOYEE TURNOVER IN SCHOOLS NEGATIVELY IMPACTS EDUCATION. Too much testing with CMAs, NWEAs, and other mandatory curriculum components. Have the MegaBinder go digital, seriously! Every school should have a recycling program! Stop playing favorites about who can break the rules and who can't. Make the observations actually helpful. Give us our feedback to these incessant observation in a timely manner. Stop enabling lazy kids with makeups/retakes, there needs to be more limits.

"Charter Schools USA Jacksonville Florida"

Current Employee - Middle School Teacher in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Middle School Teacher in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Charter Schools USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really good teachers to work with.

Cons

Discipline is not what you would expect from a school of choice
    You will spend way more time filling out forms for lesson plans than you will actually teaching your students

Advice to Management

Increase pay especially for those who have many years of teaching experience and advanced degrees. Stop requiring teachers to do lunch duty and car line duty. Treat teachers like professionals. Stop banning jeans when you have teachers showing up at school in low-cut shirts and very short skirts!

"Art teacher and science teacher"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shreveport, LA

I worked at Charter Schools USA (More than 3 years)

Pros

The bonuses, opportunity for growth; students get second chances with multiple assessments; track student growth with data driven instruction

Cons

Quest visits; unfair evaluations based on the individual/ leader who is evaluating; Megabinder is redundant as a good teacher maintains these required records anyways

Advice to Management

Be fair. Treat all employees equally and in a professional manner. Don't have " favorites " and allow certain behaviors from some people while others get reprimanded and pay unfair consequences.

"Coworkers were the best part of the job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Temple Terrace, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Temple Terrace, FL

I worked at Charter Schools USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some kids were consistently the reason to come in every day
    Coworkers were very supportive, built great relationships

Cons

Corporate school system, admin sometimes had hands tied or did not do everything they could for staff
    Corporate policies forced time wasting in mundane tasks like specific wall/board formatting
    Quarterly walkthroughs, stressful observation cycle where your classroom was graded against a checklist

Advice to Management

Let teachers teach!

"Love the Teachers, DISLIKE the Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at Charter Schools USA full-time

Pros

Great people to work with! Usually can get great materials. Data Utilized instruction

Cons

Long hours, corporate is always making mistakes with pay and other important items. Our Business Manager is slow and shouldn't be in her position. False promises by corporate. Say you can move up the career ladder, but its difficult

Advice to Management

Better communication with ones who want to move their career upward. Stop spending money on a 'pep rally' before the school year only to have us watch a film. Email that to each school and use the money for schools or for teachers bonus.

"Teachet"

Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Tampa, FL

I worked at Charter Schools USA (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers and the kids- interesting curriculum

Cons

High turnover and sneaky admin who are constantly evaluating

"Okay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunrise, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunrise, FL

I have been working at Charter Schools USA (More than a year)

Pros

Some really great coworkers. If you keep that and the fact that what you do is for the benefit of the kids and their education, you will stay motivated.

Cons

No real opportunities for growth.

Advice to Management

Playing "favorites" isn't professional. Need to look at work ethics and overall task management when promoting.