Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Found 495 reviews

3.2
Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services CEO  Lisa McEuen
Lisa McEuen
Pros
  • "It was a very easy job to attain that had flexible hours to work around my classes(in 19 reviews)

• "Free Food, Flexible and everything else is dependent on your boss(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay rate for a position that required an abundance of experience(in 27 reviews)

• "Things are not always organized, Upper management takes a long time on decision making(in 23 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"My review"

Current Employee - Lead Baker in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Opportunity to move up if you want

Cons

Terrible upper management. No training protocol when moved to a new location or job with in company. No transparency. High turnover in employees

Advice to Management

Care about your people who work for you. They are the ones who make you money.

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services2018-05-21
  2. "Manager"

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time

Pros

Decent benefits, great customers awful upper management

Cons

Upper management is very degrading and disrespectful to all lower level employees. If you aren’t in the click they make you feel very inadequate. They do not base promotions in experience but on if you fit with them. It’s a very sad situation and continues to get worse. No life work balance

Advice to Management

Get it together treat everyone with respect.

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services2018-05-25
  3. "lol "compensation""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services part-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Decent school job. My boss and my co-workers were the best part about it.

Cons

Upper management exploits the hourly employees to a ridiculous amount. They (he) doesn't care what you've done, how long you've been there, he's just trying to save as many pennies as possible so he gets a bonus. They work you to the bone and don't show you any sort of appreciation.

Advice to Management

Give the workers some dignifying compensation.

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services2017-08-17
  4. "Director of Catering"

Former Employee - Director of Cater in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

I enjoyed working with the clients. I prepared menus, set up design, and execution of events. I was responsible for managing serveral servers.

Cons

Upper Management was very demanding and under appreciating. I was underpaid and overworked. I was not given the proper staff and expected to work several large events by myself.

Advice to Management

I think that having a supportive crew is the best way to run a successful business. Great communication is a key factor. Also, having a clear understanding of everyone's tasks and expectations is very important. Not only knowing your staff, understanding your clientele and their needs and visions are a must.

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services2017-08-31
  5. "I enjoy working for Chartwells"

Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the People are very nice.

Cons

Upper management sometimes makes it a very tense place to work. The turnover rate is very high.

Advice to Management

Make sure to frequently say "thank you" or "job well done" to all employees. A more formal training package about the ins and outs of each position would be very helpful.

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services2017-03-02
  6. "Do not work here"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Met good people. The more responsibilities the more experience and independence you gain.

Cons

Upper management was poor and barely took any action to help out the supervisors. Majority of staff was rude and lazy and there was no disciplinary action taken over by upper management which made the job even more frustrating.

Advice to Management

Better hiring process and be more hands on to actually support those who want to grow with the company.

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services2017-01-09
  7. "review"

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services

Pros

lots of locations, pretty logo

Cons

poorly trained upper management, would rather keep you in a place to satisfy client instead of rewarding you for your good work - very limiting

Advice to Management

Get educated and take care of your peopl

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services2016-12-16
  8. "Worst job I have ever had!! Do not work for this company!"

Former Employee - Executive Chef in College Station, TX

I worked at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services

Pros

For the most part, I had a good staff. The staff had some morale issues due to low wages and no opportunity for increases. The students were nice.

Cons

The upper management was ignorant and neglectful. A couple of my employees and I were physically and verbally assaulted in my office. In spite of all of the evidence and witnesses to the incident, the management did nothing about the psychopath chef who assaulted us. The result of this was that this company lost several good, hard-working people because they wanted to bury the...

Advice to Management

Steve Sweeney needs to re-evaluate the people he trusts to run the business. They are sadly lacking in any kind of work ethic or personal ethics. They do not know anything about managing people.

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services2016-12-06
    • "Good and bad"

I have been working at Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services

Pros

Working with students and different personalities and a fast paced environment. Multi cultural work environment. I've met a few great people I'll never forget.

Cons

Unappreciated. overworked, poor recognition,Low salary, poor raises, upper management only worried about bonuses, heartless company, crazy healthcare increases, long hours, no support from upper management, Slow vacation accrual.

Advice to Management

Pay your managers a competitive salary and pay male and female managers equal based on experience, skills and seniority.

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services2016-09-29
      • "cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier

Pros

I worked at a restaurant owned by Chartwells on my college campus. It was a very convenient and very fun job. Management was more than willing to work around my class schedule at the time.

Cons

Upper management was a bit of a pain to work with.

Chartwells Higher Education Dining Services2016-08-08