ChemPoint.com Reviews in Bellevue, WA | Glassdoor

Updated November 8, 2017

Bellevue, WA

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Customer service dept has a very high turnover rate and it is frustrating to have good people leave because of lower pay (in 11 reviews)

• Low pay and annual increases are less then the cost of living (1-2%) (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great place to start a career and have an impact"

Former Employee - Finance in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Finance in Bellevue, WA

I worked at ChemPoint.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to make decisions and influence business practices in the company
    Decent Pay
    Fun place to work with dynamic atmosphere

Cons

Lack of leadership due to management experience

2. "Lots of potential if you are patient"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at ChemPoint.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ChemPoint is a great company for those who are patient and reasonable with their expectations. There is room for people to move up and around after they have proven themselves in their existing position. Good place for those who are looking for a high-energy, changing environment. I am never bored - and my day goes quickly. It is a fairly "young" company with many people in their 20's, but there are also older employees and many with longevity. I recommend ChemPoint to those who like a team environment - but who also enjoy achieving individual goals.

Cons

Training can be spotty and a little too short. Commission structure (in the sales team) is being changed after being changed about 9 months ago which does not lend itself to making people feel secure or rewarded for hard work. Customer service dept has a very high turnover rate and it is frustrating to have good people leave because of lower pay.

Advice to Management

Do not punish sales people who achieve their quota by changing the commission rates - reward them for making their goals! Pay CS people more so they stay longer and you have less turnover.

"Smoke and mirrors"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at ChemPoint.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As part of the Univar family, Chempoint as been able to assemble a highly desirable portfolio of product lines in a cross-section of industries. Sellers can count on having lots of opportunities to move product.

Cons

Because so much of the business is handed to them by either parent company Univar or its big name suppliers, the corporate culture is akin to the attitude of a spoiled teenager who never had to work for anything but has everything.

Customer service at this place is a disgrace. If you are a seller, you can count on constantly putting out fires and smoothing things over with angry customers. Service failures are the absolute norm and not the exception. There is no passion among the leadership of the company to push for operational excellence.

If you value your professional reputation, think twice about affiliating with this organization.

Advice to Management

Bring in stronger leadership on the operations team. Pay for quality customer service reps and give them pathways for advancement to help retain valuable talent and experience.

Most importantly, stop buying your own B.S. about how somehow your company is different and special and doing something radically different. You really aren't, and if you want to, pretending you are won't get you there. It's okay to admit you are failing miserably and decide to try something new.

"Customer Solution Specialist"

Former Employee - Customer Solutions Specialist in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Solutions Specialist in Bellevue, WA

I worked at ChemPoint.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with is a great crowd, a lot of fresh out of college people. They provide a lot free food but it's to cover up how horrible your job is.

Cons

This role has the most turnovers out of any department. People are impressed if you last 6 month. If are good at your job your punish by getting so much work you can't handle it. I've seen people crying at work at least once a week by either the amount of stress or by their managers who don't know what their actually doing. The customers are beyond rude and upper management does not care at all.

Advice to Management

Do not micromanage your workers you have no idea what we do on a daily basis and are excepting so much from us with horrible pay. Increase pay significantly to your workers, this is not a customer service role but an operational role.

5. "Finance and Credit Intern"

Former Employee - Finance Intern in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Finance Intern in Bellevue, WA

I worked at ChemPoint.com (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, great first or second job, low stress, friendly environment. Everyone is very willing to help you learn and walk you through your responsibilities. Easy to move within the company when a position opens

Cons

Fairly repetitive day to day activities and there is a large turn over, many people use it as a starting place, very low paying.

Advice to Management

Determine a way to reduce turn over at the company, increasing salaries may help with this

"Too proud and inward looking to see the world change"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at ChemPoint.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to meet young and ambitious people.

Cons

Poor company to witness or learn modern-day business management.

Advice to Management

Look beyond the four walls of an old building, declining industry and try to adapt to change. Innovate, not just survive.

"Chempoint, much like life, is what you make of it"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at ChemPoint.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hi there prospective job candidate, curious onlooker, or disgruntled former employee! I'm sure you're taking a brief break from your mountain of Linked In In-mails to read the latest happenings at your local Seattle area specialty chemical distributor. Well sit back, relax, and enjoy the candid life advice and job insights I'm about to bestow upon you based on my 5 years and counting at Chempoint. The answer is no, I was not paid or encouraged to write this at all!

-Chempoint is a really, really good place to learn. I'm sure you got A's in all of your middle school sales classes. I'm 100% certain you have mastered the art of negotiation. There is no doubt in my mind you can engage an individual, conduct a thorough discovery, build value with your contact, and gain commitment such that they repeatedly hand you money. For everyone else in the world without these life experiences, Chempoint is an amazing place to learn this. Where else can you, right out of college, be handed ~4-8 MM $ in territory sales and be asked to grow it, and even succeed in doing so? If you're looking for a place to learn and for a culture that is relatively kind to once-made mistakes (unlike many other sales organizations), then Chempoint is the place to do this.

-The pay schedules have been restructured, and are even *gasp* fair for the work being done! Now even I am self-aware enough to know that this comment might draw the ire of current employees, especially ones that are feeling overworked and underpaid. My answer, as with everything in sales, is that you need to control your own destiny through effective negotiation. At Chempoint, and in life in general, you will be paid based on your ability to prove your value. I have found that those who are able to be a team player, but assertively insist and prove their value to management are compensated well. This becomes a virtuous cycle. Those who need a change right now, or cannot handle a change in the scope of their work, or lack the ability to clearly convey their value feel poorly compensated, and that becomes a destructive cycle. Do other jobs pay more in Seattle? You bet. Have I known other people to leave Chempoint for those jobs and the experience at the new workplace was a bit different than advertised? Absolutely, not always, but about 50% of the time. The reality is if your pay at Chempoint is not satisfactory, then you are not a good negotiator. There, I said it.

-Despite recent headlines, the chemical industry is a fairly stable one. Imagine for a moment you're working at a tech company slinging ad space and you're talking to a prospective customer. How many competitors do you think you might encounter? How many alternative forms of advertisement do you think there are for that customer to choose from? How robust are advertising budgets during recessionary periods? Now, instead of ads, we're talking about industrial chemicals. The reality is that the American chemical industry is old, consolidated, and essential for the production of just about everything. You'll see sellers come and go saying Chempoint isn't real sales. Why do they say that? In some cases, the customer doesn't have a choice, they simply have to buy from you. In other cases, the choices are limited to a few options, you being one of them. If you're looking for a Boiler Room style sales role, this is not it. You can make this it, but this is fundamentally not it. The chemical industry is a stable industry that you can actually count on to be fairly robust and profitable at any point in the cycle. I've seen at other companies, with my own eyes, IT budgets slashed, marketing teams terminated, production and freight roles completely automated. The chemical space is a uniquely human, robust, profitable, and essential space in our economy, unlike some portions of the tech industry. I'm not saying you or Chempoint will have your destinies intertwined whenever the next financial draw down arrives, but when it does, you'll find the old chemical industry keeps chugging along while your high flying tech friends are out on the street dialing in weekly to the Department of Labor for that unemployment check, I've seen it with my own eyes.

-People at Chempoint actually care, some do not. In every job I've been in, there is always a group of people who care, and a group of people who do not. To be precise, there are those who care too much, those who care enough, and those who care too little. To be frank, at Chempoint and everywhere else in the world, you will be unhappy if you care too much or too little. You need to care enough. What has personally kept me at Chempoint is that I have gravitated towards the people that care enough, and thoroughly enjoy the fleeting supernova burnout warmth of those who care too much. People who care enough understand that mistakes will happen, and they can be overcome. People who care enough recognize that something out of your control affected your sales numbers, and provide next steps. People that care enough acknowledge you need to catch that 5pm flight on Friday, and accept that you flexed some hours on Thursday to account for your early weekend departure. People that care too much, or not enough, usually lack this elusive ability to see that everything is a shade of gray requiring thought and energy. I am thoroughly appreciative that not all, but at least the people in the roles that matter, care enough. Sales can be a difficult job where sometimes caring enough is forgotten, and you don't realize it until you head to a place where that's not the case. Care enough here, or anywhere you go for that matter. Care enough.

Cons

-You may get fired or quit. Hey, let's be real for a moment. This job is not for everyone; in fact some people will say that they're the normal ones and it's the job that is flawed. Either way, both you and the company may part ways.That's ok. That's normal. Maybe it was your attitude. Maybe you just weren't good at what you did. Maybe you think this kind of work is worthless. Maybe you feel like people are out to get you. Maybe you think the model is flawed. Sales, as you will find if you do not know already, is by definition a high turnover role. You could literally fill football stadiums with transient salespeople. Chempoint has salespeople that have spent and worked their way up for over a decade in the company. Chempoint also has salespeople that quit in their first week. You'll find out very quickly if you are meant for sales. The job of managers is to find out during the hiring process if you are meant for sales, so that they don't have to painfully decide that for you after you're already on the job 1 year in. You can make a lot of money in sales, have a lot of fun, learn a lot, and even secretly look forward to each day. You can also dread every waking moment. It's all about fit. That's what they mean when they talk about you being a good fit or not a good fit.

-Seattle is a tech city, and the pay is lower than tech job base salaries. Check out my discussion about this re: stability in the Pro's section above. It's all a trade-off. I have friends at Amazon, Microsoft, Expedia, Zillow, Google, and beyond these established players whatever happens to be the tech start-up du jour. The first thing you realize is that it's a small world, and you'll run into these people again and again. The second thing you realize is every company has their own culture. Chempoint's culture is that of what is viewed as slightly below market pay, pretty generous benefits, flexible work hours. I'll address each. The pay, in my opinion, is fair for the work. I also am a decent negotiator. I know others at the company feel underpaid compared to the tech industry. Guess what? You are underpaid compared to the tech industry. Compared to the insurance industry, you are overpaid. Compared to the recruiting industry, you are overpaid. Compared to the retail industry, you are overpaid. The lesson here is that you need to understand your industry, as the sun rises and sets on each of them over and over again. The benefits are actually pretty generous. There is a 4% retirement that vests immediately. The company also matches another 4% that vests after 3 years. Health insurance, life insurance, bus pass, paid parking, annual merit increases, quarterly bonuses, all are pretty nice. This leads to explaining the flexible work hours. I have never before seen a company so understanding of you being able to flex hours to conduct personal business. Put in your weekly hours, get your job done, flex if you need. wow. This bullet is a con, so yeah, you may feel your pay is too little. Negotiate wisely.

Advice to Management

-I'd like to see more so the rewarding of those who perform well within their roles, despite some camps calling for a more modest across the board improvement for all salespeople

-When will employees be able to earn restricted shares of Univar stock?

-Spend more time in the new database to understand its friction points

-Tweek the sales incentive program to be more risk/reward for next year's iteration; right now it's too conservative

8. "Great Stepping Stone Job!"

Current Intern - Marketing and Sales in Bellevue, WA
    Current Intern - Marketing and Sales in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at ChemPoint.com as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great first job or internship experience, friendly environment, young people, helpful colleagues, overall proactive teams, supported by Univar, awesome building with a nice view, a lot of free food which is always a bonus!

Cons

Some tasks are redundant, inside sales so not as much hands on experience

9. "Hunger games with chemicals"

Former Employee - Industry Representative in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Industry Representative in Bellevue, WA

Pros

The pros of working at Chempoint was cutting edge operating platforms, interesting technical products to support, smart people.

Cons

The biggest cons working at Chempoint is the over emphasis of metrics across the organization without regard for differences between products/responsibilities.

Advice to Management

work to create a culture of innovation and trust.

10. "Easy job but inconsistent goals"

Current Employee - Market Developer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Market Developer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at ChemPoint.com full-time

Pros

Lots of freedom to grow and manage your own territory
    Reasonable pay based on the actual job
    Low accountability and expectations that can be met easily
    Fun coworkers
    Free parking and food

Cons

Inconsistent objectives from management
    Promotion is more about outlasting peers than the quality of your actual work
    Employees constantly leaving and being fired, none of which were surprises
    Poor communication from managers about sales goals, areas for growth, and career development

Advice to Management

Figure out what you want and communicate a consistent message to the entire staff. We are willing to work much harder than you ask us to, but have almost no idea what that means because the goals are constantly changing. I do not think that my managers have any idea of what happens on our team and they do not value us at all, which is very unfortunate.