Charterhouse Partnership Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 2, 2019

3.2
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "We are a well-established business within the UAE and we get a lot of called in business due to having a great reputation" (in 4 reviews)

• "This year, I was fortunate enough to be part of the Big Billers annual incentive trip to Sun City, South Africa" (in 6 reviews)

Cons

1. "Never accept a job here!"

Former Employee - Consultant in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at Charterhouse Partnership full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

3/5 people you meet in Dubai, have worked at Charterhouse. The turnover is incredibly high so you have a lot in common with most of the Dubai population, it's a great conversation starter.

I particularly enjoyed the team meetings when the MD brings the office to a complete standstill to rant at someone and humiliate them. It was embarrassing, for her.

They hire good people it’s just a shame they have no idea how to retain them.

They relocate you to Dubai. That’s honestly the only positive.

Cons

Charterhouse have the worst reputation in the market, which is why they can only attract talent from the UK as no one in the region would ever work there. I ignored the reviews before moving here and I really wish I didn’t. It’s taken me a year to escape the place and I jumped for joy on my way out!

Dubai is a slow market and due to this, the MD is ruthless. Even consultants that have billed that month can be fired without any notice, it all depends if you want to befriend the MD and play her awful games. My advice would be not to. She makes out she cares about her staff but I’ve never known a boss to be so fake, rude and manipulative.

There is more atmosphere in a morgue than there is in that office. The sales floor is silent. If you are used to a busy environment where you speak to your colleagues and celebrate success, this place isn’t for you. Be prepared to do BD calls in silence. They will tell you throughout the interview process it’s not a KPI driven business, but it is. The pipeline meeting at the start of the week only demotivates you and the MD takes it as an opportunity to attack her staff or slate other competitors. She says she doesn’t speak badly of other agencies in the same sentence however that’s her only chat, it’s so boring.

Advice to Management

The staff turnaround seriously needs to be looked at. Having over 20 people start and finish in one year is nothing to be proud of. Reputation is everything!

Charterhouse Partnership Response

Mar 9, 2019 – Managing Director

Thanks for taking the time to write a review.
    Unfortunately the majority of your review is factually inaccurate and reads like many defamatory reviews across the recruitment industry. Recruitment... More

"Steer Clear"

I worked at Charterhouse Partnership full-time

Pros

Good comms plan, good salary.

Cons

CEO is highly unprofessional and acts like a child/bully in the office.

Advice to Management

Change the toxic culture so you are no longer referred to as Slaughterhouse by pretty much everyone in the market.

3. "Consultant"

I worked at Charterhouse Partnership full-time

Pros

Was a great brand, learnt a lot

Cons

Little structure at the time

"Recruitment Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Charterhouse Partnership full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good commission structure and the firm has some of best consultants in the market. Great boss and working environment.

Cons

Turnover used to be on the high side. It is much better now.

"Poor benefits/commission structure and lack of career progression but some good recruiters there"

Current Employee - Principal in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Principal in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Charterhouse Partnership full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some solid experienced recruiters there
    Collaborative culture between teams
    Promotions for fees earners are based on billings and the process is transparent
    New induction program for junior recruiters covering well the basics of the industry

Cons

Commission scheme is not competitive at all (apart if you bill circa 200k/quarter) - comparison with the other agencies I worked for
    No real career progression - once reaching Senior Principal there is nowhere to go
    Promotion/hiring processes of managers and directors is not transparent and doesn't rely on merit
    Management keep people locked in for visa reasons only
    Overall the management is making a lot of money on the back of employees by having low commission margins and low base salaries

Advice to Management

Make the commission scheme more competitive and don't lie to employees on their visa status

"Ruining lives since the millennium"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Charterhouse Partnership full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fake ‘Pure Blonde’ beers provided - did not know these even existed before the company bought these on work celebration events.

Cons

Leave your soul at the door and please realise the second they secure you a visa you are a slave and their puppet and they are very good at dangling and then cutting these strings. A day in this office makes the Goodfellas seem tame.

Advice to Management

Grow a pair, heart, conscience perhaps. Sole owner that lives in Monaco needs to show his face more than once a year and remember people’s names.

"Consultant"

I have been working at Charterhouse Partnership full-time

Pros

I’ve been with the company for two years so have seen the change from the old to new and it’s all for the good, having worked for a couple of agencies before I’ve got ground to compare. Some pros:
    - People. So many good recruiters and everyone gets along. I could happily talk to every single person in the company and everyone wants their colleagues to succeed, it is like a family and I’ve made some of my best friends over the past couple of years here.
    - I work autonomously and manage my desk how I want, yes there are KPIs which are more guidelines when people are starting a desk but they are realistic and reasonable. Once you’re billing, you get left to it and there is support there if you need it. In comparison to previous companies, I have so much flexibility and I’m treated like an adult. If I have a bad month or quarter I don’t feel as though my job is on the line and I’m given the support and help to get back on track. They see potential in employees and give you time to find your feet- a luxury not a lot of agencies do.
    - CEO and management are approachable and helpful and the HR Manager is amazing, they all want you to succeed and will go over and above to help you in both professional and personal dramas.
    - Incentives and parties. So many incentives, in a high pressure industry it’s so important to celebrate the wins which they do well I’ve been to amazing restaurants, boat parties, not to mention the NYE parties and big billers trips all around the world.
    - Pay for PR regardless of your billings or position-no need to say any more.
    - Changes put in place in the last year are incredible-HR, formalised training, quarterly reviews, 360 feedback, website, branding, new commission structure, and about to have another party to celebrate!

Cons

- There is a bit of negativity at the moment for various reasons which is such a shame, no company is perfect and it’s frustrating when people focus on the minor negatives rather than the long list of positives. One thing I will say is there are so many positive people in the company too, you just don’t hear from them because they are getting on with it, doing their jobs and making money-that’s what we are here for after all!
    - Training was a down point but this has been a major focus of the last year and the formalised training is about to launch.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing it’s all heading in the right direction. I look back 12-18 months and it wasn’t a long term option for me or a lot of others, it’s now a company I’m really proud and excited to be a part of.

"Great people, great company."

I have been working at Charterhouse Partnership full-time

Pros

- Pay for PR regardless of your billings or position-no need to say any more.

"Amazing!!"

Current Employee - Principal Recruitment Consultant in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Principal Recruitment Consultant in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Charterhouse Partnership full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's a very supportive and inclusive line of Directors. The company is really pushing to change and make a positive move forward. New HR is keeping things down pat and takes care of each and every employee. Teams are tight-knit families and you are always valued as an employee.

Cons

Would love more brown sugar in the kitchen!

"Would not recommend"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Charterhouse Partnership full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office location is great with an amazing balcony. Friday drinks are always out and people in the company get involved making it a friendly atmosphere. There's also a decent sized PSA which is good if you are just starting out recruitment or aren't really keen on heaps of BD each day.
    Some really great people work there/used to work there and none of the negative comments are meant to reflect any of them. It's mostly pointed towards management, the CEO and the owner of the company who don't care to change.

Cons

A very KPI driven environment where each consultant is expected to hit the same figures without any thought given to individual desks and how development or underdeveloped they are. Management is promoted based on who is the best biller and not who can be the best manager - this results in teams being led poorly and senior management being too afraid of loosing a high biller to step in. I've also been a number of cases where employees are bullied endlessly and nothing is done about it.
    The culture breeds an environment of sexism and sexual harassment. Current employees don't notice it because it's become so ingrained in the culture that vulgar and outright disgusting comments are the norm. This behaviour wouldn't be acceptable in any other organisation that respected their employees; yes there is HR however she has been with the business for a long time in a different capacity so it was more of a title change to claim the company is trying.
    You will have your visa held ransom. You've been warned.
    The new CEO has been an employee at Charterhouse for a while and has talked behind the back of almost each consultant. It's actually dumbfounding to see he was rewarded for his behaviour. He's a classic example of what needs to change in the industry.

Advice to Management

Look. There's really nothing I can say that will change anything. As management reads this, they've talked themselves into thinking I was a terrible employee who didn't bill so my opinion doesn't matter anyway. And that's why Charterhouse will remain the company with the highest turnover in Sydney and the worst reviews on glassdoor.

Advice? Keep doing what you’re doing and pushing the good people out to companies they deserve.