Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services Reviews

Updated May 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • fair employment policy, flexible hours (in 14 reviews)

• Great place to work, great people to work withz (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay rate for a position that required an abundance of experience (in 21 reviews)

• Upper management sometimes makes it a very tense place to work (in 16 reviews)

"Cook"

Former Employee - Cook in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Cook in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had fun with the co workers I had. Could decide if I wanted to show up to worm or not. While I worked there some of the college student constantly no called no showed on an average basis and were never penalized. Free food for lunch. Great job for slackers.

Cons

Almost always under staffed Refused to take action on known problem causing supervisors, a supervisor responsible for multiple people quiting, and slack while nagging everyone else. Management doesnt care too much about you. If you are good ina spot like slaving over the hottest biggest grill all day with barely a break, dont expect to ever leave that spot because they will be unwilling to train or put anyone in that spot regardless of health. You can look near death from dehydration and exhaustion but dont expect them to move you , ask you how you are are replace you. Basically slave workers. Takes forever for boss to put anything into motion. Going full time took a month to get finalized. Scheduling is terrible. They hear you ask days off or notify of appointment, but they don't listen. I had to be constantly on top of my boss if I had a day I wanted off. Terrible job for hard working people who almost always put 110% into their work. Only real punishment for absence is ineligible for a raise. Excused doctors notes and medical related also effect this. So if you work hard yet have a bad month of sickness dont expect them to look at your work performance. Overall bad company to work for long term.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees. Offer competitive pay, if you are seen working hard while others stand around and talk tou should be rewarded. Stick to your rules. Half of my coworkers should have been fired for being late, eating on the job, no call no shows, disobedience, leaving the job clocked in (going to the store and coming back), drug abuse on the clock and a few other against policy actions that aren't held up. This company need some serious reworking and fixing. I was better taken care of at SeaWorld and Six Flags. Maybe learn to run chartwells more like some of the other companies owned by compass group. I worked at the at&t center once and it was completely different. Much much more professional. With the fact you have student hires it can't hurt to teach those kids job responsibility.

2. "Good company"

Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I thought my managers were excellent and attentive to employee concerns

Cons

The pay could have been better, however, it was expected given my postion

Advice to Management

Continue to strive for open ears when listening to employee concerns and ideas

3. "unorganized"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services (More than a year)

Pros

nice co workers
    easy work
    nice to be around children

Cons

bad managers
    short shifts
    super low pay
    unorganized
    worst job to have

Advice to Management

get better managers

5. "Stident Manager"

Former Employee - Student Manager in Winona, MN
    Former Employee - Student Manager in Winona, MN

Pros

Easy to Operate. Flexible time scedule.

Cons

Really difficult to get hired. Opartion strategies.

6. "Poor management"

Former Employee - Cook in Spring Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Cook in Spring Arbor, MI

Pros

This company does a great job at trying to keep food up to health code standards. They also are good at diversifying their menus.

Cons

The management was terrible. Nobody was communicating well at all. Most of the time, managers would just sit in the office and browse social media while everyone else worked in the kitchen.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of confrontation. When employees step out of line, there should actually be some consequences. Letting everyone do their own thing is uninformed and week.

7. "College student/Part-time worker"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Bluffton, SC
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Bluffton, SC

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible hours, understanding about school schedules, make friends your age, free meals.

Cons

Poor management, many employees quit because of overworking and the company abusing its employees, often asked to do things not within your job duties, a lot of cleaning, extreme unfairness between employees

Advice to Management

Hire more people so that when others cannot work, there is a backup, not forced work.

8. "Good"

Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, great people to work withz

Cons

Pay is low for the amount of work.

9. "Do not work here"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL

Pros

Met good people. The more responsibilities the more experience and independence you gain.

Cons

Upper management was poor and barely took any action to help out the supervisors. Majority of staff was rude and lazy and there was no disciplinary action taken over by upper management which made the job even more frustrating.

Advice to Management

Better hiring process and be more hands on to actually support those who want to grow with the company.

10. "I enjoyed my time!"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Lakeland, FL

Pros

Great people and fun job!

Cons

not much pay for management

11. "Payment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, KY

Pros

They definitely work with your class schedule and they're willing to accommodate.

Cons

Management doesn't always show appreciation to employees. Sometimes, they are inconsiderate.

Advice to Management

Be better at showing appreciation for employees. Pay more than minimum wage.