Chegg Reviews in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

4.0
Chegg President and CEO Dan Rosensweig
Dan Rosensweig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance: Chegg really treat us as adults (in 19 reviews)

• Lots of benefits: free lunch and snacks, unlimited vacation, frequent company-wide events and parties (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • We're breaking new ground and learning what it will take to be successful delivering our products - plenty of growing pains (in 7 reviews)

• Unclear expectations and little career growth opportunities (in 6 reviews)

"High growth company with a great culture"

I have been working at Chegg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Our CEO really believes in cultivating leaders, empowering employees and fostering a collaborative environment. I've been in the Valley in various leadership positions for close to two decades and I genuinely think our CEO is *the" best leader, coach and storyteller I've ever worked with. I've been with Chegg for close to 5 years. I'm still amazed by how he handles conflicts with class and sets the right tone for his leadership team (and therefore the company). He expects the best from his team and at the same time, he fosters the right culture for us to be able to grow and succeed.

This is a company with a soul - big mission and a great collection of young, enthusiastic employees who want to make a difference.

Cons

Don't get me wrong, it's demanding to work at a high-growth company. It's a young company where lots of the infrastructure, processes, and systems need to be rebuilt (or built) for future scale. That puts a heavy responsibility on the leaders and managers within the company - as we need to set up the framework while showing our teams hands-on how to execute (leading by example). This is a place for "owners", not "renters". If you want to build something and see how you can make an impact, Chegg is awesome. If you're looking for an organized place where you focus on optimizing things that are well-established, this place can drive you crazy.

Advice to Management

Steer leaders to focus on operational management and excellence -- to help us execute effectively to deliver growth and scale.

"Fun place"

Former Employee - Data Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Data Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Chegg is a fun and dynamic environment: there is a constant stream of new young people joining the company, interns in summer, colorful headquarter office. Lots of benefits: free lunch and snacks, unlimited vacation, frequent company-wide events and parties.

Cons

The communication across teams needs to be improved, so that one hand knows what the other is doing. The upper technical management needs to be more transparent about the technical roadmap, projects, and strategy.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, innovative environment, great customers, working towards a greater cause of improving education

Cons

A little bit of bureaucracy, too many meetings, ramp on projects can sometimes be slow

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time

Pros

Love your mission. Everybody’s friendly.
    Benefits are great, especially 401k match ( standard * 3 times), ESPP (-15% of current price) and unlimited vacation, good life-work balance.

Cons

However, some low-level managers are "out their place". I guess, they were promoted for hard work, but have little knowledge of management or how to motivate team. Mid-level management is not visible at all, never have spoke with them.

Advice to Management

have none.

"Great mission and people"

I have been working at Chegg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Chegg's a place where everyone cares about the student and education. People come here because they want to make a difference for students. The CEO is visionary and definitely a thought leader in the student and education space. It's a good feeling when college students tell you that they love Chegg because they rented textbooks and saved them a ton of money or Chegg Study helped them in their calculus class. College is crazy expensive and students need our help. Last year, Chegg has a new program that helps employees pay off their student loans up to $1000 a year.

Cons

We're constantly changing because ed tech is an emerging category. We're breaking new ground and learning what it will take to be successful delivering our products - plenty of growing pains. If you don't like constant change, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Communicate more, in fact, overcommunicate. There is so much going on in the company and things are evolving fast.

"A mission driven company loaded with talent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All the bells and whistles of your typical venture backed or public tech company. Nice office, free food, excellent pay, amazing benefits, perks, etc. World class management team and lots of smart people.

Cons

It's not an early stage startup. The company has matured, gone public, and is not as nimble as it once was.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Management really is committed to owning the space and making life better for high school and college students.

7. "software engineering"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

culture, values, provide valuable service to consumers

Cons

sometimes confusing product development, roles and organization

Advice to Management

continue building quality engineering organization

"Saddled with a dying textbook business, but breaking free"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* The company has a good long-term strategy around transitioning the business to higher-margin digital services.
    * The people are great, and it's a fun company.
    * Free lunch! :)

Cons

* The textbook business occupies far too much of the company's resources, but this is changing with the Ingram deal!
    * Lots of re-org'ing, which can be disruptive.
    * Tend to get into lots of side-projects without clear goals.

Advice to Management

Go all-in on the digital strategy. Get away from textbooks and any projects that don't directly contribute to significant user engagement and revenue.

9. "Great Intern Experience"

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Team structure, open community. They really want you to get something out of your internship. The people I worked with were amazing.

Cons

They are going through some growing pains, but are working it out. The intern program is super structured, which could be a good or bad thing depending on how self driven you are.

10. "A nice place to stay"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is nice knowing that the company is trying to help others.
    Depending on managers you can usually get a lot of free time to play games in the office, working out at the gym, or go for short walks to help clear your mind.
    Choice of lunch every day + snacks

Cons

Moving away from old systems is slow.

Advice to Management

More transparency and less surprises is always nice.