Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lisa McEuen
1 Rating

Pros
  • fair employment policy, flexible hours (in 14 reviews)

• Great place to work, great people to work withz (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay rate for a position that required an abundance of experience (in 20 reviews)

• Upper management sometimes makes it a very tense place to work (in 16 reviews)

1. "Good introductory job in food service"

Current Employee - Retail Supervisor in Rochester Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Retail Supervisor in Rochester Hills, MI

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow your understanding on food service as a business. You can learn food service basics and get a foundation to food service operations.

Cons

Communication could be improved between upper level management and associates. Many times associates and unit leads do not know what is going on with the company and changes are unexpected.

Advice to Management

Consider views of associates.

2. "I enjoy working for Chartwells"

Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the People are very nice.

Cons

Upper management sometimes makes it a very tense place to work. The turnover rate is very high.

Advice to Management

Make sure to frequently say "thank you" or "job well done" to all employees. A more formal training package about the ins and outs of each position would be very helpful.

3. "Great job, super tiring!"

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in College Station, TX

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly co-workers, fast paced environment, flexible scheduling

Cons

little to no down time

"Busy work, low pay"

Former Employee - Supervisor of Operations in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Supervisor of Operations in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free meals in the dining halls, chefs were awesome to work with.

Cons

Low pay rate for a position that required an abundance of experience. College degree made no bearing on pay rate until I was ready to quit and received a 1.50 raise which still didn't put me in the position to make a decent living. The kitchen and dining hall staff were paid even less. I worked at a university campus. The student workers hired on got more an hour than adult men and women with more experience. They were taken advantage of, some being felons or from lower income areas. Some were terrible workers so the pay rate correlated with the work they gave but some were great people who were underappreciated. I was also a glorified lunch lady not a Supervisor of operations. The only supervisor thing I had to do was make sure everyone took their breaks, find people to cover shifts, put out cash in the morning and count it at night. 99% of the time I was cleaning up after rowdy college kids and making sure the yogurt and waffle maker were filled.

Advice to Management

Appreciate staff, don't lowball them and offer college kids living in the dorms a better wage. Understand frustrations from supervisors. Know when someone is over qualified for something and don't hire them on for a job anyone could do.

"Delivery driver"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Kaukauna, WI
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Kaukauna, WI

Pros

The hours are nice
    Time off the same as the students

Cons

Management is poor
    Employees are always yelling you
    All stuck in their ways
    Pay sucks
    Demanding employees

Advice to Management

Show up and talk with driver if any problems
    Pay a bit more

"Cook"

Former Employee - Cook in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Cook in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had fun with the co workers I had. Could decide if I wanted to show up to worm or not. While I worked there some of the college student constantly no called no showed on an average basis and were never penalized. Free food for lunch. Great job for slackers.

Cons

Almost always under staffed Refused to take action on known problem causing supervisors, a supervisor responsible for multiple people quiting, and slack while nagging everyone else. Management doesnt care too much about you. If you are good ina spot like slaving over the hottest biggest grill all day with barely a break, dont expect to ever leave that spot because they will be unwilling to train or put anyone in that spot regardless of health. You can look near death from dehydration and exhaustion but dont expect them to move you , ask you how you are are replace you. Basically slave workers. Takes forever for boss to put anything into motion. Going full time took a month to get finalized. Scheduling is terrible. They hear you ask days off or notify of appointment, but they don't listen. I had to be constantly on top of my boss if I had a day I wanted off. Terrible job for hard working people who almost always put 110% into their work. Only real punishment for absence is ineligible for a raise. Excused doctors notes and medical related also effect this. So if you work hard yet have a bad month of sickness dont expect them to look at your work performance. Overall bad company to work for long term.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees. Offer competitive pay, if you are seen working hard while others stand around and talk tou should be rewarded. Stick to your rules. Half of my coworkers should have been fired for being late, eating on the job, no call no shows, disobedience, leaving the job clocked in (going to the store and coming back), drug abuse on the clock and a few other against policy actions that aren't held up. This company need some serious reworking and fixing. I was better taken care of at SeaWorld and Six Flags. Maybe learn to run chartwells more like some of the other companies owned by compass group. I worked at the at&t center once and it was completely different. Much much more professional. With the fact you have student hires it can't hurt to teach those kids job responsibility.

8. "Good company"

Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I thought my managers were excellent and attentive to employee concerns

Cons

The pay could have been better, however, it was expected given my postion

Advice to Management

Continue to strive for open ears when listening to employee concerns and ideas

9. "unorganized"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services (More than a year)

Pros

nice co workers
    easy work
    nice to be around children

Cons

bad managers
    short shifts
    super low pay
    unorganized
    worst job to have

Advice to Management

get better managers

10. "Poor management"

Former Employee - Cook in Spring Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Cook in Spring Arbor, MI

Pros

This company does a great job at trying to keep food up to health code standards. They also are good at diversifying their menus.

Cons

The management was terrible. Nobody was communicating well at all. Most of the time, managers would just sit in the office and browse social media while everyone else worked in the kitchen.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of confrontation. When employees step out of line, there should actually be some consequences. Letting everyone do their own thing is uninformed and week.

11. "Stident Manager"

Former Employee - Student Manager in Winona, MN
    Former Employee - Student Manager in Winona, MN

Pros

Easy to Operate. Flexible time scedule.

Cons

Really difficult to get hired. Opartion strategies.