Chegg Tutor Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Chegg President and CEO Dan Rosensweig
Dan Rosensweig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Values work-life balance, company is in super high growth mode with lots of runway" (in 30 reviews)

• "Nice place to work from home by earning in free time" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "No cons except that in few months flow of questions is low" (in 12 reviews)

• "There is no transparency about pay/hierarchy/career growth on the marketing team" (in 9 reviews)

"Tutor"

Current Contractor - Tutor in Orlando, FL
    Current Contractor - Tutor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Chegg as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I love tutoring for Chegg. I just joined about two days ago. So far, I've already made over $100. While there may not be a lot of lessons available for other fields, I found that there are many opportunities for math (especially Statistics) tutors. They pay $20/hour.

Cons

Sometimes the site glitches and you lose lessons because Chegg doesn't load properly.
    A lot of students who message you do not actually want to pay for help and waste your time.

2. "Tutor (not what the job description states)"

Current Contractor - Chegg Tutor
    Current Contractor - Chegg Tutor

I have been working at Chegg as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I haven't experienced any pros of working for Chegg.

Cons

1.) Like most dissatisfied tutors, I agree that Chegg's student to tutor ratio is extremely imbalanced; there's a surplus of tutors and not enough students. They haven't done anything to improve this problem.

2.) There's very little support for tutors. The first week, you're granted access to chat with a "real" support rep. (However, I tried chatting with one when I needed help, and I never received a response). Afterward, you only have the option to search for help in their "support center." (You have the option of emailing them from the support center, but they'll get back to you in 1-2 days.)

3.) When you start tutoring, you are not granted the option to do written lessons. For someone like me who tutors English, not being able to write a lesson is a major hindrance. Instead, new tutors are limited to only performing live lessons. When I asked Chegg about this, they said that tutors had to "earn" the ability to perform written lessons - meaning, you need to be tutoring on the site for a certain amount of time and need a certain percentage of positive student reviews. So, good luck starting out if your subject(s) sometimes needs to be taught using written lessons.

4.) They don't send students directly to you. In order for tutors to get students, you need to constantly monitor the "opportunities" page where student requests are posted to ALL tutors. You (and everybody else) then have the option to message a student. However, most requests are claimed in 10 seconds or so. The first tutor that sees a request typically claims it without reading the student's message. If that tutor can't help the student, the request appears back in the forum. And the whole hectic process repeats.

5.) You can't actually work when you want to. Activity on the site ebbs and flows with the school year, so it's pretty much dead in the summer. The start of the school year isn't much better. (When no "opportunities" are posted, a message appears that says: "Grab a coffee and check back later!") I've been logged in for an entire day before with only one or two student requests. According to Chegg's support center, their most active times are Thursday-Sunday from 2pm to 10pm (So, basically nights and weekends).

6.) Their $20 an hour pay seems decent for an online tutoring service. However, the platform is so structurally dysfunctional that earning a decent paycheck from this company is impossible.

Advice to Management

Offer training for new tutors. Restructure your tutor to student ratio. Write a more realistic job description for the Chegg tutor position.

"Tutor"

Current Employee - Tutor in Galesburg, IL
    Current Employee - Tutor in Galesburg, IL

I have been working at Chegg part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy and pays well. Can learn a lot due to its variety of challenges.

Cons

Sometimes there are no opportunities. Many fraud students as well.

4. "Tutor"

Current Contractor - Tutor

I have been working at Chegg as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of any Pros

Cons

Arrogant and overly critical staff. Many workers are outsourced overseas and it is extremely difficult to communicate with these workers unless you speak their language. There is often much that is lost in trnslation.

5. "Exploitation Maximus"

Current Freelancer - Tutor
    Current Freelancer - Tutor

I have been working at Chegg (More than a year)

Pros

Can't really think of any

Cons

This company exploits tutors every chance it gets.
    Low pay, high responsibility.
    Precarious review-based status.

6. "Decent Pay for Inconsistent Work Opoortunities"

I have been working at Chegg as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Convenient, Straight-forward, Easy to set your own hours...

Cons

Hard to work consistently, Highly competitive...

7. "Seems like a good company, but hard to get hours"

Current Freelancer - Math Tutor
    Current Freelancer - Math Tutor

Pros

Work when you want to. Pay is decent if you can get sessions.

Cons

Almost every time I accept a lesson that is sent out to everyone, it says someone else has already accepted it. This makes it very difficult to get an hours to get paid. So, while the pay per hour is good, I'm not making much money because I can't get hours!

Advice to Management

Let new tutors have earlier access to general requests so they can get more reviews on their profile. This way, they will be able to get people to specifically request them from their profile instead of having to rely on the difficult to get general requests.

"Unsatisfied Tutor"

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Chegg part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is excellent - $20 an hour, paid weekly via Paypal. I find that my lessons are usually more in-depth, and I've built up a few students that I work with on a weekly or even daily basis which keeps cash flow. I love watching my regular students improve their English over time, as I get a ton of ESL students wanting help with writing.

Cons

The population of tutors vs. students using the service is way too dense. Recently, Chegg said they wanted to help with this by clearing out tutors with bad reviews and requiring new tutors to pass a subject exam before being onboarded (the exam is only 10 questions so it's hardly rigorous). However, there are still way too many tutors. Students are not routed to you - they post their request on what is basically a message board, and then every tutor logged on who wants to help can reply to the posting via message, basically swamping the student with 20+ requests to choose from and hoping you get picked. A lot of times, the students want you to work for free or just want answers to the questions without doing any actual work. This would be much more enjoyable if I didn't have to compete against thousands of other tutors to get one student.

Advice to Management

Clear out the tutor community and have more rigorous hiring standards so us good tutors with good reviews have more opportunities to get work and get paid. Look at the model that Tutor.com uses - I also work with them and have no shortage of work. In fact, I get students routed TO ME! Also, work on recruiting more students to the service so that there's more work. Too many tutors and not enough students means I spend 12 hours a day on the site to hopefully make $30-$40, if I'm lucky. Most days it's more like $10 or $20, mostly thanks to my repeat students. Show more appreciation to us tutors who bring you more money and repeat clients. MAKE THIS LESS DENSE!

"One of the Best Remote Tutoring Sites"

Current Freelancer - Tutor in Remote, OR
    Current Freelancer - Tutor in Remote, OR

I have been working at Chegg (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working with students. Most are really nice. Their system is organized and efficient. It's good pocket money. They pay every week. You really need to be skilled in your subject area if you want good reviews.

Cons

It's difficult to find work and the income isn't stable. They probably hire way too many tutors. It's good for extra income when you have free time. During "peak season" you can make about $100 a week if you're available at least 20hours. You have to sit and wait for jobs. So it's good if you work online and you can work in between other projects. Otherwise it would not be worth it. Bad reviews can also hurt your chance at finding work. Also they can improve thier text editor to make it more like a google drive sharing document.

"Don't Fix What Isn't Broken"

Current Contractor - Online Tutor
    Current Contractor - Online Tutor

I have been working at Chegg as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

You make money, if you're lucky.

Cons

-You work with an extremely unreliable platform. Sometimes you aren't able to submit or give lessons because the site breaks. Sometimes students are unable to contact you, and sometimes you are unable to access the site at all.
    -The company will arbitrarily change policy without adequate warning.
    -As a tutor, you are at the mercy of the student. Students are allowed to abuse you, and can hold the threat of reporting you over your head, and Chegg will side with the student 100% of the time.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Stop changing policies in a way that makes it difficult for tutors to actually tutor.