Chegg Tutor Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Chegg President and CEO Dan Rosensweig
Dan Rosensweig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Values work-life balance, company is in super high growth mode with lots of runway" (in 30 reviews)

• "Nice place to work from home by earning in free time" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "No cons except that in few months flow of questions is low" (in 12 reviews)

• "There is no transparency about pay/hierarchy/career growth on the marketing team" (in 9 reviews)

"Flexible, lots of available jobs, peak during school season"

Current Freelancer - Online Tutor in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Freelancer - Online Tutor in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg (More than a year)

Pros

Easy money to be earned, lots of opportunities

Cons

Occasional issues with payments for customers and sometimes technical support can be difficult to reach.

"Tutor"

Current Contractor - Tutor in Orlando, FL
    Current Contractor - Tutor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Chegg as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I love tutoring for Chegg. I just joined about two days ago. So far, I've already made over $100. While there may not be a lot of lessons available for other fields, I found that there are many opportunities for math (especially Statistics) tutors. They pay $20/hour.

Cons

Sometimes the site glitches and you lose lessons because Chegg doesn't load properly.
    A lot of students who message you do not actually want to pay for help and waste your time.

"Tutor"

Current Employee - Tutor in Galesburg, IL
    Current Employee - Tutor in Galesburg, IL

I have been working at Chegg part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy and pays well. Can learn a lot due to its variety of challenges.

Cons

Sometimes there are no opportunities. Many fraud students as well.

4. "Tutor"

Current Contractor - Tutor

I have been working at Chegg as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of any Pros

Cons

Arrogant and overly critical staff. Many workers are outsourced overseas and it is extremely difficult to communicate with these workers unless you speak their language. There is often much that is lost in trnslation.

5. "Exploitation Maximus"

Current Freelancer - Tutor
    Current Freelancer - Tutor

I have been working at Chegg (More than a year)

Pros

Can't really think of any

Cons

This company exploits tutors every chance it gets.
    Low pay, high responsibility.
    Precarious review-based status.

6. "Decent Pay for Inconsistent Work Opoortunities"

Current Contractor - Tutor

I have been working at Chegg as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Convenient, Straight-forward, Easy to set your own hours...

Cons

Hard to work consistently, Highly competitive...

7. "Seems like a good company, but hard to get hours"

Current Freelancer - Math Tutor
    Current Freelancer - Math Tutor

Pros

Work when you want to. Pay is decent if you can get sessions.

Cons

Almost every time I accept a lesson that is sent out to everyone, it says someone else has already accepted it. This makes it very difficult to get an hours to get paid. So, while the pay per hour is good, I'm not making much money because I can't get hours!

Advice to Management

Let new tutors have earlier access to general requests so they can get more reviews on their profile. This way, they will be able to get people to specifically request them from their profile instead of having to rely on the difficult to get general requests.

"Unsatisfied Tutor"

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Chegg part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is excellent - $20 an hour, paid weekly via Paypal. I find that my lessons are usually more in-depth, and I've built up a few students that I work with on a weekly or even daily basis which keeps cash flow. I love watching my regular students improve their English over time, as I get a ton of ESL students wanting help with writing.

Cons

The population of tutors vs. students using the service is way too dense. Recently, Chegg said they wanted to help with this by clearing out tutors with bad reviews and requiring new tutors to pass a subject exam before being onboarded (the exam is only 10 questions so it's hardly rigorous). However, there are still way too many tutors. Students are not routed to you - they post their request on what is basically a message board, and then every tutor logged on who wants to help can reply to the posting via message, basically swamping the student with 20+ requests to choose from and hoping you get picked. A lot of times, the students want you to work for free or just want answers to the questions without doing any actual work. This would be much more enjoyable if I didn't have to compete against thousands of other tutors to get one student.

Advice to Management

Clear out the tutor community and have more rigorous hiring standards so us good tutors with good reviews have more opportunities to get work and get paid. Look at the model that Tutor.com uses - I also work with them and have no shortage of work. In fact, I get students routed TO ME! Also, work on recruiting more students to the service so that there's more work. Too many tutors and not enough students means I spend 12 hours a day on the site to hopefully make $30-$40, if I'm lucky. Most days it's more like $10 or $20, mostly thanks to my repeat students. Show more appreciation to us tutors who bring you more money and repeat clients. MAKE THIS LESS DENSE!

"One of the Best Remote Tutoring Sites"

Current Freelancer - Tutor in Remote, OR
    Current Freelancer - Tutor in Remote, OR

I have been working at Chegg (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working with students. Most are really nice. Their system is organized and efficient. It's good pocket money. They pay every week. You really need to be skilled in your subject area if you want good reviews.

Cons

It's difficult to find work and the income isn't stable. They probably hire way too many tutors. It's good for extra income when you have free time. During "peak season" you can make about $100 a week if you're available at least 20hours. You have to sit and wait for jobs. So it's good if you work online and you can work in between other projects. Otherwise it would not be worth it. Bad reviews can also hurt your chance at finding work. Also they can improve thier text editor to make it more like a google drive sharing document.

"Don't Fix What Isn't Broken"

Current Contractor - Online Tutor
    Current Contractor - Online Tutor

I have been working at Chegg as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

You make money, if you're lucky.

Cons

-You work with an extremely unreliable platform. Sometimes you aren't able to submit or give lessons because the site breaks. Sometimes students are unable to contact you, and sometimes you are unable to access the site at all.
    -The company will arbitrarily change policy without adequate warning.
    -As a tutor, you are at the mercy of the student. Students are allowed to abuse you, and can hold the threat of reporting you over your head, and Chegg will side with the student 100% of the time.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Stop changing policies in a way that makes it difficult for tutors to actually tutor.