Cherokee Town & Country Club Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael Wheeler, MCM

1. "Great Establishment"

Current Employee - Terrace Level Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Terrace Level Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Cherokee Town & Country Club (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Standards. They really value teamwork throughout establishment. Great environment to excel in.

Cons

Fluctuation of management & CEOs

Cherokee Town & Country Club Response

Aug 15, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We appreciate that you see the teamwork efforts that we make here at Cherokee. Our motto is "What can I do, How can I help?". We do feel that some management will ... More

2. "It is a wonderful, humbling and learning experience."

Current Employee - Hostess in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Hostess in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cherokee Town & Country Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with amazing people that are very helpful. There is room to grow and move around within the club.

Cons

There can be complications with pay and upstairs management. Sometimes the members can be a little hard to deal with.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to your employees and the type of effort they put in working with the members before you complain.

"This club is built on lies, low pay, secrets, and a good ol' boys club."

Current Employee - Beverage Team in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Beverage Team in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cherokee Town & Country Club full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, dinner, maintenance team is a good set of guys, I'm having trouble coming up with 20 good words about this place.

Cons

Do you enjoy a working environment similar to the don't ask don't tell policy of the military? Look no further than to get a job here. Wait, I take that back. You can "tell" all you want but depending on who the member is, or employee is you can't always expect things to be done or corrected. The management of Cherokee makes decision based on personal feelings and not good business ethics. Do you like being used for a period of time and not compensated? Good! This is the place for you. Every crappy job presented to you will be looked at as an "opportunity" meaning little or no pay and or promotion. When you ask about anything you are made to feel silly and ungrateful for even asking. Why would anyone question the decisions of a Cherokee manager?? As a member of the beverage staff it was painful to watch all the turnover. Hopeful employees hired on only to have their needs go unanswered all while management and membership nitpick everything apart. Sign me up! Young kids and adults alike wet themselves to work at one of the "best clubs in America". What they don't know is that this honor is paid for. $1500 a year. The true best clubs are out there recognized as best and don't give AF about paying for their status. Why? Because they don't need to. Unless you are the CFO, Club Manager, executive chef, golf or tennis director, your pay will be lower than average. Why? All the money is going to these positions. Bottom line Stay away. Run. You'll thank me later.

Advice to Management

See above and fix it. Maybe fix yourself first.

5. "Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Georgia in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Georgia in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great benefits
    Management is leading experts in their fields
    Great learning experience

Cons

Same as most places I guess.

Advice to Management

Maintain the cherokee standards

6. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cherokee Town & Country Club full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, great managers who really seem to care about the employees. Free meals, free parking, good health insurance and benefits. The membership is great to work for as well.

Cons

The hours are long and hard as they are anywhere in hospitality. Buckhead location has bad traffic to get there and little parking.

Cherokee Town & Country Club Response

Aug 15, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to have the best culture at Cherokee! I am glad you are having a positive experience and understand the traffic issues that can be experienced on West Paces ... More

7. "Amazing!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cherokee Town & Country Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This place is a tough place to get a job at but a great place to work in. Great pay and really nice people.

Cons

Sometimes there aren't enough hours to go around. There were times when i didnt have work for weeks.

Advice to Management

Try give better benefits and more hours. I had to leave because i didnt get enough hours.

8. "Great customer service experience."

Former Employee - Caddie in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Caddie in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cherokee Town & Country Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the best things about working here was the ability to speak to members who held a significant amount of clout and be able to exploit any relationships made on the course to network.
    Another great thing was the availability of meaningful employment for younger people (specifically high schoolers) who can attain a great deal of work experience and enhanced professionalism and communication skills even if they are employed for a summer.

Cons

The only bad thing that really stands out in my mind was having to arrive between 3 and 5 AM to be guaranteed an opportunity to get out on the course to caddie. Other than that, there were not really any glaringly bad things about being employed there.

Advice to Management

The only advice I would have, specifically for the management of caddies, is to develop some kind of online sign-up for X amount of caddies and then everyone who does not sign up would be able to come out and get any members who request a caddie after those who were signed up online had gotten out onto the course.

9. "Banquet Service"

Current Employee - Banquet Server in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Banquet Server in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cherokee Town & Country Club part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff is fun to work with.
    A few captains have leadership qualities.
    Flexible with schedules.
    Ability to meet and speak with various CEOs and owners of large corporations thru member events was a plus.
    Employee golf benefits.

Cons

Mandatory work days on every holiday.
    Lack of accountability in Captain and Managerial roles.
    Work is monotonous and boring.
    Company promotes OSHA regulations but fails to follow them in many safety aspects

Advice to Management

Follow safety regulations before someone gets seriously injured.

10. "Great organization to work for with very friendly members"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Extremely friendly members
    always treated with respect and always given an opportunity to make suggestions to improve work processes with any member of management

Cons

limited growth potential for anyone not looking to pursue a career in the private golf club industry
    hours can be limited during winter

Advice to Management

one of only a couple of private clubs to offer an employee training program which promotes a family environment and increases retention rates

11. "I Love Working Here!"

I have been working at Cherokee Town & Country Club full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cherokee has provided me with several career advancements and supports professional development through industry organizations that are not necessarily Club industry related. I have grown personally and professionally during my time here.
    Also, there are so many disciplines under one roof: accounting, F & B, golf, tennis, maintenance, golf course maintenance. It is interesting to get a glimpse at other areas and how they affect the same membership that you serve.

Cons

There is a lot of volume and moving parts at the Club. While you usually get all the information you need to know, sometimes you have to wait to get information that you WANT to know due to the pace and volume of business.