Chegg Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Chegg President and CEO Dan Rosensweig
Dan Rosensweig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance: Chegg really treat us as adults (in 21 reviews)

• Lots of benefits: free lunch and snacks, unlimited vacation, frequent company-wide events and parties (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • We're breaking new ground and learning what it will take to be successful delivering our products - plenty of growing pains (in 7 reviews)

• Unclear expectations and little career growth opportunities (in 6 reviews)

"Great Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Pros

Great Pay, great work environment. Good people to work for and work with. If you are a hard worker chegg is a great place to grow.

Cons

High stress during rush seasons. Corporate bureaucracy at times makes changes slow. There is a lot of great people but a few bad apples that are still looming. They are pretty easy to spot however.

2. "Working on important problem with good people in stimulating, sometimes ambiguous environment"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

* Doing well by doing good - improving educational access is highly motivating
    * Unpolitical do-what's-right-for the customer environment. Surprisingly good here.
    * Broad independence on lifestyle, in office time, vacation
    * Everyone gets to contribute to workplan
    * Energetic work environment
    * No @ssholes - friendly culture

Cons

* Can be ambiguous what's important to leadership - not a clear process or communication plan
    * Career development / promotion plan is not well defined

3. "I very surprsed how hard they work while still having a good time. Taking a line from the manager.."We get the job done""

Former Employee - Seasonal Picker in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Seasonal Picker in Louisville, KY

Pros

From the start you are greeted with a smile and the knowledge of their apprecation you are there. They keep you will informed of the policy & procedures and how to meet your numbers. The teamleads are always willing to help and encourage you along the way. The manager, always smiling and willing to work with you is very surprising since you can catch her picking , shipping right beside you at times. That really makes a person want to stay and be apart of the Chegg team. I really enjoyed my last rush with some of the new supervisors and teamleads, change is good. I have been apart of the Chegg rush team 3 times and everytime cant wait to go back.

Cons

Worked this last rush and it was very hot at times. Sometimes I really didnt think I was gonna make it. Start times tend to change often which for some of us with kids can be a little hard to manage. The chances of being hired on fulltime are not good as you are told from the beginning can be hard to deal with. The breakroom tends to be far away from the actual working area and can be a long walk. However they do give you a 15 minute break.

Advice to Management

Find a way to employ more individuals like myself who would be honored to work with you. Air conditioning and heat would make life a little easier and would keep people around longer.

4. "Chegg has assembled amazing executive talent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Whether it's to push for an IPO, or just to make the business grow as much as possible, the company has assembled an amazing executive team in recent months. The company is growing quickly, having completed four acquisitions in the past year, so there is always plenty of work to do, and marketshare to obtain. It is a very collaborative workplace, and the future of the company is based on how the entire company grows, not just isolated groups. The company has regular awards to celebrate employees who embody Chegg's core values, and offers free lunches, snacks and drinks every day. It is a great place to work and I enjoy going to work every day. Plus, I feel positive that we're helping college students save time, save money and get smarter.

Cons

Chegg is growing too big for its present space. This is probably just a side-effect of its impressive recent growth.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing to change the world. Chegg has an amazing product offering and very talented employees. Combined with the management team in place, it seems destined to disrupt the education system in a very positive way.

5. "Fast paced, fun, interesting, innovated place to work that I am excited to live out my career with."

Current Employee - Finance in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Chegg is a fast pace, fun start up with a great reason for existing. It's filled with incredibly intelligent and innovative people. Every day is a new day and every project is about moving forward and innovation. The great part of a start up is that you are not just coming to work for the same day to day tasks. Each person has variable skills whether they know it or not and Chegg more than allows you to add your input to the various projects. This company is the perfect fit for a get-bored-easily-multi-tasker team player!

Cons

Because the company is moving so fast and projects are popping up all the time, the communiation between groups and the respect for how one flow affects another department is just plain lacking. Often, some spark has initiated in a different department and all of a sudden, months later, someone asks, "should we tell the engineers to track it so accounting can bill it?" However, Chegg has realized this and is working on it...

Advice to Management

The biggest complaint I hear, and the one that I have, is the communication between departments. Its getting better as lots as been done although more can be done such as a well maintained intranet to include company information and updated policies and procedures.

6. "Chegg has a very distinct mission and moves toward its goals in a fun,focused, and exciting manner."

Current Employee - Design Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Design Intern in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Chegg's employees are comprised of a very diverse group of people. No matter where you are there is always something for you to learn from someone. The knowledge surrounding you is virtually endless. On top of that the management team is stacked and very understanding of peoples' personal lives. They motivate their employees to get their jobs done while having fun doing them. In all Chegg is a great experience

Cons

Chegg always promotes new ideas. However in doing so, I feel that the company, at times, is trying to accomplish too much at once. Though I believe these ideas are great in the long run I feel the companies focus should be slightly narrowed.

Advice to Management

Promote more intra-company communication. The environment is amazing and work gets done at a fantastic rate. However at times I notice groups, which are working together, are not always on the same page.

7. "Great experience so far! Chegg seems to really care about their employees, and provides great incentives!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Working at Chegg has been great! Besides all the great food and other fantastic incentives the environment is very friendly and outgoing. It seems they really try to address all the problems employees might have and openly listen to suggestions about how to improve their operations. If you ask for more work opportunities, they will gladly figure out how to get you involved in extra projects that help you advance within the company.

Cons

No major complaints so far. Perhaps just re-structure the way office space is organized. It's odd that some of the management is located all the way on the other side of the building.

Advice to Management

I think the management has done a great job keeping everyone involved individually towards the benefit of the company as a whole. However, it'd be helpful to have more team meetings to better express the outline of the tasks to be performed.

8. "An innovative and rewarding place to work"

Current Employee - Content Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Content Manager in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

One of the best reasons to want to work here is that the education industry is one that is not going anywhere. Don't have to worry about people not going to college. It is quite the opposite. More people are going to college, or going back, and always looking for ways to save money and Chegg offers those savings. The people that work here are great and provide a great environment to come to work to.

Cons

When I find some downsides I will report it, but so far my experience has been fantastic.

9. "It has been a fast pace ride, but an overall great experience."

Current Employee - Notehall Team in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Notehall Team in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

The Chegg people have all been pretty welcoming of the new Notehall team, they provide lunch and a nice atmosphere so you have a place to get up and walk around if you need a minute to gather yourself. You learn a lot and for the most part it is a positive attitude, the people are very nice and it is fast pace but they are very understanding of students schedules and they are very flexible so I can balance my school/personal life with work.
    They also rewarded those who do well and let us know that our efforts weren't going unnoticed.

Cons

I feel like the people who work for the newly acquired websites are kind of in a different world compared to the regular Chegg employees, we were hired for the semester but sometimes we feel kind of disposable at any moment if they don't need us anymore. It was rough because we are trying new things this semester so each week there seems to be a new focus compared to the week before so it can be inconsistent.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to know if we ever have a chance at advancing with the company or what other opportunities exist. They have been really nice though and supportive and seeing the CEO walking around all the time and make an effort to say hi is very nice so keep it up!

10. "Wonderful work environment to grow as a professional and experience business development"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Chegg has a very open work environment and there are a lot of great opportunities for advancement and experience. Everyone working at Chegg is interesting and fun to be around. There is a great work culture and community. Monthly meetings keep you involved in what's happening with the company.

Cons

Slowly running out of space to fit everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!