Chef Works Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Neil Gross

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Cw has pros and cons"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I have been working at Chef Works full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits (401k, health, flex spending, life ins, dental, vision)
    PTO (up to 3 weeks per yr, holidays, sick, and birthday)
    Hours
    Some management (marketing, customer service, program management).
    Some may say that the Jewish South African culture is a downfall... but it's a family owned and operated company. While some of the family has a chip on their shoulder, a few are down to earth good and reasonable people. If you want to work for a strict corporate company then apply elsewhere.
    The longer you work for the company the more "personal" benefits you will receive. Do not expect to work for 6mo and receive the same privileges as someone who has been there for 5+, as they are now trusted and have proven their company worth.
    This is a good company overall for some (millennial are not a good fit, and will quit within a year or so).

Cons

Contrary to others reviews there is not a lot of room for advancement. They have few departments most of which are lateral moves, or moves to dysfunctional departments (inside sales, and accounting).

There are a lot of long term employees and a lot of turn over for new employees.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people that don't fit. Provide better wages, so your long term employees so they have something positive to say about the company, and new employees have a reason to stay. Offer more work from home opportunities as commuting brings down the morale, and the office would not have to constantly be re organized (desks could be shared, and calls/orders/etc are easily monitored through phone systems & the terminal). Stop allowing people to take advantage of working from home (people working from home should be working, not avoiding using their pto).

"Sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Poway, CA

I have been working at Chef Works full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros.
    Have been working at Chef Works for a couple years now in the Inside Sales department. For the most part I’ve had a very positive experience. The people that work in the department are usually enthusiastic and optimistic which creates a pleasant work environment! The manager genuinely cares for the people that work for her and does a whole lot to support the sales team. Other managers “claim” to have an open door policy but in our managers case It’s quite literal and everyone on the team feels comfortable speaking with her. In the world of sales we constantly go through our ups and downs which is the nature of the game. Our manager sincerely celebrates our victories and encourages us in our losses. The product we sell carries integrity which in my opinion is important when choosing a company to sell for. The customers we call on need the product whether it’s through Chef Works or a different vendor. Really it’s just up to you how many people you’d like to reach out to.

Cons

Cons.
    The company is growing quickly and because of that we do experience growing pains. Just like with everything it’s not all rainbows and butterfly’s. There are challenges we face as sales people. Other companies are typically structured to support their sales people as the sales people bring revenue into the company which allow the company to cut checks to it’s employees. The sales force typically has challenges getting support from other departments.

3. "Great Company!"

I have been working at Chef Works full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is an amazing company to work for! They take care of you with great benefits and good pay. Lots of internal movement for all levels of employees. Fun family environment where work/life balance is a part of the culture. The company cares for its employees but you are expected to work hard. Love the environment and my coworkers and would recommend this company to anyone.

Cons

No company is perfect but I can honestly say there are no real cons to working for Chef Works.

"Growing Pains"

I have been working at Chef Works full-time

Pros

This is a very fast growing company. They have more than doubled in size in just the past few years. No telling where is will be in a few more years, but sure they will grow even more

Cons

Like I said, it's a very fast growing company and sometimes it's still figuring things out as they go. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong, that's just how it always goes at this point in a companies evolution. They have some really great people doing a lot of great things. They also some not so great people that never seem to be held accountable for doing a bad job.

Advice to Management

Be better at holding people accountable for bad work, and rewarding people for good work. Talk to the people actually doing the work, not just the people managing the work.

"Inside Sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Poway, CA

I have been working at Chef Works full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good product with fun customers

Cons

Management has no regard for their inside sales staff. Their decisions on when an account is "corporate" is arbitrary. If it is convenient for management or makes their outside team happy, they deem it a "corporate account" and strip you of it, with no compensation. Their decisions are inconsistent. If you get your hands on an account with potential, your own manager will try and take the account from you and hand it over to someone else, without any reward. Everyone in upper management is related to one another and their decisions benefit "the family" and not their employees.

6. "Chef works"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at Chef Works full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It means a lot to me.

Cons

If there is no teamwork

Advice to Management

Keep working on it.

"Running much better"

Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at Chef Works full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a nice place, but had a lot of growing pains due to a lot of growth (not such a bad problem to have). Good people. Running much better under Neil. He's a bit more focused than what they've had in the past. Can stay the course until a project is complete, without getting distracted by new ideas.

Cons

They're not super open to hearing about "best practices" from other companies.

Advice to Management

Maybe be a little more open to hearing about how things are done at other companies. You don't have to do it that way, but there might be good information to hear about.

"Csr"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Poway, CA

I have been working at Chef Works full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They really look out for their employees to ensure happiness and we'll balanced work/home life.

Cons

The traffic always sucks but that has nothing to do with the company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"A good place to work"

I have been working at Chef Works full-time

Pros

Chef Works has a good reputation of promoting within for career advancement.

Cons

Public Transportation is a challenge since the bus stop is about a mile away but does not have a reflection on Chef Works..

"Growing Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Chef Works (More than a year)

Pros

Growing environment with lots of challenges, perfect for personal and professional growth.
    Communication is open, no matter who initiates it.
    Potential to growth internally
    When an employee can be relocated to a more suited available position, they will move the person.
    Great health benefit options

Cons

So far so good. No negative comments or cons to submit at this moment. The company is growing fast so anything could happen.