Chegg Reviews in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

4.6
Chegg President and CEO Dan Rosensweig
Dan Rosensweig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance: Chegg really treat us as adults (in 25 reviews)

• Incredibly smart User Research team, free lunch/snack/drinks, fun environment, and approachable CEO (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • We're breaking new ground and learning what it will take to be successful delivering our products - plenty of growing pains (in 7 reviews)

• Unclear expectations and little career growth opportunities (in 6 reviews)

1. "Relaxed environment but with little growth"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are collaborative, friendly, and helpful.

Base pay and benefits are pretty good. They provide lunch/drinks/snacks.

Work/life balance is generally good - if you know what you're doing, you can get away with a 35-40 hour workweek. They have an unlimited vacation policy and don't discourage employees from taking lots of vacation; however this places an added burden on the people who do not take much vacation. You may also be expected to pull some long hours if it's a busy time or if your manager screws up and you have to work double time to fix it. But generally it's okay and the hours are flexible.

The stock was depressed for a long time, but is now at fair value or perhaps a bit too high. This was great if you invested at the right time and got a nice payout, however it also means there is little upside remaining.

Cons

There are no bonuses for rank-and-file employees. There are very few promotions. This is no longer a growth company, and the few promotions that happen are political - it entirely depends on whether your manager has influence with leadership - and as a result the small number of promotions disproportionately go to Directors. There is no transparency around employee growth. This combination of factors results in essentially no incentive to work hard if you're a rank-and-file employee.

Due to the limited performance requirements and the lack of career or financial opportunity, most high performers end up leaving after a couple of years, while the mediocre employees remain. As a result, the overall quality of talent is average. But there are also a lot of big egos here.

Advice to Management

While there is some appeal to the relaxed culture of this company, the lack of incentives result in a lack of motivation and poor talent retention in your workforce. You may want to drastically rethink your compensation and employee growth philosophies if you have any desire to retain your top talent.

"Incredibly valuable opportunity"

Former Intern - Brand Marketing Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Intern - Brand Marketing Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg as an intern

Pros

I spent this past summer interning at Chegg, and I could not have had a better experience. Chegg's intern program is extremely unique; I have never seen interns treated with such respect and value. Unlike my previous several internships, I was able to actually lead several of my own projects. What I’ve learned the most is just how fulfilling it is to build great things with a team that is really passionate about the mission. The Chegg culture is so unique in that this energy can be felt from every level of the company; from the executives to the interns, everyone is genuinely passionate about helping students. I’ve not only learned a lot, but I’ve also had a ton of fun in general! I highly recommend the Chegg Intern program to anyone who may be interested.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any -- it's truly an amazing work environment.

"Couldn't have hoped for better"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

- Being a female engineer (especially a junior one) in the company, I never feel slighted at all. I was warmly welcomed and was given a fair amount of responsibility!
    - Company is large enough to provide stability and mentorship, yet small enough to make an impact
    - Positive culture: friendly and trustful
    - Great work life balance

Cons

- Sometimes too many meetings, even just working as an intern
    - Hard to coordinate with remote engineering teams, it is normally the case for any company

"Progressive Awesomeness!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Autonomy
    -Personal and Professional Growth
    -Perks
    -Compensation
    -Collaborative

Overall my experience at Chegg has been rewarding. I love the team that I work on, and also enjoy working with my colleagues they are all incredibly bright and passionate about our mission.

Cons

As a company begins to scale, there have been a few minor Roblox. Otherwise this is not a true con, but rather an opportunity for growth.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"It's a great time to be at Chegg!"

Current Employee - Director in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mission driven company with excellent growth potential. The brand has become synonymous with putting students first and is easily recognizable by the target audience. The company has completed it's transition to all digital which is driving high growth. Chegg conducts an employee engagement survey annually and uses the feedback to improve daily life at the company. The benefits and perks are equal to larger companies. Time off is flexible and work life balance really exists!

Cons

US and international acquisitions have resulted in additional complexity and non-standard systems/applications. Can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep focus on mission. As soon as possible integrate acquisitions into standardized processes.

"One of the Best In The Business"

Former Intern - SEO Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Intern - SEO Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg as an intern

Pros

Chegg is an extremely nourishing environment, especially for an intern. I learned more at my internship at Chegg than I have from two years of college. Everyone there, even the C-Levels, cares about each employee, and it is evident. If you like the idea of working relentlessly towards a mission alongside 700 other employees, Chegg is the place for you.

Cons

The only downside to Chegg is how excited everyone is. Communication sometimes falters because each employee is so focused on their individual projects.

"Fantastic Company"

Former Intern - Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg as an intern

Pros

Awesome mission that management strives to achieve, putting students first. Interns are given meaningful work and great perks, not to mention, it's a great culture to work in. Interns are highly valued and their feedback is invaluable to management

Cons

Not very many. The intern program is superb, but perhaps more events to interact and network with full-time employees outside of your team.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating, Chegg Study and Chegg Tutors are brilliant products that are destined to dominate the market and put students first!

"Fantastic Company!!"

Current Employee - Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission, fun atmosphere, company encourages work-life balance with flexible work hours, employee benefits competitive with other larger, Silicon Valley companies. One of the best companies I have worked for in the last 15 years.

Cons

None- Great company that listens to feedback and tries to make changes for the better. See increasing stock price!

"Review about Chegg"

Current Intern - Data Scientist Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Intern - Data Scientist Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture and people
    Very supportive management
    Creativity is encouraged and they the the interns seriously

Cons

Nothing that I can think of

"Our place rocks"

Current Employee - Manager, Finance and Accounting in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Manager, Finance and Accounting in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great open culture, mission based, helping kids learn and improve outcomes, super friendly, CEO really engaged and passionate - best place I have ever worked at

Cons

We sometimes have too many meetings, open environment while collaborate, can get distracting

Advice to Management

Keep focused