Chartwells Reviews | Glassdoor

Chartwells Reviews

Updated February 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • fair employment policy, flexible hours (in 14 reviews)

• Great place to work, great people to work withz (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay rate for a position that required an abundance of experience (in 20 reviews)

• Upper management was a bit of a pain to work with (in 15 reviews)

1. "Payment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Covington, KY

I have been working at Chartwells (More than a year)

Pros

They definitely work with your class schedule and they're willing to accommodate.

Cons

Management doesn't always show appreciation to employees. Sometimes, they are inconsiderate.

Advice to Management

Be better at showing appreciation for employees. Pay more than minimum wage.

2. "Great place to work on campus"

I worked at Chartwells part-time

Pros

Flexible work hours
    Great management
    Free food
    excellent place to work

Cons

It can you really stressed when its busy

Advice to Management

Keep it up

3. "Pretty good"

Former Employee - Food Service Worker/Cashier in Fairbanks, AK
    Former Employee - Food Service Worker/Cashier in Fairbanks, AK

I worked at Chartwells part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at the convenience store on campus while a full time university student. They were super flexible with schedule, especially as finals & breaks came up. Management was generally relaxed, understanding, pretty fun. I liked that my co-workers and I could switch up positions (cashier, barista, stocking, food prep, etc) as we liked to keep variety. One of the least stressful jobs I've worked, & probably could have moved up to shift lead easily if I wasn't graduating that year. They also made it clear that if you are in good standing with the company, you will always have opportunities with them after leaving your current position.

Cons

Sometimes it seemed a little too relaxed (slacking coworkers were rarely reprimanded & others had to pick up their slack). At other times, it was weirdly corporate feeling...lots of checklists, required meetings, etc., that didn't always feel necessary.

5. "review"

Pros

lots of locations, pretty logo

Cons

poorly trained upper management, would rather keep you in a place to satisfy client instead of rewarding you for your good work - very limiting

Advice to Management

Get educated and take care of your peopl

6. "executive chef"

Former Employee - Executive Chef in Montclair, NJ
    Former Employee - Executive Chef in Montclair, NJ

I worked at Chartwells full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A very solid background company, great support from the company up line of management

Cons

some managers around campus have a very poor understanding about company lines of conduct.

Advice to Management

no matter how small is the complain, you have to take seriously

7. "Line Cook"

Former Employee - Line Cook in Bowling Green, OH
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Bowling Green, OH

I worked at Chartwells full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people. You'll meet people from all walks of life. Learning is encouraged and in fact most often you'll have paid days where you learn to do new things. Flexible hours.

Cons

There is a slow climb to reach decent pay especially for students. Also very strict policies in some respects.

8. "Constantly changing environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowling Green, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowling Green, OH

I have been working at Chartwells full-time

Pros

The people you work with on a daily basis will keep you moving forward, and there's always something new coming up. Innovation is encouraged, which allows you to take ownership of your own projects.

Cons

Some managers only care about the financial resources. Working in operations, the pay scale is entirely less than desirable for attracting and retaining talent. This is often based on goals from managers and directors: to do more with less, year over year, every year, even when it's not feasible.

Advice to Management

Add an incentive program for the unit managers who actually hit P&L targets. A pat on the back is nice, but a financial reward has become an industry standard where we fall short. Also, you burn your managers out when they work 70+ hours per week. Keep it manageable, we'd like to have lives outside of our jobs, too.

9. "Worst job I have ever had!! Do not work for this company!"

Former Employee - Executive Chef in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Chef in College Station, TX

Pros

For the most part, I had a good staff. The staff had some morale issues due to low wages and no opportunity for increases. The students were nice.

Cons

The upper management was ignorant and neglectful. A couple of my employees and I were physically and verbally assaulted in my office. In spite of all of the evidence and witnesses to the incident, the management did nothing about the psychopath chef who assaulted us. The result of this was that this company lost several good, hard-working people because they wanted to bury the ugliness of the incident. In addition, the upper management provided absolutely NO support to the front line staff. I worked for 7 months straight without a single day off - in at 5am and not out until 8 or 9 pm. At one point, I was sick and lost my voice. I left work, leaving my assistant manager in charge, so I could go get some medicine. I was at the clinic across the street from the dining hall for 30 minutes - got a shot, filled a prescription and was back to work. As I was walking in, my boss started screaming at me about leaving work - he was cussing like a crazy person. Again, upper management did nothing about this kind of abuse.

Advice to Management

Steve Sweeney needs to re-evaluate the people he trusts to run the business. They are sadly lacking in any kind of work ethic or personal ethics. They do not know anything about managing people.

10. "Supervisor"

I have been working at Chartwells full-time

Pros

Fun environment to be in. You meet alot of great people

Cons

The job does not pay enough for the duties required

11. "Caribou worker"

Pros

You receive free meals before or after your shift. You also get a free meal on your break and you don't have to punch out for 15 min breaks. Most shifts are 4 hours

Cons

Being that it's a work study job you don't get paid a significant amount of money ... Typically minimum wage