Chemonics International Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Susanna Mudge

Pros
Cons
  • Very high expectations which rarely lead to a work/life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Long hours, demanding new business involvement (in 20 reviews)

1. "Great company, Committed people"

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time

Pros

It is refreshing to see a company committed to doing the right thing, every time. I have appreciated the increasing attention to how our work contributes to the Sustainable Development Goals, and increasing technical leadership within the industry. Since the same people work on proposal development and program implementation, I've gotten the chance to hep design programs and then watch them make a difference in people's lives. A strong ethics program and solid systems to ensure compliance make sure the work is done the right way. At first I thought that the focus on developing the global workforce and on digital transformation were just rhetorical, but I'm seeing that we are making big investments and improvements in these areas. It's also great that the company is 100% owned by employees, and I'm surprised how fast my ESOP account is growing, and I'm glad that ownership includes both US and developing country staff.

Cons

It's great to be surrounded by so many talented and committed people, but with Chemonics high staff retention (91% in 2016) it means that I haven't been promoted as quickly as I would have liked. Also, while opportunity for international travel is one of the things that attracted me to Chemonics, too much of a good thing can be tiring.

Advice to Management

Keep being honest, transparent, and humble and keep remembering why we're here.

"It Depends"

Current Employee - Program Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Chemonics International (More than 5 years)

Pros

Chemonics is an outstanding training ground for international development. You will get very broad technical, geographic, and administrative experience. Extremely transferrable skills that are sought after and highly regarded by other organizations throughout the industry.

Cons

Like with most jobs, your boss can make or break your experience. I had outstanding and horrible bosses at Chemonics and unfortunately ended on the latter. Overall, be prepared to work a lot and put in your hours. You will be stretched thin and there isn't much (if any) respect for your personal life. I also started questioning the values of the organization during the transition to the employee ownership scheme. Something fishy was going on here and it is unclear how this was really for the benefit of the employees and not just for the shareholders who were getting their quarterly installments regardless of Chemonics (at the time) poor performance. Left a very bad taste in the mouth.

"Chief of Party"

Current Employee - Chief of Party in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Chief of Party in Washington, DC

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee friendly company, that considers all needs work to be successful.

Cons

Very competitive, it is difficult to get a job here.

"Director"

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time

Pros

Great travel opportunities, purpose-driven organization, learn ins and outs of project management.

Cons

Burn out, more generalists than area specialists

"Committed to mission, benefit from employee ownership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

All my colleagues at Chemonics are devoted to making the world a better place by accomplishing the company's mission of helping people live healthier, more productive lives. It makes is much easier to come to work everyday at a place so dedicated to such an important mission. In addition, we don't work for some abstract shareholders but for ourselves. 100% of the company is owned by the employees through an ESOP, and that has meant really impressive growth in my retirement account. After years of contributing to the maximum my 401k, my ESOP has outgrown it in a few short years.

Cons

Chemonics implements development project primarily for the US Government, and that means complex rules and regulations that we have to follow. On a bad day, that can take some of the joy out of the amazing work we are doing around the world. However, it's the cost of being good stewards of taxpayer money and having zero tolerance for corruption even in some of the world's most difficult places.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the mission. Remember to put employees and the communities we serve first. The investments we are making in the future in our systems and global workforce are important.

7. "Well run organization for the most part"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ISO 9001 certified. Great processes and reason to believe this will continue to improve.

Cons

Growing very quickly due to recent very large win. Has spread thin the talent pool

Advice to Management

Incentivize employees to work in low demand RBUs, units.

"I have loved it here. Most of the time."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely filled with a bunch of Type As.... but they're generally really nice, and capable. Are moving inexorably toward a better work-life harmony.

Cons

Definitely filled with a bunch of Type As.... And in terms of work-life harmony you have to make it happen. The structure is there but they will take as much as you give them and ask nicely for more.

Advice to Management

Keep moving towards flexibility!

"two years in"

Current Employee - Program Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good team, great benefits, and amazing culture of service

Cons

long hours, mediocre pay. expect everyone to be generalists but do not reward anyone with technical experience other than making them take on extra roles/hours on business development roles

Advice to Management

let employees focus on their job and have business development teams take care of new business

"Great for a learning experience, then get out."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Chemonics has provided an incredible learning opportunity of managing large-scale USG (mostly USAID) funded projects and business development. The people make the place -- wonderful colleagues.

Cons

Work life balance does not exist at any level of management, no matter what HR tells new hires during the on-boarding process. If you're not prepared to work 12hr days and get little to no appreciation for it, this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Pay everyone more for their time, cut the bull about long hours equating to professional growth opportunities, and hire more employees to share the workload.

"Doing it right"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Chemonics International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people at Chemonics are some of the best people you will ever meet. Everyone is there because they want the world to be a better place, and they want to do their job the right way in the process. The culture makes it a realistic, positive place to work.

Cons

Sometimes work/life balance seems out of reach, and at times you can be asked to drop everything to fly out on assignment the next day - most of the time this is due to approvals coming in last minute, which you come to get used to.

Advice to Management

Keep putting the right people in the right positions. Suzi Mudge is a brilliant CEO and the promotion of Will Keller to CFO was a great decision. I am so happy to get to work with some of the most talented, honest, caring people in the world.