Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 17, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lisa McEuen

Pros
  • fair employment policy, flexible hours (in 14 reviews)

• Great place to work, great people to work withz (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay rate for a position that required an abundance of experience (in 20 reviews)

• Upper management sometimes makes it a very tense place to work (in 16 reviews)

1. "cook"

Current Employee - Cook in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Cook in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people you work with and meet.I love my job.I am the breakfast cook and I am good at what I do.

Cons

Too many breaks.Im on a two month break and I need to pay my bills so this is Unexceptable.Its the longest break i've had since I've been with the company and I've worked over 15 years for the company.

Advice to Management

Be fair to the employees that have been there for and does excellent work for the company.Please work on how you treat your employees.I feel the prejudice in this company.Expecially when the head chef brings back in 2 weeks all the employees he has hired from a previous job he worked at.

2. "Low pay for amount of responsibity & work."

Former Employee - Supervisor in Shippensburg, PA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Shippensburg, PA

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with. You will never be bored.

Cons

The hours were long & catering would add a couple of hours to your shift with short notice. Never got to take my breaks. Would get interrupted on lunch break.

Advice to Management

Give your Supervisors the break they need. Give them more help( employees.)

"Busy work, low pay"

Former Employee - Supervisor of Operations in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Supervisor of Operations in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Free meals in the dining halls, chefs were awesome to work with.

Cons

Low pay rate for a position that required an abundance of experience. College degree made no bearing on pay rate until I was ready to quit and received a 1.50 raise which still didn't put me in the position to make a decent living. The kitchen and dining hall staff were paid even less. I worked at a university campus. The student workers hired on got more an hour than adult men and women with more experience. They were taken advantage of, some being felons or from lower income areas. Some were terrible workers so the pay rate correlated with the work they gave but some were great people who were underappreciated. I was also a glorified lunch lady not a Supervisor of operations. The only supervisor thing I had to do was make sure everyone took their breaks, find people to cover shifts, put out cash in the morning and count it at night. 99% of the time I was cleaning up after rowdy college kids and making sure the yogurt and waffle maker were filled.

Advice to Management

Appreciate staff, don't lowball them and offer college kids living in the dorms a better wage. Understand frustrations from supervisors. Know when someone is over qualified for something and don't hire them on for a job anyone could do.

5. "Payment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, KY

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services (More than a year)

Pros

They definitely work with your class schedule and they're willing to accommodate.

Cons

Management doesn't always show appreciation to employees. Sometimes, they are inconsiderate.

Advice to Management

Be better at showing appreciation for employees. Pay more than minimum wage.

6. "Bad Environment"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to get promoted to Supervisor or Lead for experience
    Good for students

Cons

Bad social and emotional environment - constant lies and gossip
    You have to step on people to move up in the business
    Don't give you honest feedback to work on
    Minimum Wage
    Minimum raises

Advice to Management

Give honest feedback more often instead of just talking behind people's backs

"Server/utility"

Former Employee - Food Service Worker in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Food Service Worker in College Station, TX

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time

Pros

Met some great hardworking people. Talking to the students and helping them with their college experience. Fun and fast paced environment.

Cons

Long hours, low pay. Management was always changing the rules. It's just a college student job. I stayed for a year and a half then left because it was hard to get time off. Lots of lazy unmotivated workers.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate one common objective to workers instead of changing things all the time. Treat your workers better.

8. "Horrible experience"

Former Employee - Custodian in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Custodian in College Station, TX

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work in itself is okay. Students can be kind. Those are really the only pros that i cam think of.

Cons

Horrible management
    Drama-filled place
    The amount of work you do and chances on promotion and growth is based solely on personal relationships.

9. "Sweaty, no training, lies, and low pay await you at a job where you will not be appreciated."

Former Employee - Food Service Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Food Service Manager in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

The hours you work during school hours and so you only work 9 month and have weekends and holidays off. The kids and the staff at the schools are amazing.

Cons

For a manager role the pay is iOS under 10.00 an hour on Florida, no training, throw you into school and expect you to do well with not enough product that you can't order because you don't have codes. There is no air or heating in some of the schools and the benefits are not that great.

Advice to Management

Train your staff don't say then up for failure, listen to employees there is a reason there is a high turnover rate, and pay more you get paid more to work at fast good restaurant then you do to lead a school cafe.

10. "lead supervisor"

Current Employee - Lead Supervisor in Shawnee, OK
    Current Employee - Lead Supervisor in Shawnee, OK

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to transfer where you want.

Cons

No training programs. No food safety training for new hires. No continuous training programs of any kind. Everyone left to their own devices. It's a free for all at my location. Our upper management looks the other way a lot. Lots of favoritism. An attitude of indifference permeates my location.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to work side by side with employees rather than sit in the office all day! Hold everyone up to the same standards.

11. "Money corrupt"

Current Employee - Barista in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Barista in Pensacola, FL

Pros

Reasonable pay for first time jobs.

Decent coworkers.

Lunch.

Cons

This is the one of the most money thirsty companies I have ever seen. They nickle and dime everything. They installed cameras insinuating employees were theives. They teach employees to mistreat those below them. No one higher up respects anyone below them. Lunches are expired foods. No discount for work. Pay is sometimes late. Schedule doesn't come out until next day.

Advice to Management

TREAT YOUR EMPLOYEES WITH SOME DECENCY AND LISTEN TO CUSTOMER AND EMPLOYEE COMPLAINTS!!!