Chartwells Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 9, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve Sweeney

Pros
  • fair employment policy, flexible hours (in 14 reviews)

• Great place to work, great people to work withz (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay rate for a position that required an abundance of experience (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management was a bit of a pain to work with (in 15 reviews)

1. "Cook"

Former Employee - Cook in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Cook in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Chartwells full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had fun with the co workers I had. Could decide if I wanted to show up to worm or not. While I worked there some of the college student constantly no called no showed on an average basis and were never penalized. Free food for lunch. Great job for slackers.

Cons

Almost always under staffed Refused to take action on known problem causing supervisors, a supervisor responsible for multiple people quiting, and slack while nagging everyone else. Management doesnt care too much about you. If you are good ina spot like slaving over the hottest biggest grill all day with barely a break, dont expect to ever leave that spot because they will be unwilling to train or put anyone in that spot regardless of health. You can look near death from dehydration and exhaustion but dont expect them to move you , ask you how you are are replace you. Basically slave workers. Takes forever for boss to put anything into motion. Going full time took a month to get finalized. Scheduling is terrible. They hear you ask days off or notify of appointment, but they don't listen. I had to be constantly on top of my boss if I had a day I wanted off. Terrible job for hard working people who almost always put 110% into their work. Only real punishment for absence is ineligible for a raise. Excused doctors notes and medical related also effect this. So if you work hard yet have a bad month of sickness dont expect them to look at your work performance. Overall bad company to work for long term.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees. Offer competitive pay, if you are seen working hard while others stand around and talk tou should be rewarded. Stick to your rules. Half of my coworkers should have been fired for being late, eating on the job, no call no shows, disobedience, leaving the job clocked in (going to the store and coming back), drug abuse on the clock and a few other against policy actions that aren't held up. This company need some serious reworking and fixing. I was better taken care of at SeaWorld and Six Flags. Maybe learn to run chartwells more like some of the other companies owned by compass group. I worked at the at&t center once and it was completely different. Much much more professional. With the fact you have student hires it can't hurt to teach those kids job responsibility.

2. "unorganized"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Chartwells (More than a year)

Pros

nice co workers
    easy work
    nice to be around children

Cons

bad managers
    short shifts
    super low pay
    unorganized
    worst job to have

Advice to Management

get better managers

3. "Poor management"

Former Employee - Cook in Spring Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Cook in Spring Arbor, MI

I worked at Chartwells full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company does a great job at trying to keep food up to health code standards. They also are good at diversifying their menus.

Cons

The management was terrible. Nobody was communicating well at all. Most of the time, managers would just sit in the office and browse social media while everyone else worked in the kitchen.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of confrontation. When employees step out of line, there should actually be some consequences. Letting everyone do their own thing is uninformed and week.

5. "Do not work here"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chartwells full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met good people. The more responsibilities the more experience and independence you gain.

Cons

Upper management was poor and barely took any action to help out the supervisors. Majority of staff was rude and lazy and there was no disciplinary action taken over by upper management which made the job even more frustrating.

Advice to Management

Better hiring process and be more hands on to actually support those who want to grow with the company.

6. "review"

Pros

lots of locations, pretty logo

Cons

poorly trained upper management, would rather keep you in a place to satisfy client instead of rewarding you for your good work - very limiting

Advice to Management

Get educated and take care of your peopl

7. "Worst job I have ever had!! Do not work for this company!"

Former Employee - Executive Chef in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Chef in College Station, TX

Pros

For the most part, I had a good staff. The staff had some morale issues due to low wages and no opportunity for increases. The students were nice.

Cons

The upper management was ignorant and neglectful. A couple of my employees and I were physically and verbally assaulted in my office. In spite of all of the evidence and witnesses to the incident, the management did nothing about the psychopath chef who assaulted us. The result of this was that this company lost several good, hard-working people because they wanted to bury the ugliness of the incident. In addition, the upper management provided absolutely NO support to the front line staff. I worked for 7 months straight without a single day off - in at 5am and not out until 8 or 9 pm. At one point, I was sick and lost my voice. I left work, leaving my assistant manager in charge, so I could go get some medicine. I was at the clinic across the street from the dining hall for 30 minutes - got a shot, filled a prescription and was back to work. As I was walking in, my boss started screaming at me about leaving work - he was cussing like a crazy person. Again, upper management did nothing about this kind of abuse.

Advice to Management

Steve Sweeney needs to re-evaluate the people he trusts to run the business. They are sadly lacking in any kind of work ethic or personal ethics. They do not know anything about managing people.

8. "Supervisor"

I have been working at Chartwells full-time

Pros

Fun environment to be in. You meet alot of great people

Cons

The job does not pay enough for the duties required

9. "marketing"

Pros

the college is appreciative of the staff when the company does not recognize them

Cons

unpaid managers, lack of direction, lack of ability to move up in the company

10. "Food service"

Pros

Coworkers, students, staff and teachers

Cons

Awful management
    Disorganized
    Lackey of support

11. "Do not work here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

Pros

Job on campus so location convenient for students.

Cons

Everything else. Management exploits workers by running a less than skeleton crew at the busiest times of the semester. Can't trust agreed upon scheduling since extreme lack of personnel causes double and even triple duty expectations that can't be met in a reasonable amount of time.

Advice to Management

Management is not interested in actually addressing the issues so no point in wasting time offering advice.