Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services Executive Chef Reviews | Glassdoor

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services CEO  Lisa McEuen
Lisa McEuen
  1. "Chartwells"

Current Employee - Executive Chef in Gillette, WY

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Not the best communication at times

Advice to Management

Focus on your hourly associates

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services2018-10-15

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services Response

November 2, 2018Director of Brand Voice and Digital Strategy

Thanks for leaving us a review and for being part of the team for 8 years. We're glad that you're enjoying your experience with us and that you find opportunities to hone your culinary talent within Chartwells Higher Education. Thanks for being a part of the Chartwells family, we're ...

2. "executive chef"

Former Employee - Executive Chef

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

there is year round employment

Cons

micro managed sales crew promise the world and let the local talent deliver

Advice to Management

let pros do their thing listen to employee input and ideas

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services2017-09-28
  3. "Worst job I have ever had!! Do not work for this company!"

Former Employee - Executive Chef in College Station, TX

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services

Pros

For the most part, I had a good staff. The staff had some morale issues due to low wages and no opportunity for increases. The students were nice.

Cons

The upper management was ignorant and neglectful. A couple of my employees and I were physically and verbally assaulted in my office. In spite of all of the evidence and witnesses to the incident, the management did nothing about the psychopath chef who assaulted us. The result of this was that this company lost several good, hard-working people because they wanted to bury the ugliness of the incident. In addition, the...

Advice to Management

Steve Sweeney needs to re-evaluate the people he trusts to run the business. They are sadly lacking in any kind of work ethic or personal ethics. They do not know anything about managing people.

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services2016-12-06
    • "executive chef"

Former Employee - Executive Chef in Montclair, NJ

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

A very solid background company, great support from the company up line of management

Cons

some managers around campus have a very poor understanding about company lines of conduct.

Advice to Management

no matter how small is the complain, you have to take seriously

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services2016-11-07
    • "Hard to win"

Current Employee - Executive Chef

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Chartwells offers decent manager's pay but with no bonus package and has pretty good benefits with vacation, 401k, insurances, etc.

Cons

Long hours for a salaried manager, hard to make monthly numbers with the set amount of resident dining dollars, crappy recipes from a terrible computer program.

Advice to Management

Negotiate better contracts

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services2016-07-12
    • "Executive Chef"

Current Employee - Executive Chef in Towson, MD

Pros

One of the best company to work for.

Cons

Not much to say. Tough to get skilled employees, due to low salary.

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services2016-02-11

"Executive Chef"

Current Employee - Executive Chef in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Ability to showcase your skills as a chef. Travel to different locations throughout company, if necessary.

Cons

It honestly comes down to the actual account that you are at. Some are fantastic and some are down right awful. Unfortunately, I landed at an account that is not so fantastic. Horrible work ethic from everyone, and no support from corporate because of location of account. Upper management seems to have their favorites and it's obvious. Don't think to look for promotions or advancement. Compass has a hold on...

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter. Not wasting time writing here. "Biggest Food Service Company in the World" wouldn't have time to check a small, measly website like this. Until then, give Compass a try, but be careful with the account you choose. Ask a lot of questions, and make sure your director/upper management are about giving you a good work/life balance.

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services2016-02-09
    • "Just another money hungry, heartless food service company"

Current Employee - Executive Chef in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Connecting with other chefs at other schools Freedom to do what I want on menus

Cons

Zero training They throw tons of online training courses that you have to do. No hands on training whatsoever Trying too much to be like other companies Below average pay/benefits Lack of care for their employees lives

Advice to Management

I could sit here and type a novel but I can't because I am too busy finishing one of my 12 reports due on my day off.

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services2015-06-24
    • "Chartwells at Texas A&M was the worst experience I have suffered in 30 years of work in the food & beverage industry."

Former Employee - Executive Chef in College Station, TX

Pros

The only pro of working there was getting to know the students at Texas A&M. Helping the students was very rewarding.

Cons

Bad upper level management. The upper level managers do not get along with each other, They argue and call each other ugly names in front of the staff and the students. They do not agree on anything. They do no care about providing a good product to the students.

Advice to Management

Replace all of the upper level managers on the Texas A&M campus. They are destroying the reputation of the company. They are also destroying the morale of the hard working employees there.

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services2014-12-11