Chemical Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Chemical Bank President and CEO Thomas Shafer
Thomas Shafer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good Benefits, even those available to temporary employees (in 8 reviews)

• Hours, coworkers, community involvement, location (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and benefits are ok not great (in 9 reviews)

• do more work for less pay than other banks, poor raises and little room for advancement (in 4 reviews)

1. "Just keeps getting better!"

I have been working at Chemical Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company continues to evolve; works hard to stay relevant to customers, community, and provide an environment where team members can contribute their strengths to making a difference in the lives of many. Benefits and pay are great, and are regularly evaluated and benchmarked against the industry. We're seeing a cultural shift, and it is amazingly empowering, and brings great unity to the team.

Cons

Change is not always easy, and for some people it can be very challenging. This company is well suited for those that enjoy be a part of creating and building new processes, updating technology, evaluating products and services, and always looking for better ways to service our customers. If you're looking for routine, monotonous, static, and never changing, this probably isn't the best place for you.

Advice to Management

This is advice to managers of all organizations: set clear expectations, foster an environment where team members can voice concerns and where suggestions are valued, tie individual goals back to organizational goals, give feedback often, remember to say "thank you" and appreciate team members, share information, utilize the strengths of our workforce, value contributions, address concerns as they happen, make time to train and develop individuals, have team meetings and foster comradery and collaboration, and foster an environment of trust.

"Amazing Company - Spread the Word!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at Chemical Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Chemical Bank is an amazing company that puts their customers and team members first. Creating an excellent experience from the first outreach. As team members we are encouraged to give back to the community. The company supports these activities by granting approved time away from work to participate in activities. Everyone is encouraged to be empowered and make a difference every day. The company is growing and has many outstanding opportunities. Spread the word!! Benefits are exceptional. If you want to be part of a growing company that values its team members Chemical Bank is the place.

Cons

Continue to work on getting our brand out to the communities.

Advice to Management

Continue to spread the word about Chemical Bank - be ambassadors.

"Over worked, under paid"

Current Employee - Mortgage Pre Processor in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Mortgage Pre Processor in Troy, MI

I have been working at Chemical Bank full-time

Pros

Awesome supervisor, and their supervisor is great. The environment is casual and allows for flex time which is always a perk!

Cons

Crap pay. They want experience but they aren't willing to pay for it. Sad really, just not good business if you ask me. You do get what you pay for!

Advice to Management

Constructive criticism and don't keep taking away incentives

"Teller"

I worked at Chemical Bank full-time

Pros

Hours, coworkers, community involvement, location

Cons

Merger, former talmer employees, pay

5. "Future Credit Analysts Beware"

Former Employee - Credit Analyst
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst

Pros

-Above average benefits including health, dental, and vision insurance
    -Good 401k match
    -Above average PTO allotment although new analysts don’t get as much as legacy employees
    -Great lending team

Cons

-Complete lack of quality managers at all levels of credit department
    -Management only concerned with internal politics, stifling creative and critical thought, keeping the status quo, and stroking egos
    -No thoughtfulness to training, development, and well rounded experience
    -Cut an internal leadership development program for analysts to reduce costs
    -Already overburdened credit management find time to send petty emails to subordinates instead of fixing obvious roadblocks to department improvements

Advice to Management

Until a significant change in credit management is made, I can’t recommend and strongly advise against any future analysts from joining the bank. Hopeful that the Talmer merger will continue to push for constructive change and improvement.

"Trash Pay & Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, MI

I have been working at Chemical Bank part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Majority of the employees are easy to get along with.

Cons

Underpaid, political, poor leadership. Don't recommend.

"Branch Manager"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Flint, MI

I have been working at Chemical Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company cares about the employees and the communities they work in. We are encouraged to get out and volunteer in the communities, become board members and just get involved. We are able to make local decisions for our customers, tweak accounts to fit the customers needs and managers are empowered to make decisions for the customers needs. The company could not ask for a better leaded than Tom Shaffer. He truly knows what he is doing and will do nothing but lead this company in the correct direction. The company is not down sizing, they have combined branches that are in close proximity and tried to place as many employees of closing branches. This company will continue to grow with many opportunities if your willing to work and prove yourself.

Cons

Most branches in the Flint area anyway need at least one more employee. The job of manager is expected to be out on the road meeting with prospects and existing customers, the problem they are used as coverage as a teller in branches and unable to get out. Between that and many reports.

Advice to Management

Let a manager be a manager, they have many things to do, such as coaching, training, building the business and unfortunately some of this gets placed on the back burner because the customers come first. Continue in the direction we are going and take the back office work out of the branch.

8. "Banking Center Manager Officer"

Current Employee - Banking Center Manager/Office in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Banking Center Manager/Office in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Chemical Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company cares about their employee's! They run contest so that you can win different things from time to time. They also ask questions and take our opinion to heart. Tom Shafer will do great with this company and make sure that it is around for years to come. Yes, Tom has to make difficult decisions and sometimes they are not popular ones, however these decisions in the long run will only benefit the customer and those of us working for this company.

Cons

Some may say the price of benefits. However that is not fair as no matter where you go all of the benefits are high. Such as Medical, dental and eye.

Advice to Management

Continue to make the right decisions to keep this company up and running. Continue to take care of your employee's, Happy employee's make for happy customers. Bring in a better incentive program than we had in 2016.

"Mixed Feelings"

Former Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Chemical Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Local managers can still help fight for their customers to get approvals and do the right thing.

Cons

Overall moral is dropping. Company is downsizing and closing many offices. System conversion is coming up with more changes. Low pay. Lower than the standard banks. Fees are increasing for things that used to be free for our customers. Always short staffed in the offices.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and your customers. Promote from within and hire more so employees aren't working 6 days.

"2016 Merger Changed Culture"

Former Employee - Part Time Teller
    Former Employee - Part Time Teller

I worked at Chemical Bank part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefit package. Sufficient pay scale. Consistent training.

Cons

After Talmer merger: Not flexible schedule. Management showed favoritism. HR was not helpful in solving real issues; seemed to brush things under the rug.