Cherry Bekaert Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Cherry Bekaert Firm Managing Partner Howard J. Kies
Howard J. Kies

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is mostly good (in 10 reviews)

• Much more so than big 4 accounting firms (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Busy season hours, no guaranteed match on 401k, smaller annual raises than other firms expensive health insurance (in 10 reviews)

• Some periods with LONG hours and tight deadlines / budget pressures (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best of both worlds - Big Firm Resources/Small firm culture."

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Work life balance matters. Management actually hears you. Competitive salary and benefits.

Cons

There is nothing negative specific to the firm that comes to mind.

Apr 24, 2017 – Executive Recruiter

Thanks for your great perspective! We care about the health and well-being of our employees and are glad it shows.

2. "Amazing company, great people, interesting work"

Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Cherry Bekaert full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for CB was such an amazing and fulfilling experience. The audit department is comprised of a close-knit group of individuals who work tremendously hard to provide excellent services to our clients. CB not only invests in you professionally (offering challenging work, a variety of clients, assistance with CPA exams) but also personally (maintaining work-life balance, flexible schedules) and has endless support for its employees. I enjoyed going to work everyday to be surrounded by intelligent, hard-working professional who have not only become my coworkers, but my mentors and friends. Working for CB will offer so many opportunities for your career and life. Would recommend 10 times out 10!

Cons

The only downside of CB, like working for any public firm, is the Busy Season. That being said, CB finds ways to reward its employees for working so hard and hosts events to encourage fun during a high-stress time.

Jul 10, 2017 – Executive Recruiter

It was great to hear that you were extremely satisfied with your time at Cherry Bekaert and that you had a positive, affirming experience! We appreciate your input.

3. "Audit Manager"

I worked at Cherry Bekaert full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people, great bosses, good experience overall.

Cons

Below average benefits especially their retirement plan.

Jul 26, 2017 – Executive Recruiter

Thanks for your input. We couldn’t agree more that Cherry Bekaert has friendly people and great managers! Since we want to provide the best for our employees, we will take your feedback into... More

4. "Job Review - Audit"

Pros

The people I worked with are great and the flexibility of the job is a benefit, especially during the summer when you can flex your time.

Cons

Public accounting is a very busy field and especially during tax season, you're working 50+ billable hours without overtime and managing multiple jobs all at once. And if you are in audit, you won't be in the office at your desk much since you'll be traveling back and forth to different clients.

Advice to Management

More timely feedback of job performance - people don't know how they're doing until a significant amount of time has passed, let lower staff do upward communication of their managers/seniors

Jun 27, 2017 – Executive Recruiter

At Cherry Bekaert, we love feedback! We agree that the client service industry requires hard work and dedication along with longer hours during busy season. That’s why we try and provide a flexible... More

"Toxic Culture and Lack of Leadership"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Coral Gables, FL
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Coral Gables, FL

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff, seniors and admin are excellent professionals and very welcoming. Great location. Flex time during summer. Dress for your day which let's you be flexible depending the client/industry. HR position is new and planning for certain changes in the way things work internally.

Cons

- Healthcare is expensive.
    - 401k match is not attractive.
    - There's lack of emotional intelligence to handle employees. They blame everyone from the bottom and don't take responsibility. No empathy with employees. Don't fall for the smiles and promises they give you on interviews. This place is very toxic. Not worth it. A lot of gossip about employees. There's some psycological games in the audit department.
    - No meetings to communicate where we are going and what are the plans in the long term.
    - Management is not in the position to help anyone but the bottom line.
    - No support to employees other than saying negative things about you. They want you to be perfect but they don't help you reach your full potential. They tell you one thing to change it later. Budgets are not realistic considering today's accounting/audit changes.
    - Ft Luaderdale's office is empty because of all the drama and blaming to staff/seniors. Two managers left within 6 months.
    - All this is contrary to the CEO's tone.
    - Recently they implemented a requirement to report everyday to the admin assistant on your whereabouts every morning. Like if it were highschool.
    - Very difficult to take PTO's.

Advice to Management

Change the culture and leadership style. Employ emotional intelligence. Appreciate the team that you have which is willing to go the extra mile. The team is loyal, however, due to lack of positive feedback the morale is low.

Jul 21, 2017 – Partner

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
    You are right about healthcare – rising costs continue to be a challenge that our country faces. To help with this, Cherry Bekaert offers several... More

"Admin Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Coral Gables, FL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Coral Gables, FL

I worked at Cherry Bekaert (More than a year)

Pros

Smart associates, great culture, interesting work. Work life balance is mostly good. Good problem solving

Cons

The H/R presence is much needed in this office . Turnover is very high due to lack of good management/leadership.

May 30, 2017 – Executive Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback on the “great culture” and for your suggestion! We are always looking for ways to improve employee satisfaction including the recent addition of a local HR associate... More

7. "Audit Senior Accountant"

Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Cherry Bekaert full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, good work-life balance, hands-on/learning experience. Everyone is extremely friendly, helpful, and wants you to succeed. As a staff/senior, I was given the opportunity to work on clients in a variety of different industries.

Cons

Not too much opportunity for travel.

Jun 29, 2017 – Executive Recruiter

Thank you for your input! We pride ourselves in providing an exceptional work environment for our employees and appreciate the positive response. We’re sorry that you didn’t travel as much as you... More

8. "Good Employer - Making Next Level Leap"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant/Auditor in Coral Gables, FL
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant/Auditor in Coral Gables, FL

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management Individuals (Managers, Partners) demonstrate a commitment to teaching which is paramount for career development of staff. Good two-way communication to and from Management. Changes and improvements are made based on feedback provided; of course when plausible. Great flexibility with respect to outside commitments and circumstances, as expectations are clearly communicated. Very cohesive group with respect to South Florida Practice. Making efforts for increased abilities to work remotely, which is always a plus.

Cons

Hours can be long - as it the issue with the profession.
    Benefits are not up to par with the market (Expensive Health Premiums, Minimal Match on 401(k)).

Advice to Management

Consideration should be given to improvement of Benefits.

Jun 19, 2017 – Executive Recruiter

As an experienced CB associate, thanks for taking the time to share your opinion! We agree that Cherry Bekaert is moving to the next level in South Florida! The client service industry can certainly... More

9. "Cherry Bekaert, my experience with the firm"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Cherry Bekaert full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance. You will not work near the hours that your peers at other firms work. To put this in perspective, I have friends who were working until 2am at big 4 firms, while Cherry Bekaert employees were complaining if they were at the office last 6.

Cons

The training and experience you receive is totally based on the team you're assigned to, and it's honestly a crapshoot. You don't really have much say in where you're assigned- some people will have solid managers and jobs that allow them to grow exponentially while others fall to the wayside. You'll be told by management early on that you'll be able to choose your industry and team but this isn't necessarily the case. Partners in Raleigh aren't connected enough to day-to-day tasks to understand this or care about it.
    Additionally, exit opportunities can be slim based on the clients you work on. CB is huge on governments and not-for-profits which is great if you plan on staying in public accounting forever. Otherwise, it may hurt your career.
    Salary is comparable to other firms, but benefits are much worse. This is something I didn't realize off the bat so be sure to read the fine print before you sign.

Advice to Management

Expand your client base beyond governments and NFPS. Those industries aren't the most exciting for an up and coming CPA

Jun 19, 2017 – Executive Recruiter

Thanks for providing your feedback although some of it was tough to hear. We’re pleased that you worked fewer hours at Cherry Bekaert and still received a comparable salary to your friends that work... More

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have only been working for Cherry Bekaert LLP for a few months and have had a great experience thus far. As a mid-career professional, it is a big transition to start at a new company and I was very nervous at first. From the beginning the Human Resources Recruiting team was very nice and so helpful. They made themselves readily available whenever I had questions or concerns. The Virginia Beach staff is very welcoming and cordial. The staff is very professional but also a great group of individuals to work with. I enjoy coming into the office and working with my co-workers.
             Cherry Bekaert has so many great benefits including "MyLife" which is basically being able to have a flexible schedule. The company believes in the balance of work and life therefore giving you the option to work remotely from home on days when more convenient or having a flexible schedule according the needs of your personal life and family.
            The company has changed the dress policy to "dress for your day" which is exactly what it states. If you have client meetings of course you are expected to be in business attire but if you do not have meetings, it is acceptable to wear jeans or dress business casual. This is a great option to have for me.
                    The Virginia Beach office knows how to have fun! Within the few months I have been employed by the company I have attended several outings including Top Golf. Also, one does not go hungry in this office either as the company provides many breakfasts, lunches, and dinners during busy tax season.
         Cherry Bekaert takes community service and giving back to the community seriously by raising money every Friday to give to a local charity or cause which the employees choose. I think it is great knowing every Friday a local charity or cause have received a donation with my help.
          Overall, the company is a great company to work!

Cons

Long hours during tax season but that is to be expected with the business.

May 3, 2017 – Executive Recruiter

Wow, what awesome detailed feedback! We’re happy to hear that Cherry Bekaert has proven to be such a great fit for you. Thank you for taking the time to express your satisfaction with the Firm, we... More