Chase Brexton Health Care Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Patrick Mutch

Pros
Cons
  • Senior Leadership team is not a team but tyrants (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management in positions not deserving not have the skills to be a manager (in 6 reviews)

1. "Positive change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Chase Brexton Health Care full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission and values of the organization. Really great co-workers for the most part. New CEO and COO. Both seem to understand how to bring positive change to the organization. (Glassdoor - Please update the name of the CEO to the current name - Patrick Mutch.)

Cons

Communication is improving but still not where it needs to be. The union by far is the biggest problem. I don't have much interaction with the HR Department but I've heard rumblings of problems there. The I.T. Department is often not responsive in a timely manner to problems. However, that's been my experience at other organizations.

Advice to Management

Although many that voted for the unionization last year have since left (of their own accord), please continue work hard to get a contract in place but don't cave to any ridiculous demands.

2. "Positive change happening"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Chase Brexton Health Care full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Serving the underserved in our communities. Overall, wonderfully devoted co-workers. Now under the leadership of a new CEO and a new COO. Both seem dedicated to bringing positive change to the organization. Benefits are between okay and good but I think they could be better. I try to stay mindful that as an FQHC, it is a non-profit organization with limitations on spending. I love my interactions with patients and staff. I feel proud to say that I work at Chase Brexton.

Cons

The union. Some employees reacted without thinking of the implications. Since the vote to unionize a portion of the employee population, many of those who voted have left leaving the mess behind them. If I am ever forced to join the union, I will leave the organization.

Advice to Management

In the short time of new "C-suite" management coming on board, I am already seeing positive change. There is lots more to be done but I am feeling hopeful which is something that I have not felt there in a very long time. Please don't lose your focus. The name of the current CEO is not listed. I won't rate the prior CEO but will give the current one a "thumbs up" rating.

"Loss of job integrity, increased staff burnout and decreased staff retention"

Current Employee - Behavioral Health Consultant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Behavioral Health Consultant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Chase Brexton Health Care full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The agency attracts highly qualified compassionate providers. The union was voted in almost unanimously by medical ,dental, and behavioral health providers. Unionization is now the viable way for us to regain our voice at the table when advocating for our patients. Providers welcome the understanding of this of the many new providers who have replaced a large group of amazing clinicians who left.

Cons

Clinicians are allied with patients at the front lines but have somehow lost the opportunity to have a voice in the structure and content of their work environments. Management drives disunity and wants to remain authoritarian.

Advice to Management

We are in crisis and we need change now.

"Change is in the wind"

Current Employee - CMOD in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - CMOD in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Chase Brexton Health Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Provide excellent healthcare to our patients, decent pay, comfortable place to work, leadership is changing

Cons

Unionized Providers!!!! They feel that they are better than everyone else!

Advice to Management

Since you can't get rid of the old Chase Brexton core that decided to unionize, get rid of those individuals so that those of us who were hired after the vote, can get rid of the union. It is unnecessary evil, especially SEIU! I work hard for my dollars, should not have to pay a union. Also, we now have, it seems, a great new CEO in place and a COO who has FQHC experience and is a nurse, what what! I believe that things are about to get much better - but only if the union goes!

"Totalitarian Leadership has Ruined Chase Brexton"

Current Employee - Clinical in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Clinical in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Chase Brexton Health Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful patients and amazing, dedicated clinicians.

Cons

The CEO, Senior Leadership Team and the Board are SO FAR removed from what their employees actually do for them on a day to day basis that they continue to make terrible decisions and put profit before patient care. They view the clinicians as lazy, whiny, and don't take the effort to highlight their extremely talented delivery of care. You have an HR department that bows down to the CEO's directions and ignores employees, a completely absent Board of Directors who also bows down to the CEO regardless of what he does (like fire five managers in an attempt to interrupt union organizing), and an overall lack of genuine interest in knowing the employees who aren't in the 2nd floor administrative cubicles.

Advice to Management

FIRE THE CEO, REVAMP YOUR ENTIRE BOARD, GET AHEAD OF THE HEALTHCARE GRIND BY GENUINELY VALUING YOUR EMPLOYEES WHO PROVIDE DIRECT PATIENT CARE! REDUCE YOUR ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF AND THE BONUSES YOU PAY YOUR SENIOR LEADERSHIP TEAM!

"Administrative"

Former Employee - Administrative in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Administrative in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Chase Brexton Health Care full-time

Pros

Parking, excel training, employee luncheons. Great place for those with infectious diseases and the lgbt community.

Cons

Managers are the worst. I have seen employees in tears at times because of the way thay they were treated. Be careful not take a long bath room breaks because individuals who arent your manager may tell on you. There are alot of eyes watching you period so be on your best behavior or, you will be pulled into one of the talking rooms to be written up! Wasnt a great experience working here at all. Many of the employees on the 2nd floor were rude and unprofessional. You speak to people and they act as if you are a ghost. I could name drop but that was done during my exit interview. There are plenty of reviews on here where individuals seem to be upset about the negative things being said. Even management at CBHS are aware of these negative reviews. Unfortunatley, it is all facts obviously! Work at the Mt.Vernon location if you want, you'll be ready to resign just like everyone else.

Advice to Management

You all lack professionalism...

"Disappointing!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Chase Brexton Health Care (More than 5 years)

Pros

Had fabulous supervision at CBHS

Cons

Once the new CEO came in the whole center started sinking!
    I was an employee hired in 2006. I enjoyed my job and felt like I was doing good work for the community. One day in 2014 I was called into a room with 30 + people and told we were no longer needed at Chase Brexton and our things would be mailed to us and they walked us out a back door of the building. Horrific!! Shame on you CBHS! Cause it kept getting worse after we left for other employees as well!!!!!!!!!

"Declined from a great place due to poor management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Dedicated and talented staff with many leaders in their fields

Cons

Antagonistic and Deceptive Upper Managment

Advice to Management

Stop exploiting staff. Treat staff with respect. Regain the vision of the organization's mission

"pharmacy"

Former Employee - Pharmacy in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Pharmacy in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Chase Brexton Health Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

no weekends, holidays and bonus snow days

Cons

extremely bad communication, very high turn over rate in upper management...too many chiefs not enough Indians

Advice to Management

hire the right people

"There are way more negatives than positives in this organization."

I have been working at Chase Brexton Health Care full-time

Pros

Our patients are under-served and many have few other options. So our jobs are very rewarding when you are able to do them well. Most coworkers are supportive and good at their jobs. Departments and staff members were closer in the past before expansion but Chase Brexton still feels like a family in some ways.

Cons

There was a culture of professionalism and support at Chase Brexton but it is slowly vanishing. All that is left is a toxic climate of self-preservation. And the problems are much deeper than the most recent complaints.… like the planned pay cut to medical providers, the mismanagement of the behavioral health team, or the burnout of administrative staff.

Everyone knows that healthcare is undergoing changes and that they are a challenge to navigate. No organization handles it perfect. But some organizations find a way to make it in this new marketplace - thanks to strong leadership, effective communication, and a clear plan that staff can rally around.

Chase Brexton is not one of these organizations. Instead of stepping up and taking ownership of their role in this floundering change management initiative, our current senior leadership resorts to finger pointing, name calling, and misrepresentation of facts. It may be nice and convenient to blame the recent turnover on long-term staff…. saying they are bitter or out of touch with modern health care.... but there is a lot of turnover of new hires too! They see the writing on the wall and are even less committed to working at Chase Brexton than old staff.

Several other reviews talk about the pharmacy and behavioral health but this is how senior leadership treats employees across the board. A string of poorly executed changes began several years ago with a firing and then the re-hiring of both case management and IT staff (IT was outsourced until that failed). Then there were multiple rounds of medical provider turnover. The issues grew worse as we lost almost the entire senior leadership team several times over.… and many of them were new hires or new promotions themselves, including multiple CMOs and COOs. We are now losing many key support staff who are sick of being told to do more with less. And all the while, they are left to deal with the growing amounts of exasperated patients and providers.

In the meantime, new initiatives are launched with tons of fanfare and then closed and then relaunched without any explanation. Systems and processes change from week to week. People get moved around left and right. Belts get tighter. Yet senior leadership sings their own praises and ignores the implosion happening in front of them. It is no wonder that everyone feels insecure in their jobs, believes that the changes are poorly planned, and then write reviews like the ones here. With another round of providers about to leave, let us hope that leadership will see that their strategy of throwing staff under the bus is not working.

Advice to Management

Stop treating staff like they are all replaceable. It is not sustainable and will be reflected in your quality of care. Don't make decisions in a vacuum. Front line staff and providers often have good insights and genuinely care. Be more transparent. Its easy for people (staff, patients, public) to see what's going on.