Chegg Reviews in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chegg President and CEO Dan Rosensweig
Dan Rosensweig

Pros
  • Work life balance: Chegg really treat us as adults (in 18 reviews)

• Lots of benefits: free lunch and snacks, unlimited vacation, frequent company-wide events and parties (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • We're breaking new ground and learning what it will take to be successful delivering our products - plenty of growing pains (in 7 reviews)

• Salary inequality, career growth constraints (in 5 reviews)

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture. Mission. Quality Products. Quality people. We hold ourself to high standards, set, meet and exceed our goals. Thoughtfully look to the future and how else we can build or improve products for the student journey. Best company I've ever worked for. Amazing leadership.

Cons

It's not really a 'con' unless you are lazy;

In order to meet and exceed our goals we need to hire the best, be the best and keep the best and sometimes that can come with stress and pressure. If you want to work at a company where you can hide or get lost, Chegg is not for you. Every person's work adds value, matters and is noticed.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Best Company Ever!!"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Freedom: The first benefit came up to my mind is the freedom. I have full freedom and autonomy to speak up my ideas without fear and am also able to implement them. This is the most important element for my career. I feel myself being recognized and the work I have done being appreciated by the company. It motivates me even more to do a better job. Unlike those giant big companies, Chegg allow me to own and manage a product, where I can expose myself to a wide range of scopes. This is hardly found in anywhere else.

2. Innovation: Chegg embrace innovation and continuous improvement. Whenever I found areas needed enhancement, I'm not afraid to voice out, even to the senior leadership team (Not much ranking or bureaucracy at Chegg). The company really appreciate employees who bring in new aspects to the current practice and encourage everyone to challenge the existing process and make it better.

3. Work life balance: Chegg really treat us as adults. We never monitor when employees come into work, how long they work and where they work etc. As long as we get our work done, that is what matters the most!

4. Culture: Everyone here is very nice and down to earth. We're like a family where we help each other to succeed.

Other soft perks are nice and clean office, unlimited snacks, free lunch, onsite fitness, adjustable desk and super comfy chair, etc.

Cons

Can't think of any. I'm looking forward to seeing our company move to the next level!

"Terrific company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mission focused, extremely friendly co-workers, great workspace, great benefits, not hierarchical. We set goals, measure ourselves, and achieve results

Cons

Working with teams in Israel, India, and Ukraine is overall a positive thing as it makes our workforce more diverse. But as everyone knows, trying to schedule meetings and dealing with time zones can be a pain. It makes communication limited.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Great Company, Great Experience"

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Development opportunities, solid engagement of the C-team with the staff, work life balance with plenty of benefits and extra perks (like gym, daily lunches, subsidized care.com, and One Medical)

Cons

Some misalignment between cross-functional teams lead to extra work there needs to be more collaboration between functions. I think this is a growing pain of a mid-sized company and this is being worked on.

Advice to Management

Keep the Chegg culture strong as new companies come into the fold.

"Revolutionary in the Tech Education space with an incredible Mission"

Current Employee - Tech Leader in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Tech Leader in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time

Pros

Chegg is on an incredible mission. As a tech leader, it is quite a rewarding experience when you find a company that is changing and revolutionizing an important cause. Such is Chegg. Chegg is redefining the student experience, through it's product, services and technology. Imagine contributing to the team that helps students with their course reviews, or gets tutoring help or saves students money through renting textbooks, or with writing tools. It's an incredible cause and mission, and through it's product and technology, helps re-define the student experience.

Cons

It's going to be challenging, no doubt about it. With a critical mission and building great products and services, it's not simple or everyone would do it. There are mountains to climb, and you may take a step back every now and then or even fall. But when you eventually reach the top with each and every product launch and see the rewards from the student perspective, it's exhilarating and there nothing quite like being part of revolutionizing a space and making education continuously better.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in our products and people. Invest in the people that believe in our mission and if folks are here for just a job, then it's not the right environment for them. It's much more effective with a team of highly qualified, energetic and passionate people.

"working at Chegg"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great work life balance and friendly management.

Cons

some processes can not completely set in place.

Advice to Management

streamline processes

8. "Supply Chain Intern"

Former Intern - Supply Chain Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Intern - Supply Chain Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good working environment and company culture! The interns are given impactful projects and I felt like a full-time employee!

Cons

I was working on a project that mattered for my team, but I felt too isolated from their day-to-day tasks during the peak period. But it's hard to on-board an intern for day-to-day tasks for only a summer!

Advice to Management

Keep doing such a good intern program, and maybe add some more networking opportunities for the interns, and some 1-on-1 events for resume review or interview preparation for example, in order to tailor it more to the needs of every intern.

"Top Internship For College Students"

Current Intern - Marketing Generalist in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Intern - Marketing Generalist in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Chegg is an incredible place to intern as a college student. Because we are their customer, we have a lot of say in the initiatives that are pursued by the company. They listen very closely to what the interns have to say, which I think is rare for a public company. Everyone at Chegg is friendly and is more than happy to answer any and all questions. The manager of the intern program arranges awesome events for us like foodie tours in San Fransicsco, trips to the giants game, and classes on negotiation. I could not have asked for a better internship experience.

Cons

I couldn't find any downsides of working for Chegg. There was never a day that I was counting down the hours till I could go home. Everyday flew by because I was not only busy but I was also having a ton of fun.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Great Culture!"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch
    Intelligent Coworkers/Passionate about winning
    Pay/Benefits
    Environment

Cons

Depending on your team, your experience can be extremely positive or negative. I love my team, it's hard work, but as a whole everyone seems to be very helpful and enthusiastic.

Advice to Management

Be fair across the board, keep top engineering and tutoring talent as most the negative reviews come from 1.) engineers 2.) non-domestic tutors

11. "Amazing Internship"

Current Intern - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Intern - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Chegg treats their interns so well! Since it is a smaller company, you will see your contributions actually being used. Chegg makes sure to schedule a good combination of fun and informative intern events as well

Cons

No real downside of working for this company. Only complaints I have heard from fulltime employees mostly have to do with difference in personality (i.e. I don't get along with my boss), but this doesn't seem to be the norm, and is common in most companies.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The one-on-one attention and chances to speak with executive officers were so valuable!