Chatters Salons Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jason Volk

1. "Worked at chatters for 6+ years and still wouldn't advise people to work here"

Current Employee - Stylist
    Current Employee - Stylist

I have been working at Chatters Salons full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most locations have high walk in traffic. They carry a lot of great brands. They offer lots of Redken education (most classes however are beginner level and are painful to sit through at times). And they also offer benefits and RRSP.

Cons

Terrible management- when they are actually at our salon all they do is micro manage. All of them favour some stylists and will be flexible with their schedules and the rules. But if you are on their bad side then you won't get holidays or time off approved. Some employees are expected to be on time, however the favoured ones are ok to show up to work late and often looking horrible and not appropriate for a salon. Often the managers will gossip with employees about the other employees.

Chatters raves about being all about family. This is not true at all- they mostly only care about money. The emphasis is solely about quantity and not about quality. They want you pushing as much out the door as possible, but it isn't effective when people are constantly coming back to have it redone. Newer stylists are just thrown in and management is not taking the time to work with them. Managers need to spend their time building up their stylists instead of gossiping, bullying, and tearing them down.

The one and pretty much only reason a lot of us are still willing to work at such a bad company is because of the fantastic clients we've built. I would not recommend chatters to anyone I know because I feel like new stylists deserve somewhere better that will actually put effort into their stylists

Advice to Management

To let go of all the favouring- the same rules should apply to every single employee regardless of who you are friends with or related to.

Sit down with new stylists and let them know what the are doing wrong and actually take the time to show them how to do it properly. You can't expect them to just know and hope they will figure it out.

Shut down the gossip mills right away, don't get involved in the drama- everyone in the salons are adults, so treat them that way.

If stylists need more time to do hair the right way, then give it to them! Don't start booking in appointments just to make a quick buck.

2. "Drama central"

Former Employee - Esthetician in Mount Pearl, NL (Canada)
    Former Employee - Esthetician in Mount Pearl, NL (Canada)

I worked at Chatters Salons (Less than a year)

Pros

- Discount on merchandise
    - Cost me $15 to get my hair done
    - I enjoyed working in a franchised salon because of the benefits that were offered to me.

Cons

- Loud music that can not be switched
    - Disorganized management
    - Drama, gossip, bullying

Advice to Management

Organize a team of people who work well together, it's frustrating working with people who are constantly talking about others behind their backs and gossiping about clients lives.

3. "Horrible, all around"

Current Employee - Beauty Consultant

I have been working at Chatters Salons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing customers
    - Discount on retail product, even sale products
    - Spiffs
    - Free cuts, decent discount on colour
    - Decent store hours

Cons

- Very poor management all around, whether its how to even manage employees, choosing favourites, scheduling, different rules for each employee based on if they like you or not
    - Nine months until benefits kick (ridiculous)
    - Never get any positive feedback of your work, its always negative regardless.
    - Management is unprofessional, works in an unprofessional manner in front of customers
    - Management WILL make you feel like you are disposable, yet front staff are the reason the salon runs
    - Management will leave on vacation for weeks, months and you can't even take a saturday off without snarky comments and rude glares, and 9/10 you won't get it off anyways
    - You will never feel appreciated

Advice to Management

Get some proper training, as a corporate company you'd think we can get some decent training in. Treat your employees with respect. Period. They run your business so if they are unhappy, it will make your complete environment as a salon/store unhappy. Get some better management in and teach them how to actually do their jobs instead of sitting on their phones all day. Once your employees feel like they mean something, you'll see a huge difference in the entire company.

5. "Full-Time Beauty Consultant"

Current Employee - Beauty Consultant

I have been working at Chatters Salons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great customers
    -Small discount on retail products, free hair cuts and discount colour service
    -Small monetary incentives for selling in-house brand

Cons

-Benefits for full-time do not kick in until NINE months of employment
    -Management (retail and district) micromanage
    -Management plays favourites when it comes to scheduling
    -Zero coaching or feedback (unless its negative)
    -Different rules for different people
    -Very few opportunities to grow within your store
    -Customer service training is minimal, lacks consistency from store to store
    -Management is NOT open to feedback on ways to improve the customer experience
    -Very few incentives for employees (some stores give employees free product for friendly sales competitions, other stores do NOT)
    -Returned product, regardless of used or not, will often be put back on the shelf and resold

Advice to Management

Provide your employees with the coaching & feedback that builds their confidence to represent your business to their fullest.

Be flexible, within reason, and create positive internal customer service. Your employees are your most valuable asset and when they feel unappreciated, they bring that to your external customers.

6. "Head Office Not Great"

I worked at Chatters Salons full-time

Pros

- Fun environment to work in
    - Discounts on hair products and services

Cons

- Underpaid and severely overworked.

Advice to Management

HO pays like garbage. Every position is underpaid and overworked. Not only that, but they refuse to promote from within the same area and force employees to uproot their life to grow within positions in the company.

"Dissappointed"

I have been working at Chatters Salons (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent product discounts, flexible schedule,

Cons

Underpaid, lack of motive to sell, don't seem to promote from within, Senior management seem nice to your face and then try to back door you. Management has known that I'd like to move up but then the DM hires her friend for manager. I'm taking my business degree else where

Advice to Management

more transparency with the senior management's motives

8. "Only worth it if you're a stylist or manager."

Former Employee - Beauty Consultant in Kelowna, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Beauty Consultant in Kelowna, BC (Canada)

I worked at Chatters Salons full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

$10 colours, free haircuts, somewhat flexible hours, great training tools if you have proper management, free products and benefits.

Cons

Beauty consultants are treated poorly for the workload given. High daily goals in larger salons with no reward for exceeding them. Typically minimum wage even if you've worked there for years, they'll find a reason to not give you a proper raise. Beauty consultants bring in most of the company's earnings but only make $.50 or $5.00 spiffs for certain products they push on customers. Extremely corporate, they only care about beating their store goals and give little recognition to the ones who make them money.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees fairly for the workload they're given.

9. "I love working at Chatters!"

Current Employee - Hairstylist
    Current Employee - Hairstylist

I have been working at Chatters Salons part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Chatters offers full benefits (medical & dental), which is something that hair salons usually don't offer. They also offer flexible schedules, perfect for employees with children, and free, ongoing education. They offer free, full-size products to customers as a gift with a colour service and the product changes monthly, as well as a Beauty Bonus retail offer. It's a great place to build and keep a clientele. They work their Stylists straight through from Apprentice to Elite, giving us lots of experience. The Stylist connection is a grand experience and educational opportunity that most Stylists will never have, but Chatters employees are privileged to receive. The opportunity to compete and win awards seems to be endless. It is a family oriented family, which makes it easy to give your all. I would highly recommend working here to absolutely anyone!

Cons

Chatters offers a lot of retail options for customers, however, this can be overwhelming for customers, and Stylists at times.

10. "Was good, but went downhill"

Former Employee - Beauty Consultant
    Former Employee - Beauty Consultant

I worked at Chatters Salons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Loved the coworkers that i had (before corporate took over)
    -Decent discount
    -Occasional free products

The company has the potential to be great, but need to higher friendlier management. I worked for the company for over 2 years and would still be there had management not changed.

Cons

-DM was/is very rude
    -Salon manager was very rude (to workers and clients)

Advice to Management

Please treat your staff better. Take the time to learn their name properly and don't yell at them when things aren't done exactly to your standards when you haven't trained them to know your standards.

"Please do not work here. It's not worth it for the experience in a salon environment."

Current Employee - Beauty Consultant in Abbotsford, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Beauty Consultant in Abbotsford, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Chatters Salons part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- $10 for staff colour
    - 30% off of all products (even off sale items)
    - Free hair cuts (ONLY if both you and the stylist are off the clock, other wise 15% off the cut)

Cons

- Managers and DM's very two-faced with staff, especially the beauty consultants (e.g. letting a BC get verbally abused by a customer, then completely disregarding the store policies on no refunds and no exchanges after the 15 day period, therefore making the BC look like a fool for upholding the policies)
    - Hiring managers (especially retail mangers) who have little to no managerial experience and then barely training them
    - Both times I've worked for this company, I've been to two separate locations, and both are beyond filthy. Dust and hair everywhere. The first one I worked at had a water heater in the staff room that had mould caked around it on the floor.
    - Unsafe stock rooms with boxes of shampoo/conditioner litres stacked above our heads.
    - Company as a whole DOES NOT care for the Beauty Consultants. They see us as expendable punching bags, despite us making more than the salon end from product sales alone. Stylists and managers get a week long convention from the company to show recognition for their work, while BC's get to go to a Xmas party that is usually full of drama and mainly for the stylists / managers still.

Advice to Management

Give a damn about your Beauty Consultants! Don't let entitled customers belittle and abuse us for upholding policies that the company has up, and would have us written up or fired for breaking! Especially do not then go and break the policies anyways, which makes us look terrible in front of the customer, and quite frankly, is super embarrassing.
    Also give us a decent medical insurance that covers more than just teeth! We stand constantly for 8 hours a day, working at the computers and taking stock out of extremely unsafe stock rooms.