Checkers Drive-In Reviews in Tampa, FL | Glassdoor

Tampa, FL

1.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rick Silva

Pros
  • fast paced environment, small staffing (in 6 reviews)

• Good food, fun staff, 30 mintue breaks (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • your a full time employee but dont work more than 20 hours a week dont give you discounts on food low pay unorganized (in 7 reviews)

• Rude customers and lazy employees (in 7 reviews)

1. "Real actions do not match stated Values - not even close!"

Former Employee - Corporate Office in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Corporate Office in Tampa, FL

I worked at Checkers Drive-In full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Surrounded by people that work really hard to make a difference. People in the restaurants work VERY hard to get the job done. Fantastic group of franchisees!

Cons

The more you do the more that is asked. Cannot trust upper management (speak out of both sides of the mouth).

Advice to Management

Need transparency! Actions should match the Values you have chosen and constantly speak to (ad nauseam). Your people in the field got you there, you should remember that!

2. "Checkers"

Current Employee - Team Member in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Team Member in Tampa, FL

Pros

Half off food and create friendships

Cons

Customers suck, always busy and not worth it

Advice to Management

Noth

3. "Dishonest management"

Current Employee - Cashier in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Checkers Drive-In part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We are allowed a 50% discount on food

Cons

Poor management, crew members aren't allowed to get over time or time and a half

Advice to Management

Managing the work schedule better

5. "Focus on food quality and customer."

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Checkers Drive-In full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of good people, from corporate office to restaurants and especially the franchisees. Having worked for other franchise organizations, Checkers has supportive and participative Franchisees.
    The company is small enough to allow those ambitious enough the opportunity to participate in business building projects and to make an impact. Because of this, I was able to make a direct impact on the business in my daily efforts and that is a rewarding experience.
    There are a lot of smart people.

Cons

There is no focus on the customer. The company would not exist without them! This should be at top of the list along with the food, which also lacks a focus on quality.
    The good people mentioned in the pros continue leaving the organization. There is no real succession planning to keep them engaged and developing.
    The Executive Leadership have been in place a long time and tend to make decisions in isolation with little input from employees. While in some ways the tenure can be good, in this case it magnifies the isolation in the decision making process. The organization would benefit from new and different leadership. Especially by getting thought leaders in the category.
    Profit focused growth over the past several years has resulted in a lack of focus on people or on business decisions that would pay out in the long term. That makes it difficult in a struggling category to see any long term growth. This is further magnified by ownership changes that force the Executives to focus on short term profit as well.
    There is a lot of finger pointing. It's too small of an organization for that to be effective. More important, it really creates an uncomfortable work environment for everyone.

Advice to Management

Stop listening to your own opinions for a few weeks and start listening to your customers, followed by your employees and thought leaders in the category.

"Restaurant Support Center is fun, challenging and growing better each year"

Current Employee - Restaurant Support Center Employee - I T in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Restaurant Support Center Employee - I T in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Checkers Drive-In full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Checkers is a brand that you can be proud of. The company cares about the quality and value of their product and service and cares equally as much about their people. Depending on your position, hours can be flexible to accomadate life's interruptions. Checkers employees are very diverse and harrassent is not tolerated. They invest in their employees by growing a culture of fun, rewards, recognition and development. There are big incentives like cruises and smaller incentives that happen all the time, like gift cards, lunches or company outings to ball games, theme parks, picnics, bowling and more.

I've been with the company for nearly 20 years and have witnessed the generosity of the company through their C.A.R.E. program, community outreach following hurricanes and many other things. They encourage their employees to give back through different charities like breast cancer awareness and heart association. And employees are equally as giving when an employee (or their child) is raising money for a charity or school through a fundraiser.

Diversity and humor are encouraged but a strong work ethic is present as well. Employees at all levels from the corporate office to the crew in the restaurants take pride in the company and strive for excellence.

They are generous with vacation benefits!

Cons

Sometimes the hours can be long. Though this is not the norm, projects can crop up and are given a sense of urgency to complete in a limited time frame. For me, this is almost a pro and a con as the challenge can get my adrenalin going and I become very invested in rising to the task. But if the project demands a lot of overtime, it can also take it's toll on the home life and your health. So it is a careful balancing act. You have to work smart and communicate clearly what is a realistic deadline.

The Restaurant Support Center runs on a very lean staff and everyone is busy. The culture is to make time to work in fun events, but otherwise, the days are busy. Sometimes a person's efforts may seem to go unrecognized. The restaurant employees or franchisees may have no idea how much effort went into a particular project. However, the Executive team does have a handle on how much of a contribution each employee makes and the rewards often come later like during the annual All Star Awards.

Advice to Management

Communication, communication, communication!!! Many thanks for a friendly, inviting and fun work environment but effective and timely communication is very valuable and we can continue to improve on this at a more granular level. The weekly huddles and quarterly town hall meetings give us the broad strokes and keep us updated on the pulse of the company, however, communication regarding promotional events and projects can be improved. We need more cross functional awareness between departments. We have made huge strides in this area but still there is room for improvement.