Checkers Industrial Safety Products Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "still new here"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Checkers Industrial Safety Products full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had heard a lot about the changes happening throughout the company so I was a little worried. I really need to be employed so I took a leap. It was an excellent decision so far. There are employees who weren't pulling their weight who have been let go recently and the whole atmosphere of the place has improved. Those of us who work hard are getting the recognition and validation deserved. Customers are happy. While I've only been here a short time, the respectful, professional atmosphere includes a warm family supportive feeling and I'm encouraged to ask questions and request additional training.

Cons

Training could be a bit more organized, but I know that is a work in progress.

"All about profit"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Checkers Industrial Safety Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing Product, great brand, easy to sell, world leader in chocks, whips and cable mats. Everyone knows them or wants the product.

Cons

CEO is all about profit...tsame thing every 3-5 years.....

Year 1 grow grow grow.....
    Year 2 Grow grow aquire other companies
    Year 3 Turn Profit Profit Profit
    Year 4&5 Cut and slash staff to make profits bigger
    end of year 5 company sells to bigger investor

Upper Management CEO,CFO,VP's are all about themselves...cut throat ...will toss you under the bus

To protect their marketshare they will sue and threated a lawsuit to any competitor or former employee

Gutless pigs

"Not a "small" company anymore."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Checkers Industrial Safety Products full-time

Pros

The products that are made at Checkers are top quality, there is/has been a great work environment and there are some great people still working at Checkers. The company is growing(mostly through acquisition) but unfortunately, the "small" company feel is gone.

Cons

As the company grows, more of the great employees are let go or are leaving, the employees left are overworked and under trained, have become numbers and the morale is dropping.

Advice to Management

Realize that Checkers is a manufacturing company(not a sales company) and take care of the people that are keeping the company producing. P&L numbers are very important, but if you invest in your employees, the cost to train replacements goes down. Making the books look better might help in the short term, but the things that will be ignored while you are understaffed will hurt you in the long term.

"Changing to a Corp Environment"

Former Employee - Customer Service/Sales in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service/Sales in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Checkers Industrial Safety Products full-time

Pros

All of the Pro's I can think of are on their way out of the door such as the people and environment. The culture of this company used to be small business like and the employees where considered an important part of the company. The company has been bought by so many investment firms the culture is profit for the board members now.

Cons

Low pay for the worker bees. There are plenty of six figure salaries coming out of this company but the real cogs do not get paid well. The majority of the sales team is under paid, many good sales and sales support staff have left in the past year due to limited salary potential. Of course the blue collar workers are vastly underpaid.

Advice to Management

Stop the corporate greed

5. "Planner"

Current Employee - Planner in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Planner in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Checkers Industrial Safety Products full-time

Pros

Great communication, growing organization, flexible schedule, good management, great supervisors, ample opportunity.

Cons

Distance from home office, smaller buisness

Advice to Management

More opportunity lower level staff

6. "Beware the BACKSTABBERS"

Former Employee - Warehouse/Production in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Warehouse/Production in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Checkers Industrial Safety Products full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of overtime and a paycheck.
    The benefits aren't bad either.

Cons

The company is kind of successful in spite of itself.
    Secretive management.
    Backstabbing supervisors.
    A reactive safety culture, rather than a proactive safety culture -- in an industrial safety company!!!
    Like working in a disgusting, stressful and dangerous cesspool. And that's just the production departments!

Advice to Management

1) Stop allowing supervisors to target those that show them up.
    2) Allow employee innovations.
    3) Stop firing people over trivial BS.
    4) Get your poop in a group!

"Managed the Quality Department and PDM for Manufacturing and Operations."

I worked at Checkers Industrial Safety Products full-time

Pros

Experiencing change from traditional manufacturing to lean processes. Excellent mentoring opportunity received from the VP of Operations allowing me to transition from a Quality Tech. to A Quality Manager. Expanding my knowledge of Operations through team process improvement events, Value Stream Mapping Operations processes for example.

Cons

The Safety Industry has proven to be difficult industry in this economy, projected growth has been flat and investors expected more from the Mining Industry, for example. Company re-structuring to accommodate financial responsibilities takes it toll.

Advice to Management

Finance and Operations need to be flexible and embrace lean cost saving changes rather than layoffs of trained internal customers.

8. "Mixed Bag"

I worked at Checkers Industrial Safety Products full-time

Pros

Good people for the most part, good products, pay was reasonable

Cons

Lack of direction, poor communication

Advice to Management

Stop protecting certain individuals & sticking head in sand when there are issues -- address them head on.

9. "Ridiculous stuff goes on here"

Former Employee - Warehouse in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Checkers Industrial Safety Products full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They give you a paycheck

Cons

There are a bunch of people that work with heavy machines that are frequently drunk. The worst part is that the manager in charge of these people knows and does not want anything to do it. You must stuff your nose up someones rear end to have any chance of moving up. I saw the hardest working, and possibly one of the nicest guys get passed up on promotions to others with very poor work ethic just cause they brown nosed the right people.

Advice to Management

To upper management: Step back and take a look at what is going on. Replacing one or two of your leaders will make a world of difference.

10. "Demoralizing Place to Work"

I worked at Checkers Industrial Safety Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really don't see much in the way of Pros of working for this company, other than it's in a decent location in terms of commute.

Cons

Upper Management is unskilled and utilizes mindless power plays to enforce their positions. Lack of communication but plenty of manipulation. People are wantonly fired for little or no reason, creating a lack of trust in employees.

Advice to Management

Realize that you are a professional organization, not dramatic theater. Train and groom your employees to stay with the company long-term, or the constant turnover and lack of direction will hamper your growth.