Checkered Flag Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great Shop"

I have been working at Checkered Flag full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The other techs are great to work with, The pay and bonus plan is the best I have seen from a dealer, the shop equipment is new and up to date, air conditioned enclosed shop.

Cons

not any cons that come to mind.

2. "Great Dealership!"

I have been working at Checkered Flag full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

All inclusive company trip every year, annual picnic for employees and our families, brand new facilities, tons of training, family run business

Cons

The company is growing, so there is a lot of change

3. "Scammers"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Checkered Flag full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are new to this field, this place offers some decent opportunities to get your feet wet. The owners are nice.

Cons

Management allow advisors to screw over customers by over-charging for not needed work to make a buck (I seriously recommend that a third party auditor partners with financial and ITT team). Management moves ticket from one advisor to another w/out the advisors knowledge (stealing commission pay from one advisor and giving it to another; when challenged with documentation they became hostile). Customer confidentiality is not respected (lady who does WESP score; will not give names). This job has a high turnover rate, seen good people fired w/out adequate reasoning and w/out proper notice (beware if you have a family). Training videos are to be completed on your personal time otherwise you will not make money which can get you fired. And of course long hours (to be expected in this line of work). Hope this helps and good luck.

Advice to Management

Cover your tails and ensure you do what's best for the customer to keep business circulating. If an employee advises and wrongdoing by others at the job, take those accusations seriously and investigate instead of firing the person. All employees are reflections of you, if they look good so do you and vice versa.

4. "IT Director"

I have been working at Checkered Flag full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Communication is only weakness they have.

5. "Could be better"

Current Employee - Detailer in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Detailer in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

Love the guys I work with!! Great environment decent discounts great facilities good bonuses etc............

Cons

Ridiculously long hours barely any time for myself or my family pay is not commensurate with the hours and that is unacceptable difficult to advance in the company

Advice to Management

Make the detailers hourly!!

"Sadly going downhill for about 2 years"

Current Employee - Technician in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Technician in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Checkered Flag full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive wages, average health insurance, decent employee discounts on vehicles. There are a few good people still employed there but that is slowly changing.

Cons

Sadly there have been some changes with the Executives that run the company and they now listen to outside consultants and rely on people who have no experience in service to make decisions regarding that department. It's sad to say that this company has gone from being one of the more sought after companies to work for in the area to a place where even the most tenured employees want to leave. Not a very good outlook for the immediate future either as upper management (fixed ops, etc...) as well as HR are seemingly letting all of our complaints fall on deaf ears.

Advice to Management

Start listening to your senior employees before there's nobody left to talk to you. When dozens of essential employees leave within a 6 month period- OBVIOUSLY there is an issue with the company.

Also, stop asking your employees to give up their lives and families to take care of ungrateful customers.

"Great performance gets you fired!"

Former Employee - Former Sales Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Former Sales Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Checkered Flag full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not any I can think of. Sweat shop mentality!

Cons

Long, long hours. Senior management lie to all!

Advice to Management

Realize you are only as good as your employees. And as you've gotten rid of so many good ones over the years, you and your company has and will continue to suffer!

8. "Horrible Company"

I worked at Checkered Flag full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with co-workers and great products

Cons

Senior management in service lies to customers and higher management lies to employees to their benefit. Always cutting the pay to their employees and saying no money but always go to Las Vegas for some meeting or some other reason. Long slave hours and dont care about their employees welfare and never notices great employees who work hard for them.

Advice to Management

Have nothing nice to say about management

9. "Continual improvement"

I have been working at Checkered Flag full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Always given the tools to complete the tasks required. I work with professionals that are near the top of their game. This is a performance based position. Do well get paid well. Training is constant and appropriate. We are encouraged to better ourselves and those around us.

Cons

Benefits are equal to any other place but I wish they could be better.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote and train existing employees!

10. "Parts Driver"

Pros

Working as a parts driver is easy and low stress. Company benefits are ok, but not great. However, if you want to make "real money," be prepared to work 60+ hours a week in service or sales. If you hustle, with or without a degree, you can advance into management.

Cons

Benefits, especially health insurance, have gotten progressively worse since Obamacare. Only 6 holidays a year, and if you happen to be off anyway, you're just S.O.L.

Advice to Management

Revise your holiday schedule such that when a holiday falls on an employee's day off, he or she can make it up on another when he or she would otherwise be working.