Charter Schools USA Teacher Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jonathan K. Hage

Pros
Cons
  • Ridiculous requirements; long hours; have to dress a certain way even though the salary offered is lower than almost all public schools (in 12 reviews)

• Low pay and they pile a lot of work on one person (in 11 reviews)

"2 years with CSUSA"

Current Employee - Teacher, Kindergarten in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher, Kindergarten in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Charter Schools USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom to teach in class. Good place to start teaching. School expansions plus high turnover means promotion opportunity. Time off for school breaks make the job worth the trouble.

Cons

Paperwork demands. Disorganized administration. High staff turnover at my school.

Advice to Management

Shorter staff meetings would be great. Teachers need planning time.

2. "Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Charter Schools USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Freedom to choose the materials you want to teach.

Cons

Low pay, substandard and expensive benefits, teachers are seen as expendable, poor and overworked administrators, little support for professional development, little support for teachers in almost every way possible.

Advice to Management

Take some of those millions and millions you rake in at this FOR PROFIT company and invest a little in your teachers, materials, and facilities.

"Great Theory Poor Execution"

Former Employee - Teacher in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Charter Schools USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sound Theory and great facilities

Cons

CRT's are poorly trained. CRT's pass on their workload to teachers. Teacher pay is below standard.

"Charter Schools Usa drains every employee in every way possible.This company is micromanaged, there's too much demands."

Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Miami, FL

I worked at Charter Schools USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The hardest part on leaving my job with Charter Schools Usa was to say good bye to all the amazing co-workers I had met, while working there.

Cons

I felt that my experience and expertise of many years didn't count. My ideas and willingness to improve my department didn't matter. I was jus an employee #, just like everyone else. Management were afraid of the student's parents, therefore, employee's opinions, choices and ideas were not important to anyone.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to have a voice, appreciate and respect employees as much as you do for school's students and student's parents. Validate and respect professionalism, new ideas, willingness to make a difference and acknowledge employee's needs and time. You need to believe in your employees more.

"Smiles hide a lack of effort"

I worked at Charter Schools USA full-time

Pros

If you're into data driving your lessons, then this is the place for you. They offer gifted education and the Cambridge program.

Cons

Administration has no interest in sending true problem students away from this school. Students know they can get away with being troublemakers. Students allege teachers are pedophiles and the student just moves to another classroom. Students allege teachers punch them (with camera evidence showing otherwise) and the student just moves classrooms. A dozen data collection websites fill your off-time. They fire people right before winter break so they don't have to pay through that time, because they're in it for the money and not for the education of our youth.

Advice to Management

Listen to your faculty. Work with them in solving the problems that are running through your halls. Don't sweep things under the rug.

"Middle School Math Teacher"

Current Employee - Middle School Math Teacher in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Middle School Math Teacher in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Charter Schools USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Quality relationships with coworkers
    Lots of highly committed teachers and administrators

Cons

Never pick one thing and stick to it
    Very disorganized
    Students are challenging
    Lots of teacher turn over

Advice to Management

Pick one thing and work on it until it is done well. Doing too many things at once leads to doing nothing well.

"Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Brand new school. Opening several more. Clean. Great kids, families and coworkers. Staff is passionate and dedicated. Admin was kind of flexible regarding time off.

Cons

Where do I start? I was waiting for my certification to come through and they offered me a certified position but took it back and gave me sub pay. I moved several states to work for them and they changed the offer letter upon my arrival. No where in the offer letter did it state that you had to be certified it said you had to have "proof of application". Not to mention, it did not state you would be compensated as a substitute teacher without proper certification. In addition, our school was being built, it was barely finished on time and we had to hold training at an alternate location which we found out about 2 days prior. It was quite the drive and we had to also create our own work days because we were kicked out of the school due to inspections not being completed. I finally was able to work in my classroom on the DAY OF open house. Talk about embarrassing. Some classrooms have no windows. It's terrible. Had to buy my own chart paper, classroom library, make my own copies for the first day of school. Provide my own paper for said copies. Overworked and underpaid is an understatement. Expectations are way too high, including weekends, after school programs, tutoring, etc. You buy your own uniforms, from one store and it's super expensive. If you have children that attend you buy their uniforms and yours (obviously, but pricey) You have to constantly be available to parents on Edmodo, Class Dojo and through email. It's way too much! Admin micromanages. Also, I hope you like to be told what you can and can't hang on your classroom walls. Lesson plans also must be imported into Chalk for two full weeks. Curriculum materials were also passed out two days before school started. Very little guidance until week 3 about what to teach. Corporate will come into your classroom and point out what they do and do not like on your walls while you are teaching. Must post essential question, objectives and agenda board including timing of lessons on board. Principals also come in room daily unannounced. If you like to provide your own supplies and be told what to do all the time and give up your entire life for a teaching job then this is for you. It was not for me. I quit after one month.

Advice to Management

RELAX! There are excellent teachers out there and you are going to drive them all out the door with your insane expectations. Nobody wants 5 emails in their inbox on Sunday night about work on Monday morning--NO ONE.

"Great Leaders and Teachers Make Great Schools"

Current Employee - Teacher in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Amazing professional development opportunities, school-based leadership advocates for the students and teachers, ongoing assessment and data drives student achievement.

Cons

Policy and bureaucracy stands in the way of educators. CSUSA fights a good fight, but teachers do not receive the pay and respect they need for their labor and passion.

Advice to Management

Keep fighting for us. Take on indifferent and greedy legislators. Continue finding ways to incentivize us and recognize our efforts. We will continue working hard for the kids, but recognition and compensation allows us to provide for our families too.

10. "I love my school"

Current Employee - Teacher in Bonita Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Bonita Springs, FL

Pros

Amazing teachers, supportive administration. I love my school. I am excited to come to work each day and feel confident that if I need anything my administration will support. We are always striving to do what is in the best interest of our students. Our teachers genuinely love our students and that is evident in our hallways.

Cons

Expectations are high, but that isn't always a negative. There are frequent walk throughs by administration, but those offer teachers opportunities for growth. Teachers rotate duties during lunch and recess, but again this is not a huge con. Pay is lower than school district schools, but with performance based pay we do see a salary increase each year.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting your teachers.

"Charter Schools USA Jacksonville Florida"

Current Employee - Middle School Teacher in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Middle School Teacher in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Charter Schools USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really good teachers to work with.

Cons

Discipline is not what you would expect from a school of choice
    You will spend way more time filling out forms for lesson plans than you will actually teaching your students

Advice to Management

Increase pay especially for those who have many years of teaching experience and advanced degrees. Stop requiring teachers to do lunch duty and car line duty. Treat teachers like professionals. Stop banning jeans when you have teachers showing up at school in low-cut shirts and very short skirts!