Chatters Salons Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Jason Volk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Retail Manager"

Current Employee - Retail Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Retail Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Chatters Salons full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been working here for over 5 years in the roles of beauty consultant, assistant manager, and retail manager. There is a lot of trust put into my current position and middle/upper management provides a lot of autonomy as long as the job gets done. Lots of communication between head office and upper management through e-mail memos and new employee personal e-mails. Although the bonuses aren't outstanding, there are volume bonuses and incentives given to ALL levels and positions as long as you're willing to work for them. Lots of good changes have been coming down the pipe in the last year as far as tech advances to make the customer experience more seamless and easier for us to do our job.

Cons

The industry as whole can attract a lot of superficial and selfish personalities, which is regularly difficult to deal with. Gossip is unavoidable, but it's not uncontrollable with a good team. Poor management in the past led to high turnover which was hard to deal with in terms of stability and morale. Middle management is difficult position to be in if you care, and will sometimes and often impose on your home life. This is not a position to take if you want a consistent 9-5 M-F schedule.

Advice to Management

Overall a very good company to start out at but I can't see myself hitting a 10-year mark. The salaries and wages for front-end staff have an implied cap as they don't require any formal training or education to do a basic job. Keep improving the employee experience by working on communicating initiatives, and offering incentives to make work more than just a place to go that pays you to be there.

2. "Great company"

Current Employee - Manager in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I have been working at Chatters Salons full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunitys, flexible and a professional company.

Cons

I don't really have a con for chatters themselves, more of the people that apply for jobs and don't want to work!

Advice to Management

Doing a great job, everyone does try their best! All we all learn something new everyday

"A good place to get an in for the beauty industry"

I worked at Chatters Salons full-time

Pros

Chatters has a good education system for those new to the industry, it was a good learning tool. Stylists would help in front if needed and most were happy to answer questions new staff might have. The POS system was good. I enjoyed my manager and was always more than willing to accommodate days off and the hours I preferred to work. Most chatters don't have the best reviews online but they have some great stylists. I left on good terms with all my co workers and we are still in contact.

Cons

Sadly, I did find more cons than pros. I left for a lot of reasons. Firstly, the pay was less than mediocre even with SPIFFS I worked overtime and the company refused to pay me my over time according to the regional manager I signed papers giving up all rights to over time(I did not sign these papers and they told me I had to if I wanted to continue working there). I was not a manger and what that company does is illegal and unethical. There are a lot of favourites being played in the front and back end. I would have retail and service managers tell me two different things about the same thing. If the managers don't comply with the same rules how do you expect to a have a smooth working environment. If a senior employee did not like a new employee they would be fired and or quit do to the hostile environment. The online booking system would book people in for wrong days and cause a little bit of mayhem. what is the point of having an exchange policy when an employee gets in trouble for refusing to do an exchange for a expired policy date for a product that is less than 2/3 full. They had a good system to help with credit card fraud but when front desk refuses to process a card without proper identification the manger will do it so the guest that is screaming will leave and is afraid of a bad review.

Advice to Management

Not everyone working the front end is uneducated please take into consideration that they are just trying to help and that their ideas might benefit the company as a whole. Front end staff are the reason that any one in HO gets paid, please don't treat them like they are rodents. They make the sales which keeps the company running.

4. "Hair stylist"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Chatters Salons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best benefits and tips in our industry. Great place to work. Awesome for those who want to advance. Open and honest environment. Spend lots on advertising and great locations.

Cons

Hair dressing is hard in the body but chatters offers benefits paid for by the company and thus includes massage and physio which I love.

5. "Soul sucking"

Former Employee - Beauty Consultant in Nanaimo, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Beauty Consultant in Nanaimo, BC (Canada)

I worked at Chatters Salons part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked this job because I love having fun with hair and have a lot of experience in the beauty industry. The discount on product and hair cuts/colours were a bonus.

Cons

The turn over rates are extremely high due to low pay and general lack of professionalism. Managers at the location I was at do not hire people with experience and prefer to hire their friends with little to no work ethic. When we were short staffed there were no interviews or effort into finding staff and people had to work over their scheduled hours to compensate. When people were hired they were left alone, not receiving one on one product or cash training. At one point it took a girl three weeks before she answered a phone- and she has reception duties. Clearly very unorganized. Communication between head office and the front end staff is so blurry we often missed out on sales bonuses and contests. Managers take large sales from beauty consultants to boost their own, and hand over small item sales to other associates-affecting their average purchase goal. Managers often waved the position of "assistant manager" in front of people without any follow up from management. Good hardworking employees were fired with "no cause", showing a complete disregard for people's hard work ethic and contributions to the company. When stylists go to a annual conference in Alberta they are told they have to share beds with their coworkers. One year there were people sleeping on the floor and in the closet because the company is too cheap to book the adequate amount of rooms.

Advice to Management

Hire a manager that has a higher level of professionalism and doesn't play favourites. A manager who has a specific training process so that new staff are ready to start with confidence. Hire those with experience or some knowledge of hair care and products. Pay people a higher wage so they have incentive to stay. Have regular staff meetings to keep communication clear, and resolve any issues.

6. "Fun Fast and Fabulous"

I have been working at Chatters Salons full-time

Pros

Great working environment. Fun, casual and fast paced. Really like the people I work with and for as well as a super cool industry!

Cons

Communication channels need to be further established and developed.

Advice to Management

I enjoy what I do and where I work.

"Esthtician"

Current Employee - Esthetician in Red Deer, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Esthetician in Red Deer, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Chatters Salons full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great culture, excellent medical, dental and extended health benefits, RRSP program with employer matching funds, Education is second to none with an amazing annual training event each October. Commissions are above average and the salons have great locations with free parking and most importantly the salons are super busy with access to many clients.

Cons

There is no app for booking clients appointments remotely, although this is being worked on. Booking hair services works well online but it is not functional for aesthetics at this time.

Advice to Management

Continue to advance your web based appointment booking to work for aesthetics as well as it does for hair services.

"Senior Leader"

Current Employee - Senior Leader in Red Deer, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Leader in Red Deer, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Chatters Salons full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Culture, Beauty Business is fun and fast paced. Great people who care, good benefits and opportunity to grow. Entrepreneurial with autonomy.

Cons

Need do work independently and given a great deal of responsibility. For people with good leadership abilities this is positive.

"Too much pressure for the beauty consultants, if you're a makeup artist this isn't the place for you."

Former Employee - Beauty Consultant/Makeup Artist
    Former Employee - Beauty Consultant/Makeup Artist

I worked at Chatters Salons part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Friendly co-workers
    -Building relationships with customers
    -Learning experience

Cons

-Poor management, paychecks didn't go through sometimes and managers would leave to do personal errands
    -District manager was too strict and constantly called out on you if you don't follow their standards 100%
    -Goals were unreasonably high and you don't receive anything if you achieve your quota
    -Commissions were awful
    -Too much stress was put onto the beauty consultants
    -Work load was too much for the amount you get paid
    -Management would always have something to say about your selling approach and how you engage customers
    -Poor pay
    -Managers would have us constantly bothering the customers and if you left them alone it would reflect badly on you
    -Barely any makeup appointments

Advice to Management

Cut some slack with your employees, especially the beauty consultants. We shouldn't be left alone for serveral hours to handle everything on our own and when a problem arises and we don't know what action to take. Too much pressure for us.

"Worked at chatters for 6+ years and still wouldn't advise people to work here"

Current Employee - Stylist
    Current Employee - Stylist

I have been working at Chatters Salons full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most locations have high walk in traffic. They carry a lot of great brands. They offer lots of Redken education (most classes however are beginner level and are painful to sit through at times). And they also offer benefits and RRSP.

Cons

Terrible management- when they are actually at our salon all they do is micro manage. All of them favour some stylists and will be flexible with their schedules and the rules. But if you are on their bad side then you won't get holidays or time off approved. Some employees are expected to be on time, however the favoured ones are ok to show up to work late and often looking horrible and not appropriate for a salon. Often the managers will gossip with employees about the other employees.

Chatters raves about being all about family. This is not true at all- they mostly only care about money. The emphasis is solely about quantity and not about quality. They want you pushing as much out the door as possible, but it isn't effective when people are constantly coming back to have it redone. Newer stylists are just thrown in and management is not taking the time to work with them. Managers need to spend their time building up their stylists instead of gossiping, bullying, and tearing them down.

The one and pretty much only reason a lot of us are still willing to work at such a bad company is because of the fantastic clients we've built. I would not recommend chatters to anyone I know because I feel like new stylists deserve somewhere better that will actually put effort into their stylists

Advice to Management

To let go of all the favouring- the same rules should apply to every single employee regardless of who you are friends with or related to.

Sit down with new stylists and let them know what the are doing wrong and actually take the time to show them how to do it properly. You can't expect them to just know and hope they will figure it out.

Shut down the gossip mills right away, don't get involved in the drama- everyone in the salons are adults, so treat them that way.

If stylists need more time to do hair the right way, then give it to them! Don't start booking in appointments just to make a quick buck.