Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services CEO Lisa McEuen
Lisa McEuen
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • fair employment policy, flexible hours (in 14 reviews)

• Great place to work, great people to work withz (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay rate for a position that required an abundance of experience (in 20 reviews)

• Upper management sometimes makes it a very tense place to work (in 18 reviews)

1. "Better at Corporate"

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time

Pros

Field locations are fun and interesting

Cons

Horrible culture. Can be really elitist, menacing, and racist to other managers and employees. One manager referred to employees and students as monkeys regularly.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to tactics used in the fields. Everyone isn't as happy as they seem on your visits.

2. "Director of Catering"

Former Employee - Director of Cater in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Director of Cater in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working with the clients. I prepared menus, set up design, and execution of events. I was responsible for managing serveral servers.

Cons

Upper Management was very demanding and under appreciating. I was underpaid and overworked. I was not given the proper staff and expected to work several large events by myself.

Advice to Management

I think that having a supportive crew is the best way to run a successful business. Great communication is a key factor. Also, having a clear understanding of everyone's tasks and expectations is very important. Not only knowing your staff, understanding your clientele and their needs and visions are a must.

3. "Poor Management"

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time

Pros

Great coworkers
    Good benefits
    Easy Hire In Process
    Great Training

Cons

Bad Managers
    Hard to move Up
    Favoritism

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and give advancements to the ones that bust there behinds on a daily basis...

4. "upper management sucks- only care for themselves"

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time

Pros

Full time, free lunch

Cons

overworked, not paid enough, pressure to make more, unerstaffed

Advice to Management

Pay your managers in all locations more money

5. "If you want to be thrown away..."

Former Employee - Accountant in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

if you actually become a salaried employee, benefits are pretty good

Cons

politics are so thick, it feels like high school in beverly hills. in the two years i worked with this company i experienced heavy doses of racism and sexism. if you are only an hourly employee, you will be treated like you don't matter.

Advice to Management

get off your thrown... you're only selling hot dogs, you not saving the world!

6. "cook"

Pros

worst place ever full of discrimintaion

Cons

full of discrimination not a good place

"Delivery driver"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Kaukauna, WI
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Kaukauna, WI

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours are nice
    Time off the same as the students

Cons

Management is poor
    Employees are always yelling you
    All stuck in their ways
    Pay sucks
    Demanding employees

Advice to Management

Show up and talk with driver if any problems
    Pay a bit more

"Cook"

Former Employee - Cook in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Cook in San Marcos, TX

Pros

Had fun with the co workers I had. Could decide if I wanted to show up to worm or not. While I worked there some of the college student constantly no called no showed on an average basis and were never penalized. Free food for lunch. Great job for slackers.

Cons

Almost always under staffed Refused to take action on known problem causing supervisors, a supervisor responsible for multiple people quiting, and slack while nagging everyone else. Management doesnt care too much about you. If you are good ina spot like slaving over the hottest biggest grill all day with barely a break, dont expect to ever leave that spot because they will be unwilling to train or put anyone in that spot regardless of health. You can look near death from dehydration and exhaustion but dont expect them to move you , ask you how you are are replace you. Basically slave workers. Takes forever for boss to put anything into motion. Going full time took a month to get finalized. Scheduling is terrible. They hear you ask days off or notify of appointment, but they don't listen. I had to be constantly on top of my boss if I had a day I wanted off. Terrible job for hard working people who almost always put 110% into their work. Only real punishment for absence is ineligible for a raise. Excused doctors notes and medical related also effect this. So if you work hard yet have a bad month of sickness dont expect them to look at your work performance. Overall bad company to work for long term.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees. Offer competitive pay, if you are seen working hard while others stand around and talk tou should be rewarded. Stick to your rules. Half of my coworkers should have been fired for being late, eating on the job, no call no shows, disobedience, leaving the job clocked in (going to the store and coming back), drug abuse on the clock and a few other against policy actions that aren't held up. This company need some serious reworking and fixing. I was better taken care of at SeaWorld and Six Flags. Maybe learn to run chartwells more like some of the other companies owned by compass group. I worked at the at&t center once and it was completely different. Much much more professional. With the fact you have student hires it can't hurt to teach those kids job responsibility.

9. "unorganized"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services (More than a year)

Pros

nice co workers
    easy work
    nice to be around children

Cons

bad managers
    short shifts
    super low pay
    unorganized
    worst job to have

Advice to Management

get better managers

10. "Poor management"

Former Employee - Cook in Spring Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Cook in Spring Arbor, MI

Pros

This company does a great job at trying to keep food up to health code standards. They also are good at diversifying their menus.

Cons

The management was terrible. Nobody was communicating well at all. Most of the time, managers would just sit in the office and browse social media while everyone else worked in the kitchen.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of confrontation. When employees step out of line, there should actually be some consequences. Letting everyone do their own thing is uninformed and week.