Cherry Bekaert LLP Reviews

Updated Jun 15, 2021

Found 228 of over 246 reviews

4.0
Cherry Bekaert LLP Firm Managing Partner Michelle Thompson (no image)
Michelle Thompson
Pros
  • "Schedules are very flexible which leads to a good work/life balance(in 19 reviews)

• "Great people and great flexibility(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Busy season is is pretty hectic(in 29 reviews)

• "Can be long hours depending on where you work(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Wonderful place to work!!!

May 27, 2021 - Accountant in Greenville, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Best accounting firm I've worked for

Cons

None that I can think of

HR Senior Manager

Thanks for the positive review. We value our employees and their opinions, thanks for sharing!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

LOVE IT!

May 21, 2021 - Valuation Analyst in Bethesda, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love the team! Good benefits! Work life balance is great!

Cons

Probably the 401k? its like 3%. and the fact that its not a national firm...yet.

HR Senior Manager

Thank you for your enthusiastic 5 star review! While not a national firm, our growth is exciting! Regarding the 401(k), the Firm matches 50% of the first 6% of eligible compensation that employees contribute. Thanks again for your feedback!

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Administrative Bloat and bureaucratic processes

May 19, 2021 - Senior Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Generous PTO, amazing maternity leave / time off for family emergencies, competitive 401k matching and other benefits

Cons

Unresponsive employees (primarily senior management), dysfunction and silo mentality when working on cross-service line projects, increased administrative bloat, low-quality small clients

Cherry Bekaert LLP Response

We care about the health and well-being of our employees and are glad it shows. Taking care of employees is the first step to taking care of clients so Cherry Bekaert is proud to offer a competitive benefits package. As the firm grows, changes in policies and processes can be difficult and we strive to improve communication to explain the changes and to ask for feedback from our associates. We appreciate your feedback on what challenges may be getting overlooked so that we can improve the experience for our employees.

4. 5.0

Accounting Internship

Jun 15, 2021 - Accounting Intern in Fairfax, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility, Mid-sized company, Respectful Environment

Cons

I have not worked long enough to establish these.

Cherry Bekaert LLP Response

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your internship experience! An internship is a great way to learn professional and applicable skills, but even more about an organization’s culture and people. We are constantly looking to improve, and appreciate hearing what we are doing right.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great culture, not the greatest compensation

Jun 14, 2021 - Audit Associate in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

-love the work and the people

Cons

-too much work for amount paid

Cherry Bekaert LLP Response

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! We agree—the workload in public accounting can certainly get overwhelming at times. Our people really are the foundation to the amazing culture we have so thanks for all that you do and for the feedback.

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great experience but wouldn’t work full-time

Jun 4, 2021 - Tax Seasonal in Richmond, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I gained a lot of exposure to new accounting softwares.

Cons

As a tax seasonal with no prior accounting experience, you will be given a lot of busy work especially during busy season because of how crazy it can be that you wouldn’t be able to ask as many questions you’d like.

HR Senior Manager

Thanks for the feedback and for your help during busy season, it is much appreciated! I’ve shared your suggestion about creating a training program for our seasonal workers. We’re constantly looking to improve the experience for our employees, and your honest input helps to make that happen.

7. 5.0

Amazing Company

May 19, 2021 - Recruiting Coordinator in Richmond, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Generous PTO, generous referral program, great team environment and endless opportunities for growth. I can't say enough great things about Cherry Bekaert!

Cons

None at all! Highly recommend!

HR Senior Manager

Great to hear you are so satisfied with your time so far at Cherry Bekaert! We appreciate your input.

8. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Growing Firm with a Decent Balance of Pros and Cons

May 11, 2021 - Audit Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

- More vacation time than you will ever actually be able to use. - Smaller firm size allows for associates to interact with upper-level management rather frequently. - Despite the relative size of the Firm, it is actively investing in new technologies and trainings that will keep it competitive into the foreseeable future. - There are some seriously good people at this firm. Experiences are likely to vary by office, but I have been continually impressed with the vast majority of my coworkers. - Firm actively recruits from within, and actually seems to care about employees' desired career paths. - While smaller in the world of Public Accounting, Cherry Bekaert does perform a decent amount of work for Publicly Traded Companies, Private Equity groups, larger mid-market private companies, and well-known not-for-profits. For those that don't desire the Public life long-term, this experience is useful for future job placements. - Mandated billable hours during busy season appears to be in-line/slightly lower than other comparable firms (55/week). While 12-hour days aren't exactly a positive in any job, you won't be expected to work 80-hour weeks.

Cons

- As with all Public Accounting/Professional Services firms, the pay does not really make up for the hours. - Mid-market clients can be quite the mess. Smaller client size reduces their investment in their accounting function, and you end up seeing some really weird/messy stuff. While this can be interesting, it can also be extremely frustrating when it is just one of 4-5 problem clients in the same week. - Similarly to other accounting firms, there are actually multiple busy seasons. You've got the typical January-to-May stretch with the commercial clients, late summer-October with NFP/Employee Benefit Plans/Governments, and a few other busy periods depending on client types. More-junior staff are bounced around from client to client, which can be a bit hectic (and stressful). - Cherry Bekaert was quick to follow other firms with layoffs/compensation reductions/higher billable targets during the Pandemic Shutdowns. While this is understandable from a business perspective, it may have "poisoned the well" a bit with existing associates for the foreseeable future. - Decently high turnover. Management is quick to dismiss this by saying that turnover is "in line with industry averages", but their calculation methodology is flawed. They appear to only count year-over-year changes in headcount, and not actual employees hired/terminated. While this is a natural byproduct of the industry (and fairly beneficial to the Firm, as it keeps wages lower), the turnover creates a knowledge drain that can be disruptive to existing engagements.

1 person found this review helpful

Cherry Bekaert LLP Response

Thanks for taking the time to provide your perspective. We care about the health and well-being of our employees and despite our better than industry-average hours requirements, we recognize the pandemic related burn out many people are experiencing. Cherry Bekaert strives to build a culture that values collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and belonging. We are constantly looking to improve the experience for our employees, and your honest input helps to make that happen.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Solid Entry into Public Accounting

May 19, 2021 - Audit Associate in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people as cliche as it sounds.

Cons

Busy season still takes a toll even though it’s a mid-size firm.

HR Senior Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! Our people really are the foundation to the amazing culture we have. Thanks again for the feedback.

10. 4.0
      Former Employee

Overall good mid-size CPA firm to work for!

Apr 12, 2021 - Staff Accountant in Miami, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Management was very hands on and stepped in when instruction was needed. Partners made a renewed effort to make appearances during company functions. HR function was responsive and helpful.

Cons

Hour requirements during off-season were difficult to meet, and new associates would be begging for work, which seniors did not want to give out, so they could meet their hour requirements.

HR Senior Manager

Thank you for the feedback on how responsive and available you found management, partners, and HR to be to your needs. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 228 Reviews