Check Point Software Technologies Marketing Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Check Point Software Technologies Chairman and CEO Gil Shwed
Gil Shwed

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Technology is decent Free lunch to keep employees in the office (in 43 reviews)

• Managers try to enforce a work-life balance (in 17 reviews)

"Great place"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Check Point Software Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovation, best in class , market leader

Cons

Work life balance , compensation perceived as not so competitive

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. "Marketing? Soul Murder"

I worked at Check Point Software Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am still alive and have moved on

Cons

Marketing is despised by mangement. Upper ranks are battle hardened by incompentent "suvivors". They cow tow to Tel Aviv do as little as possible and keep their heads down. You will not be permitted to use or develop your skills. Isreal is abusive and does not trust anyone in the US.

Advice to Management

Move all marketing to Isreal quit being abusive

"Talented, hard-working colleagues; Delusional, self-absorbed executives"

I worked at Check Point Software Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The marketing team at Check Point includes some of the smartest, most talented, hard-working people I've ever known. I learned a ton from my colleagues' past experiences and from our collective experience at Check Point. The fringe benefits are kinda neat: Paid lunches (up to $8.50, which is like $2,000 a year so...), the healthcare benefits are great, and the salary, bonus, and RSU programs are reasonably competitive - but don't expect to become a zillionare by any means.

Cons

So some of that experience was good, but mostly it was learning from bad processes, bad management, and failed strategies from the top. The CEO fancies himself a savvy marketing leader when, in fact, he's really just a developer who couldn't market his way out of a paper bag. The CEO should be leading company strategy, not reviewing email copy and holding up $50 purchase orders. (Literally. Everything you've read here about that is 100%, absolute truth.) I understand there's a new CMO. I wish that person luck because in the 18-months I was there we went through two CMOs. The last one quit when she realized it would be impossible for her to move forward with a positive, different, and innovative marketing strategy to reinvigorate the brand. Hey, if Gil's happy running Check Point like a back-office start up and not the global cybersecurity giant it could be, let him do it. Just think hard about whether or not you want to be part of the former or the latter before you sign your offer. So let's talk about career growth: There isn't any. Whatever role you're hired to do (if you're even allowed to DO it once you're on board) will be as far as you go. In Marketing there are no senior roles, no opportunity for advancement, no professional training, no career growth, no nothing.

Advice to Management

Demote Gil. No, seriously - demote him. Check Point needs fresh leadership that brings in fresh ideas and a world view that's not centered around the fame and hometown glory of Tel Aviv. (read: Nobody knows who you are outside of Israel. Your brand is getting TROUNCED.) ... and I suspect market share and quarterly results will reflect that sad reality in the coming year or so.

"Secure but crazy"

I worked at Check Point Software Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Secure, stable company, free lunch

Cons

Tough environment, borderline abusive, you will go crazy if you stay too long.

Advice to Management

Get executives out of day to day operations, you are successful in spite of yourselves.

"Big Problems in Marketing - Stay Away."

Former Employee - Marketing Program Manager in San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Program Manager in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Check Point Software Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people are great, free lunch, but it's low quality, opportunities to do a ton of work and build a portfolio.

Cons

1. Micro management from Israel.
    2. They expect a lot from marketing, yet never approve anything we want to do, therefore handcuffing us (understatement)
    3. Incompetent and inexperienced people are hired and kept in the organization, even when there are obvious problems with them (includes management).
    4. Very high turnover, due to people becoming so frustrated with horrible processes.
    5. High stress levels, toxic work environment.

Advice to Management

Some suggestions for the management (especially executive level) at Check Point:

First, process is everything. When the executive management has to approve an email or a landing page before it goes live, that’s a serious problem. If marketing is given an approved budget, but then has to obtain permission on every single initiative they wish to push through, that’s not just a problem, it is a violent roadblock. Nothing of any substance will happen when people are not free to use their talents and aren’t given the resources to do good inside the company.

Second, hiring more layers of management before the serious process issues are remedied is a huge tactical error and will ultimately backfire. This is organizational development 101. Any McKinsey or Bain consultant worth their salt will tell you the same thing, for good reason.

Lastly, if you don’t provide a supportive environment and incentivize your employees in ways they need, you will continue to bleed out people every 9-12 months. Turnover will get even worse. Eventually, your reputation will be so bad that nobody will apply to any open position you post, unless they are desperate.(which is already happening, I’m told)

My recommendation for job seekers: If you are a high-performer, who is talented, ambitious, is creative and produces great work on a consistent basis, look elsewhere. Unfortunately, Check Point is an environment where you will constantly be shut down, criticized and questioned about every single thing that comes out of your mouth, usually for no apparent reason. There is healthy debate, then there is abusive, confrontational hostility. Take a guess at which one Check Point is.

There are literally thousands of companies in the Silicon Valley, many of which who would welcome big thinkers, visionaries, high-performance people who love what they do. Go to those companies, enjoy your job and stay away from Check Point.

6. "Just started and already have learned so much. I love the work atmoshpehere"

Current Employee - Channel Marketing Manager in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Channel Marketing Manager in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Check Point Software Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For working here for only three months, I have learned more in my current position than any previous job I've held before. I have the best supervisor and with the addition of the new CMO, the marketing department has really whipped up into shape. The people that work here could not be nicer and it has been an absolute pleasure working for Check Point.

Cons

Food, food and more food. They love to feed you here!

7. "Overall, an okay place to work."

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA

Pros

This company is in a good sector. You will be positioned well once you leave Check Point. The CEO is forward thinking and you will learn a lot.

Cons

Very political. There can be issues between overseas management and management that resides in the United States. Efforts to look good to remote managment seems to negatively impact behaviors between the different departments.

Advice to Management

Check in more frequently with United States employees to see if systems that are put in place are working. Have anonymous feedback systems in place so that people can tell you how things are REALLY going.

8. "safe job"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Check Point is stable company to work for. The overall quality of life for employee is great. Free lunch daily for employees, fitness center and new hire training program that requires all employees to go to Israel.

Cons

Check Point management is little too controlling and is very strict in terms of getting approval from mgmt. and often put too many layers in the approval process and decisions are not made quickly. Communication is very poor from top to bottom of the organization. Some processes and procedures are too time consuming.

Advice to Management

Stop getting involved with everything and communicate important issues to the everyone. Everything in the company is treated as secret.

"If you take pride in your work, go somewhere else"

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Many good mid-level managers who care. Willingness to look out for employees who need time off, etc.

Cons

Autocratic, lack of pay, the lack of management of the international cultural split, lack of work ethic from many people, managers not empowered to reward good employees or punish bad employees.

Advice to Management

Get a professional executive to run the company